ArcSaber 8 DX

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by bad_fanatic, Jan 26, 2010.

1. xtorm

xtorm Regular Member

hey will be waiting for ur review as i plan of getting hold of a arc8dx too, used it briefly and it kinda surprise me

2. gavinloh

gavinloh Regular Member

Racquet: Yonex ArcSaber 8DX
    String: BG 66 @ 26-27lbs
    Skill: Amateur to Intermediate level (me)

Comparison with YY NS9900 as a standard.

Initial Feel:
    Much heavier as overall compare to my exising NS9900. Definately slight heavy head but not as heavy head as AT600. Swinging for clear, lob is easier and more powerful than NS9900. Initial smash can generate around 10% more power than my NS9900.

However, due to its weight, defence is definately slower, around 20% for my standard compare with NS9900.

Game time:
    Due to unable to adjust the weight different, I switched back to NS9900. Unable to comprehend for double matches.

Net Play:
    Havent really tried. Feedback again.

Recommendation:
    Amazing how KKK can use it in double matches. For me, this is definately for intermediate single player and above as it will pull down your defence. I will still stick to my beloved NS9900. Sideline it for training and single matches for now.

*Due to inconsistency for Karakal Traction grip that I purchased, the grip is too thick for my liking and definately unable to perform good control. Will feed back again after few more rounds and net play.

3. zombiez

zombiez Regular Member

Full time Dad
    That's why KKK lose steam at the final. Not enough stamina to wield it all the time. :D Or maybe when going against difficult opponents, it became a burden.

#423 zombiez, Sep 28, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2010
  4. gavinloh

gavinloh Regular Member

Zombiez, I believe ArcSaber is really good in net play esp in KKK scenario (he like fancy deception) and it really take the toll for defensive if your wrist is not strong enough. Aside that, it has up to 27lbs max string tension which indicate this is for power user and intermediate user as well.

I strongly believe this has better feel than NS9900 if I have thinner grip (got small palm, haha). Again, this is personal preference as I maybe used to Nanospeed series and play double matches more often than singles. Will try single matches this Sun and update you all again.

5. zombiez

zombiez Regular Member

Full time Dad

I'm not saying that he is using the wrong racket. He is not really a power player.

6. playmaker

playmaker Regular Member

Hello!

I was using a nanospeed 300 before and I upgraded to an arcsaber 8dx thinking it will improve my game :D. I strung it with BG-66, 24 lbs. It was very responsive on drop shots and drives. The aspect of my game still needs a lot of improvement but needless to say the arcsaber 8dx gave me more control where I want the shuttle to go.

I broke my first string BG-66 and I changed to zymax 62, 24x21 lbs. It has a better feel and smashing sound. However, after 3 hours of play I felt my arms were getting tired. It doesn't bother me though. I still love the racket overall.

7. gavinloh

gavinloh Regular Member

Retest:

ArcSaber 8DX with BG66 @ 27Lbs

Tested another 2.5 hours during the training. Again, same feeling, heavier than NS9900, making it more powerful for smashes, drive and lobbing. However, weak against double's smash (defence). It would be ideal for single player, looking for more powerful racquet and yet do not want to compromise the control or not suitable to use Armortec series.

Definitely not for double (my preference) but for single player that seek to have high tension and control. If your wrist is not strong enough, you will get tired easily. I am getting to love my NS9900 more and more.

8. shadowfuri

shadowfuri Regular Member

Student
    Gameplay wise how does the Arcsaber 8dx compare to the Arcsaber 10? In general, which of these will allow more effortless clears and more maneuverability?

9. Thom_bad

Thom_bad Regular Member

Student
    I think arc8dx bring more "touch" since it is very stiff
    being more head heavy, the arc10 might be less manoeuvrable.

10. Barca

Barca Regular Member

Just broke my 3 months old 8DX 3UG5 yesterday. Getting used to it and like the feel of it.
    I am planning to get a replacement. But I am torn between 2U or 3U.
    I guess 2U will give more power but lacking in manoeuvrability.
    Anyone out there has both 2U and 3U? Advice and recommendation needed.

11. Licin

Licin Regular Member

Student
    @Barca
    May i know, why did your Arc 8dx break?

12. Barca

Barca Regular Member

From a minor clash with my partner's racket. I was swaying to get the 2U for the fact that the frame could be more solid than 3U. Just a precaution from such incident from happenning.
    After giving it a serious thought I would probably stay with 3U because I have already gotten used to it. The heavier 2U may simply be too difficult to wield and be a let down in defence.
    I have taken a pic of the broken 8DX. http://www.badmintoncentral.com/for...-racket-phots)&p=1546913&posted=1#post1546913

13. KLFreedom

KLFreedom Regular Member

Hi, I wish to find a spare racquet for my nanospeed 9900, dunno if arcsaber 8dx will fit my style? Is it stiffer than nanospeed 9900? How about the control, power, maneuverability? I mainly use my wrist to generate power, jump smash a lot, and like to pressure opponents at the front...

14. krisyay

krisyay Regular Member

8DX is definitely not as fast as NS9900 nor is it as stiff (though pretty close I think). It probably wouldn't be a good spare since it would through off your timing.

15. gavinloh

gavinloh Regular Member

Hi, I just use 8DX as a spare last 2 weeks ago. This is super bad idea since NS9900 is a head light (i have 2x NS9900) and 8DX is real heavy. It is wise for you to get another NS9900 for spare or NS7700. Thanks.

16. Thom_bad

Thom_bad Regular Member

Student
    Go for another nanospeed or the Arc7 , it is even balanced-a bit head heavy, not too stiff, polyvalent

17. kakabobo

kakabobo Regular Member

the paint quality of 8dx sp version not very good.
    mishit and the paint chip off.

18. KLFreedom

KLFreedom Regular Member

how does 8dx perform compared to ti-10 3rd gen? In terms of smashing power, net play, swing speed and shaft stiffness?

19. Tamagi

Tamagi Regular Member

I would like to know too :)
    I am looking for something slightly head heavier — not in the Armortec zone — and less stiff than my NS9900. I used to own the ArcSaber 10 but never got used to it. It always felt numb…
    So, I have narrowed my choice to the Ti-10 or the 8DX. I am an advanced player, and it would be nice to use the same racket for both singles and doubles. Most of the reviewers in France say the DX is not so stiff after all, though this might be a personal thing. Thanks in advance for the responses.

20. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

Sounds like you should look for Ti-10 2nd generation :cool:. Personally I think Ti-10 III would be better than ARC8DX but whether it is such a big difference with NS9900? The shaft of ARC8DX does feel (too) flexible but makes it comprehensible why it has been mostly the netplayers of the doubles pairs who have chosen it, likewise how Lee Young Dae was using Bravesword 09 ...
    Now that I wrote that, the exception Carsten Mogensen came to mind but he actually switched back to NS9900
    Alternatively of course you could look at Panda Power Trinity 2 with 290+ bp and NS9900 frameshape http://www.badmintoncentral.com/for...-40lbs.-String-Tension!&p=1555120#post1555120

#440 demolidor, Nov 14, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2010