Lee Chong Wei ( 李宗伟 )

Discussion in 'Malaysia Professional Players' started by tbleong, Jan 8, 2007.

1. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Feels galling that Chen Long is the one to win this - he struggles against so many players he hasnt been coached extensively for, yet for LCW its often JUST enough...

2. indrg

indrg Regular Member

What is Hendrawan doing there anyway/..?? He kept quite all the time.... Tan Shui Bok did all the talking. No Rashid Sidek anywhere. He is sacked already? Bring Misbun back please

3. Mr. Epic

Mr. Epic Regular Member

Student
    Chong Wei hopes BWF will make world meet a biennial event

COPENHAGEN: It is no secret that world No. 1 Lee Chong Wei wants to win his first world title.

He has another wish too – for the World Championships to be held once every two years instead of yearly now.

On Wednesday, top seed Chong Wei took another step closer to achieving his childhood dream when he crushed towering German Dieter Domke 21-12, 21-9 in the second round of the World Championships at the Ballerup Super Arena.

Chong Wei should get past his next opponent Scott Evans of Ireland for a place in the quarter-finals.

“I’m here to win the world title but, for now, I’d rather take it one match a day. I don’t want to get all muddled up by thinking about the final. I shouldn’t be over-confident – I know that the matches will only get tougher from here,” said Chong Wei.

Chong Wei, who is competing in his eighth world meet, hopes that the Badminton World Federation (BWF) will make the championships a biennial event – a plea he has been repeatedly making for the last few years.

Chong Wei has been playing in every World Championships since BWF made it an annual affair, starting with the 2005 edition in Anaheim. The world meet is not held in the Olympic Games year.

“Two years once will be much better. It will be more prestigious and players will really look forward to it,” said Chong Wei.

“Maybe, the BWF can reduce the number of players too. Instead of having to go through three rounds, we can cut down one round. The quality will be better.

“Right now, there are so many Superseries tournaments and the schedule is rather crowded. To have a world meet once in two years will be ideal and give us some breathing space.”

On the ongoing 21st edition of the world meet, Chong Wei has only one grouse: “The stadium is great and the players’ hotel is comfortable. However, I wish that the transportation for players will be better. In tennis, players are given cars to move around.”

While Chong Wei is the only one left to shoulder the Malaysian challenge in the men’s singles, Denmark – with a population of only five million people – have three players in the third round. They are Jan O Jorgensen, Hans-Kristian Vittinghus and Viktor Axelsen.

China suffered a minor setback when 2009 world junior champion and 11th seed Tian Houwei lost 15-21, 16-21 to veteran Eric Pang of Holland and failed to join second seed Chen Long and sixth seed Wang Zhengming in the last 16.

Source - http://www.thestar.com.my/Sport/Bad...es-BWF-will-make-world-meet-a-biennial-event/

4. ngkt67

ngkt67 Regular Member

I preferred any younger coach like Wong Choong Hann... see who coach the China MS now? XIA XUANZE!! the one who always beat Wong Choong Hann forever... but lost to Ong Ewe Hock always...

5. SibugiChai

SibugiChai Regular Member

YAB
    yes, even indonesia is bringing back all their former players to coach, alan budikusuma, susi, marleve & etc...

malaysia has so many good (top10) players just like 10years ago... playe like wong choon han, lee wan wah, choon tan fook, ong ewe hock, roslin hashim, hafiz hashim,

all these recently retire players can be good coach because they have been there and done it. also they are in touch with the current tactics and technique.

unlike our current setup which obviiosly lack expereince in pressure cooker situation. coaches for singles & doubles are not top players during their playing days.

good players dont always tranform into good coaches, but the chances are better thatn not-so-good players becoming a good coaches.

#10025 SibugiChai, Sep 1, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2014
  6. faaiz

faaiz Regular Member

assistant manager
    Taufik Hidayat - Tommy Sugiarto (INA)
    Lin Dan - Chen Long (CHN)
    Peter Gade - Viktor Axelsen (DEN)
    Lee Chong Wei - Lee Chong Wei (MAS)

View attachment 161882

7. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Don't agree at all, coaching and playing certainly have overlap, and having been in the same situation the player is in helps with coaching (say, in a WC or AE final), but you don't need to have played at any level above state or national to be a world class coach. Never heard of Jacob Hoi as a player, for example, and he did really well coaching the German team.....
    That being said, if you have a great talent for coaching, you will probably be a pretty good player because you have the insight into the tactical and technical aspects of the game, and all that you're missing is the physical side.
    Some people aren't very gifted athetically, don't have outstanding reaction times, or lack some motor skills, which limits them as players - but they might be outstanding coaches all the same.

8. SibugiChai

SibugiChai Regular Member

YAB
    ermm... i didn't say not so good players cannot be good coaches,

my point is that the chances are higher for a good players to be a good coach in international level. Because they have been there, done it and experience the whole atmosphere.

If a coach, who only play to school level, how could he coach at international level?

9. indrg

indrg Regular Member

Alan and Susi do not coach. Alan & Susi (Husband and Wife) are entrepreneur owning spas, badminton brand (Astec). Susi did asked to be the head of something in PBSI but she can't coach

10. shooting stroke

shooting stroke Regular Member

Professional / Badminton Coach
    Another Silver for BAM

My congratulation to CL when it seems that his path going into the final was fought so hard but as he confronted Dato', it was the usual normal task for him in the final. Since in this year edition of WC there is no superdan playing, critics has put high hope that this will be the best opportunity for Dato' to capture it as one of the 3 elusive major title that he has never won other than the Olympic and Asian single title. It seems that the recipe to be the first Malaysian World Champion has already written from the earlier stage as Dato' performance was impressive knocking everyone in a convincing straight set before reaching the final. A very near similar story in last year WC edition when his only defeat came in the final to LD after fighting gallantly in 3 set. There is no other match between Dato' and LD that can make you unable to sit comfortably other then that match IMHO. Contrast to his match to CL, it was a catching up scenario most of the time for Dato'.

We can gather all the reason for his defeat in another WC final (3 in row FYI), but in the end only Dato' himself knows why. Regardless LD is playing or not, best opportunity cannot be define from the non presence of his main rival. In fact the tale of Dato'-LD has finished most likely after the latest Olympic final and after that Dato' has already fallen to few other players like SS, KT and especially CL most of the time. Dato' defeats in the final also has certain pattern. If he is in the final in the Msia open, it is unlikely that 99% he can be a champion, similar likely hood if he is in the AE final. There is no tournament other than the Olympics that has become a difficult ground for him in the final as in the WC final. Jinx or not, it seems that Dato' is destine to only become a 2nd place passenger after the final IMHO. Poor Dato' but that is the fact as for now. As his age is getting older, i think that his best playing years has already passed few years ago. It does not meant that he is not playing well now however, his best opportunity to capture the WC is not and will not in this many years to come if he still competitively participating ( sorry Dato' for not having the confident in you) but it was in the few previous WC especially last year when he was in front twice in the deciding game against LD before eventually lost.

Loosing for a streak of 3 time in his quest to be the first Msia Badminton World Champion could only mean 1 thing. Hope that BAM also will realize it that the burden in Dato' shoulder has become heavier. Msia hope and dependency to see him capture that prestigious and elusive title most likely has become an extremely mentally demanding most likely to poor Dato' in which within his own conscious has affected him in all his WC participation especially when he is already reaches the final. Non doubt that he has all the skills and speed that all badminton player is dying to emulate, but when hope is to high, even the greatest can't deliver his best when it matter most.

While other big badminton nation has already has their own men single World Champion, badminton nation such as Msia has never produced a World Champion in men single even after contributing more than a double digit medal in it's participation in the WC all this many years. Dato' defeat should also be carried by BAM that finding a WC is not a one man show. In this many Msia WC participation, other than Dato' the other men single representative has bow out earlier in the early round. If any of them is able to at least progress higher, the chances to have few representative in the Sf or F event will be higher giving a chance of a greater success in producing a WC. Take the Korean's MD double in this year WC as an example, they have nearly all of their MD representative in the SF. Judging by Msia current badminton scenario, especially in the men single department, i think this scenario will even more prolonged. A concern that BAM should be very concern.

11. faaiz

faaiz Regular Member

assistant manager
    well said :D

12. evolutionist

evolutionist Regular Member

Hi all,
    I am not sure if this is the right place for it, but I would like to chat with someone regarding our fabulous Dato' LCW.
    I'm a fellow Chinese-Malaysian currently living in Canada.
    Recently some of my friends from China and other SEA countries were talking about LCW and how he is a very great and noble player. But there are info or questions that they mention that I wasn't aware of. Like does LCW's dad holds a Dato title as well? and many more! I haven't been back home for a few year now and was hoping if anyone who follows news and updates on Dato could PM me and help me out abit please.

Much appreciated. Terima Kasih!

Cheers.

13. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Welcome back!

If you have been following LCW's long thread here, you would be able to clear many doubts that your China friends might have on the Dato.

If you care to ask specific questions on LCW, I'm sure many BCers here would be able to help you.

To answer your first question, NO, LCW's dad doesn't hold a Dato title. There is no reason why his dad should be honoured as he has not done anything worthy to the country except to help produce the Dato. In fact, LCW doesn't seem to get along with his Dad. Stories of this relationship abound in this forum.

#10033 Loh, Sep 24, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2014
  14. evolutionist

Thanks buddy. I do still follow LCW's news just not as active as before.
    So I'm still currently pretty updated then.

Actually, one thing that surprised a tiny bit was my friend's admiration for LCW's dream.
    My friend told me he saw it in a news where it was mentioned that, LCW's dream is to have his own Badminton Complex/Stadium/Team (which I believe is completed? As I added a Facebook profile with that name).
    And the reason LCW did that is to train better players to continue the sport of Badminton.
    Obviously, our country (Msia) isn't going to invest tons of resources for the future badminton players on the national team.
    Thus, LCW has this dream that he wants Malaysians to stand on the podiums even after he retires.
    And because LCW is pretty wealthy (I heard his family background is pretty resourceful as well? Which I doubt it because I heard that his dad used to be a gambler, am I correct on this?) it is possible for LCW to "support" the government in return of supporting our national team.

Is there any legitimacy in that?
    (Note that be it if its true or not, LCW will always be the greatest-actual-living-human Hero to me :D).

15. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

His family isnt wealthy, but he is. Years of sponsorship money for being #1 :D

16. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    I read that LCW has expressed interest in having his own Badminton academy when he retires, just like the great Taufik Hidayat of INA, who now owns a beautiful building for that purpose.

But to "support" BAM in a direct way should not be LCW's responsibility. BAM is capable of promoting badminton in Malaysia and of putting up a strong national team as it has done so for so many years. Malaysia is still a badminton powerhouse by world standards.

17. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Taking away LCW, theyre not really a powerhouse. Many nations have stronger, more successful teams.....Chn, Ina, Jpn, Den, Ind, Kor...

18. evolutionist

Hi Loh,

Is it possible that you can recall where you read that from please? It would be great to have a reference/link to share it.

Thanks!

19. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    I wish I could but it must be from this similar thread. ;)

20. evolutionist

I see, ok then.
    I shall read through 500+ thread of replies xD