Victor New Racket Meteor X JJS ??

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by Polaroid, May 18, 2012.

1. meteor

meteor Regular Member

Some Victor rackets do come in funny weights like my BS12 which is over 100g wet and sw of 42.5 - quite ridiculous...
    45.5 might be a wrong measurement however, it's too extreme.

2. visor

visor Regular Member

^ Yeah, that's what I notice about Victor rackets too... when I measure the same model at the store, there's a wider variation of dry bp, wt, and head wt than with Yonex.

3. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

My JJS came in at 303/90.5/42.1 wet. Very tightly wrapped RKEP Ultimate in place of original grip.

4. visor

visor Regular Member

In yu our case, assuming the ultimate is 12g, then that's like using factory grip only. So dry wt will be 87.1g and dry head wt 39.1g. Sounds reasonable.

In comparison, my 4U JJS dry wt is 84.7g, head wt 37.2g .

5. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

bit late in the day, but for what it's worth...

Meteor JJS review

3UG4 295/87, VS850 @ 30x32 PS

Impressions – 8/10
    I don’t usually go for metal effects, but this one is well done. Nice contrast to the LYD, actually – darker and “angrier”. Colours are balanced nicely. If Jung-seonbae had a hand in this paint job, he has good taste.

Dry spec really is 295/87, but not having measured it myself I would have put it 5 mm shorter and 2 grams lighter – it moves more easily, for some reason.

Stringing – 9/10 (now I’ve come up with a decent solution)
    The idiotic Meteor pattern strikes again, but I’ve found a way to 2PTD it without mile-long tie-off loops. The resulting string job has very good frame coverage, in fact, and it’s rated to 30 by Victor. Absolutely fine at my 32.

Power – 9/10
    Hits very hard for me. I’m usually lazy and try to go around or in front of the opponents’ defence, but the JJS manages to get through more often than most. When I use full smashes from behind the shuttle the angle and pace are outstanding – it really likes being thrown around and gives serious weight to proceedings – but it copes equally well with short, stabby stick smashes and drives. Makes mincemeat of lifts and clears.

(I haven’t tried the MX80 with this string setup yet, but I think it’d probably win as far as the power limit goes. However, the 80 is very uncompromising, and the JJS will offer much better percentage on power. MX80 aside, the JJS is possibly the hardest-hitting Victor since the SW35.)

Defence – 8/10
    There’s a really nice directness – if I anticipate the shot there are some great angles available, and there’s no flailing or lag if I have to adjust. For a racket with such an obvious attacking bias, this was a nice surprise.

Control/Stability – 9/10
    Again, the balance belies the “tightness” of the racket, because it’s very well integrated. The T-joint area is particularly strong, killing pretty much all the frame torque; it’ll send round-the-head clears up the line all day long. I’m wondering how much the graphene is helping here, because the MX70 – to which it is ostensibly identical – didn’t strike me as anything special.

Feel – 7/10
    Crisp and compact with hard hits, and gives good sensation with touch shots. Doesn’t seem to mind being hit off-centre, either – I lost power, but didn’t get that horrible feeling like I had my hand on a power drill.

Value for money – 7/10
    You can pick one up for £120 over here these days, and that’s perfectly reasonable money, IMO. It’s cheaper overseas, though, and we only get G4 in UK (which is annoying, because I think the MX90 – same spec – will come in G5).

Conclusion
    Had I gone just by the specs, I would have thought it was a repainted MX70 and never picked it up. And what a mistake that would have been. The JJS somehow managed to fall into that very narrow cusp where attack and defence are both good, and it doesn’t feel like a compromise at all. It hits hard when I want it to and defends when I want it to.

There’s a comparison Paul put in my head that I can’t seem to shift: the AT900T. That was also technically head heavy, but moved incongruously smoothly, making the 900P feel a bit disconnected even though they supposedly balanced the same.

An excellent racket from anywhere on court (but particularly the back:)).

6. dbswansea

dbswansea Regular Member

IT
    I had a league match this morning away at a club that uses plastic shuttles,I didn't use my JJS as it's strung too high for plastics but across the net from me was another JJS. I wasn't sure to be happy to see someone using a great racquet or really annoyed that he was wasting it on plastic shuttles :)

7. visor

visor Regular Member

^ (ahem)... Mark uses plastic... (cough) :)

8. dbswansea

dbswansea Regular Member

IT
    32lb with plastics? Ouch

9. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

We see feathers a bit more now that we're in the league.

Top of the table, in case anybody was wondering:p.

Would you have us play with Argos rackets instead?

10. yeahehehehe

yeahehehehe Regular Member

Question for those who bought this at MBS , does this one come with the thermal bag , the one with the signature?

11. swunk

swunk Regular Member

no it comes with a horrendous cloth bag

12. yeahehehehe

If so , then does anyone knows where to get it?

13. uselessmail

uselessmail Regular Member

Yay yay yay!!! Just got mine today...! Cant wait to play with it in the evening!!! :D

14. dbswansea

dbswansea Regular Member

IT
    I have one :)

15. yeahehehehe

Where did you get iiiiiiiiiiiiittttttttttt , the one with the curved baggggggg , plzzzzzzzzz

16. visor

visor Regular Member

Mine came with the racket.

17. paulstewart64

paulstewart64 Regular Member

Marketing Consultant
  18. yeahehehehe

Pls spoil it . I thought direcsports isnt good in selling , i saw bad feedback bout them , correct me if im wrong . Planning to buy it on MBS , i want the racket AND the bag :)

19. dbswansea

dbswansea Regular Member

IT
    I found them very helpful to be honest.

20. yeahehehehe

Saw one here , 3U is so light . Swing a few times , but the price is ridiculous . P10000 , roughly $230