Wang Lin ( 王琳 )

Discussion in 'China Professional Players' started by seawell, Mar 12, 2006.

1. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Apparently, Germany have a very high standard when it comes to reconstruction of ACL - some of the top in the world are in Germany.

2. scorpion1

scorpion1 Regular Member

Exciting one
    WangLin's career should not end like that. China need to take steps to make her play as early as possible. She was their strength 2 years back and now they have to give her back. I wish higher chinese officials other than Li Yongbo(No Offense. If he sees, he will further worsens the injury by calling her to play more games even in nationals :()need to take care of her with utmost attention and respect :).

#1322 scorpion1, Dec 29, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2012
  3. Borbor

Borbor Regular Member

China need to take steps to make sure she undergoes rehab properly and not rush back into competition. No athlete (nevermind a person) should suffer from blowing out the same knee multiple times.

4. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    It is highly unlikely we see her play again.

5. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    :crying::crying::crying::crying::crying::crying::crying::crying::crying::crying::crying::crying::crying::crying::crying::crying:

6. azrenth

azrenth Regular Member

student
    hope wang lin can back ASAP :(

7. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

The latest news on Wang Lin http://sports.qq.com/a/20130131/000496.htm
    I shall humbly attempt to translate the last three paragraphs, the earlier parts are a recap of her injuries more or less:

At the end of the National Team Championship, Wang Lin returned to Hangzhou for recuperation. Owing to her knee injury, she has to wear a brace,practically unable to walk,the only rehabilitative exercise she can do is to raise her outstretched leg. Although she goes out occasionally to meet friends,but because she has to depend on a wheelchair to leave the house and someone to wheel her around, she usually spends more time at home. For her,such a free and easy life without training was what she'd wished for when in the national team, yet now that she found herself in such a situation, she felt uncomfortable all over. She exclaimed:"Unable to go out,coop up at home the whole day, how boring!"

On 18th January,Wang Lin headed for the Beijing 3rd Hospital to carry out her knee injury follow-up checkup and thereafter to decide on the next treatment plan. What she wished to do most now is to quietly recuperate from her injury. She said, after recovery,she wants to do her studies, but as to what to study, she hasn't got any definite idea yet. But one thing is certain, she wants to learn English. She said:" Not demanding how well I learn but at least be able to communicate basically."

As for her future, Wang Lin admitted she's not thinking too much, for at heart she is unable to let go of her badminton sentiments; after all the white spirit(shuttlecock) has accompanied her day and night for more than 10 years,to suddenly put it down, nobody can bear to. She said:" At heart it's certainly unbearable,but in future whether I can return to badminton, how to come back,let Fate decide !"

[A note on my translation: I prefer to stay as close as possible to the original, retaining the Chinese flavour; hope you don't mind my amateurish effort. I just want to share the news with fellow fans, that's all. Those of you who are good at translation might care to give me some advice.]

8. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

[FONT=宋体]A minor point, the phrase "随缘吧" I translated it as "let Fate decide" (or leave it to Fate)based on my understanding though the literal meaning is "just let it be" or" just go with the flow", alternatively.[/FONT]

9. Pakito

Pakito Regular Member

service consultant
    No need to go overboard with variation of 90%-100% correctness. It is good enough as it is. :cool:

10. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Thanks for your understanding ad encouragement.

For Wang Lin's case, I'm fairly pessimistic that she could make a third comeback, esp when her second one took almost two years to overcome her injury phobia, that nagging fear of injury acts as a deterrent and mental restriction to her game, worse than the injury itself. Remember she was always wearing a left knee support to give her the re-assurance and confidence every time she plays, almost like a fetish;in fact,she admitted as much that every time she landed on her left leg, she would hesitate a fraction of a second to ensure she was alright before continuing with her motion.

But life is unpredictable and full of surprises. Who knows, Wang Lin becomes even tougher and stronger than ever, or maybe there is a breakthrough in medical science for treating ACL completely with its recurrent rate almost zero - just indulging in some wishful thinking.

11. Fan888

Fan888 Regular Member

She is still in a wheelchair? That doesn't sound good.

12. Heong

Heong Regular Member

I want to cry... she's the most misfortunate player ever!!!

Good shes learning English, hope I can communicate with her one day : D

13. Ton-Min-Bad

Ton-Min-Bad Regular Member

Again your words seem to suggest that she is to blame for not being able to overcome her phobia. The problem was not the fear itself. The problem was that she (body and mind) wasn't really ready for playing again, that she obviously didn't take the right amount of time in order to come back. If taken seriously the fear would have saved her from getting injured once again.

14. Pakito

Pakito Regular Member

service consultant
    I think it's high debatable with no clear conclusions about what went wrong with WL, with the lines separating fear and insufficient rest time very blurry. Anyway it's water under the bridge now, let's wish her a well deserved and speedy recovery. And if it doesn't work out in the end, we wish her well too.

15. Ton-Min-Bad

Not debatable at all IMO. The fear (body signal) was there. She got injured two more times on the same knee.

Anyway...although it might sound strange at first view: there's always something good to take from such a devastating experience. I wish her all the best for the future!

16. Fan888

Fan888 Regular Member

What do you guy think of the statement that Germany hospital is used to treating football and snow sport injuries, but not badminton? Plus she had no special rehab after 3 months in China.

17. Ton-Min-Bad

The main goal of a therapy is: to make the basic functions of a knee work again (walking, running, jumping etc.). Everything else will follow.

Don't know what to think about the rehab speculation. But I really can't imagine her being kind of left alone with her problems.

18. Ton-Min-Bad

BTW: Where's this statement from?

19. Fan888

Fan888 Regular Member

No doubt. Still in an wheelchair is kind of scary after so many months. Hope the CBA did just stop caring for her since her likelihood of returning is small. At least, she needs to get back to normal daily routine without an wheel chair.

The statement came the link posted by Justin L, http://sports.qq.com/a/20130131/000496.htm. My Chinese isn't great but basically this paragraph

王琳在德国做手术的医院告诉她,术后6个月就能回到赛场,这一消息让王琳很乐观。可她却忽略了一点:这家医院此前的手术多是针对足球、冰雪等项目的运动 员,这些运动项目对膝盖的要求和羽毛球完全不同,6个月的时间对于羽毛球选手来说远远不够。加上在康复的后3个月,王琳回到国内后没有专门的康复师负责, 更多的时候只能是她自己做康复练习,这也让她的康复质量打了折扣。当时,王琳急于复出争夺奥运积分,但在2011年4月5日,当她出现在澳大利亚公开赛的赛场上时,她的膝盖其实还没有做好准备。

20. Ton-Min-Bad

This is very interesting, although we don't know for sure if the article actually quotes Wang Lin the right way! If it does, it's pretty clear what the problem was.

BTW: Anybody capable of translating the article properly?

Here's what my google translation said:

Wang Lin was told by the doctors she could play again in about 6 months.

=> This is the usual time frame given by doctors treating professional athletes. Problem: it always depends on the individual severity of the injury and the individual process of the rehab!

She thinks that the clinic wasn't specialized in treating Badminton players and therefore couldn't predict how long it would take for her to get back on court again.

=> As I mentioned in another post, the therapy has to make sure that the basic functions of the knee work again. If that's the case the specific Badminton movements won't be that much of a problem. Although I don't know the details, I can't imagine that the clinic didn't provide a good therapy, even if they aren't that experienced with Badminton players.

Her special rehab in Germany ended after 3 months and wasn't continued properly.

=> This seems to have been the bigger problem to me.