Yonex BG 66 Ultimax

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by Badominton, Sep 19, 2010.

1. moomoo

moomoo Regular Member

frayed and not snap? thats hardcore slicing man! :D

2. dollargood

dollargood Regular Member

If another 1hr of play, confirmed snap....frayed areas in the middle

3. Nauroa

Nauroa Regular Member

IT Geek
    I had my BS11 strung with BG66 Ultimax @ 26 lbs this week. It felt a little tight. Should I go down to 24-25 or will it loose the extra lbs after some weeks by itself?

4. dunmaster

dunmaster Regular Member

Tension will drop over time, and if you don't have a tourney to play, I would wait and see how it feels. You may like the new tension.

5. drew tze en

drew tze en Regular Member

For me, I am really offensive in my play and using the BG66UM I think these strings are really good
    I have just been playing with BG80 and I don't like them as much.
    I am just wondering if anyone else agrees me ?

6. tartiflette

tartiflette Regular Member

Can anyone tell me the difference between bg66 UM and bg66 Maxima ???? Thanks.

7. ns9900

ns9900 Regular Member

Equally repulsive and powerful. Maxima has softer feel, which is what i preferred. both strings compared at 28lbs on vt80 3ug5. same grips same config.

8. Polaroid

Polaroid Regular Member

Student
    Love love Love this string. It lasted me about 2~3months for the BG66UM. If you just get a BG66 it only lasted me 1 month.

9. dunmaster

dunmaster Regular Member

great string, no doubt!

10. Mr Norak

Mr Norak Regular Member

I prefer BG66UM over BG80 but saying that I have only ever used 66 and 80 so I am not sure if anything else is better.

11. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    can you explain your preference?

12. mizivincible

mizivincible Regular Member

Does anyone here like their BG6UM to be prestretched ?

I used 26lbs + 10% by ES5 Pro, and kinda like it, only recently it didnt feel as lively as before due to tension dropped (It did hold for good 1 month).

Should I go higher 27lbs +10%, or just 29 or 30lbs ?

13. istringforyou

istringforyou Regular Member

To pre-stretch BG66UM is like eroding it's effective durability. This string despite being slightly more durable than BG66, is still considered a little fragile. While doing a prestretch for as little as 5% does prolong the tension, it is not doing it's hyped durability over BG66 much favours. From my experience, BG66UM, is already as repulsive as any of those high repulsive strings like BG80 at -2LB. Meaning if you like the repulsion of BG80 at 28LB, 26LB would be enough for BG66UM, that is my opinion. Also from my experience, and also depending on stringer and equipment, BG66UM operate ideally at 25-26LB from a recreational player's perspective. Why is because this string has a strange knack of losing its 'sting' and feel enormously on tension loss. While strings like BG66 still loses tension but yet playable (on my perspective), BG66UM is totally unplayable when tension is lost. The feeling is very much different. I do not know the quality of BG66UM JP though. But i have tried BG66M JP. The feeling and shock absorption is softer and better and does not go way down under when tension is lost. BG66UM in 25-26LB, the tension holds slightly better than at >26LB. The pros wont mind because they string at every match. But us recreational players can see the diff. While BG66UM is an exceptionally good string, it is not economical. You can try higher than 27LB, but i guess the results will be pretty similar to my experience, i.e it goes dead quicker than usual.

14. istringforyou

istringforyou Regular Member

I have played and strung many rackets over the years. This is my opinion of BG66UM and BG80:

Power: BG66UM = BG80
    Repulsion: At the same tension, BG66UM >= BG80
    Durability: BG66UM = BG80
    Hitting Sound: BG80 >= BG80
    Shock Absorption: BG66UM > BG80
    Control: BG66UM > BG80
    Feel: BG66UM (Medium), BG80 (Hard)
    Tension Retention: Not good (loses 2LB in a month) But at least BG80 doesnt play dead fish on tension loss. BG66UM is an ultimate deadfish when loss in high tensions >26LB)

15. mizivincible

mizivincible Regular Member

I see ! That was the problem then. Seriously once it loses tension, its not playable. I thot of stringing higher so that it settles at the tension I like but Im wrong then. Now my BG66U on SW35 is dead, no repulsion. I experienced once, but gave it another try with prestretch, real good on first 2 weeks but dead and numb after that.

Thanks for sharing, I sent my racket to be strung with NS95@30lbs, see how does it play, eventho I cant hit well with 0.67mm BG85, or 0.68mm BG80/NS70, will try out 0.70mm at higher tension. If not, I can always fall back to BG66 at 27lbs.

16. ammil89

ammil89 Regular Member

Between Jobs
    been playing with BG66um 26lbs(3month) and another 25mainx26 cross(1month) , both r still retaining tension and i love them both ^_^ i just let them rest under air-conditioned room at night after a session :)

17. reddot1

reddot1 Regular Member

student
    I have been playing with BG66UM (30lbs) for 3 months now. The hitting sound is incridible compare to other strings. But the sad news is the tension broke my new bought voltric 80 as it suprised me, cuz i had 3 vt80 strung at the same tension but the newest one broke.

18. juventus1

juventus1 Regular Member

Dear all....

why you all comparing different thickness and different tension?

String are based on user preference/style of play and etc...

19. dunmaster

dunmaster Regular Member

played it for over 1 month now. it's still going strong! looks like it will replace my old favorite NBG 98.

20. Khai_AS10

Khai_AS10 Regular Member

Project Basis
    Well for me, BG66UM among the playable string at the moment.... Got repulsion, power and control.... about the sound I think it is not so important since like Master ZJH said: "If you hit the shuttle and can hear the crisp sound then you are good"...... Hehehe....

Also as my stringer told me: BG66UM among the best string so far....... but you cant string it to higher tension >27lbs because of the thickness...

Just imagine: 0.65mm thk with 29lbs or 30lbs then the thickness will be what....... 0.62, 0.61, 0.60 or 0.58??
    so it will cut your racket frame..... Hahaha..... just kidding......

Well this is just my opinion.