India Badminton

Discussion in 'India Professional Players' started by limsy, Dec 13, 2009.

1. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Of course.:)

2. gopalprasad

gopalprasad Regular Member

Software Architect
    I could just wish!! Would love the idea of SN, PV doing a SusiMia act... but coming to reality Doubles is totally a different ball game & I dont know how exactly they train these days, where as I always used to think it was doubles always at the start and then move on to singles, the doubles give you more tricks which are quite helpful to groom a player in singles... I dont see that happening in India at least we dont have a noticeable doubles team in any of the 3 categories the make-shift arrangement gets the events going but I believe India plays the 3 categories from the game spirit just to participate winning or losing doesnt matters to them!! How else do you explain not having one serious partnership going in the 3 categories.... From the onset it also looks like the team is forced due to availability of just a few players whether they compliment each other or not, they also lack the trust or bonding it seems which is the essence of a team game!!

I hope the IBF gets serious on this as theres no dearth of talent here just channelizing them and realizing what they ought to do and surely they would achieve it...

Hopefully the Badminton league throws up some new players and pleasant surprises...Amen!!

3. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    That's the beauty of having this event format for the Thomas Cup and Uber Cup. It's unpredictable and very tactical. I love seeing teams put out novel pairings or singles players in doubles to ambush the opponents.

FYI, it's more common players to learn singles first before moving to doubles.

4. gopalprasad

gopalprasad Regular Member

Software Architect
    For our locals may be cause of the space issues, we never had that many courts to practice singles so played doubles more often and also the court opens up for a doubles player, there are more angles to play with and the return comes faster as well as there is slightly lesser load on an individual player (your partner might be active for that duration)
    I thought to hone skills a doubles game provides more chance then a singles, and thats what worked till juniors and state.

You are the expert, you may know better but still I would advice my wards to play doubles till atleast 16-18 years of age.. then go ahead! And may be furthur not always, not in the individual events but be ready for the team cups... Would love watching a Lin Dan vs LCW in a doubles final, or a SN,PV in a team doubles finals :) Just my wish!!

5. scorpion1

scorpion1 Regular Member

Exciting one
    [h=1]We learned from our mistakes: Ashwini Ponnappa[/h]
    http://www.dnaindia.com/sport/1819051/report-we-learned-from-our-mistakes-ashwini-ponnappa

EXCERPTS:

Ashwini Ponnappa and Jwala Gutta formed the second half of India’s formidable women’s doubles’ pair. Now that the two have gone separate ways, it’s important for Ashwini to play the role that Jwala did when they were together. Before combining in the Olympics last year for the final time, the twosome had won the 2010 Commonwealth Games gold and 2011 World Championships bronze.

Ashwini said, “I would not like to talk about it (split) much as we are not playing together anymore. We have spoken with each other and that’s what really matters. The last three years with Jwala have been wonderful. I’ve learnt a lot from her, I’m thankful for that.”

The 23-year-old soft-spoken Ashwini is settling down with new partners, Pradnya Gadre in women’s doubles and Tarun Kona in mixed. “Pradnya and I have not played a lot together. She does not have Jwala’s experience but she will definitely get there. We combine very well — she at the net, me at the back. I’ve a bit more experience than Pradnya. We are just about a year apart in age. I enjoy the partnership with her,” she said.

Ashwini and Kona came together in June 2012. Though the results in international tournaments have not been spectacular, Ashwini feels the exposure was invaluable. Ashwini and Kona benefited most from being part of the Asian All-Star team that made the semifinals of the Axiata Cup, the richest team championship event with a prize money of $1million. The semifinals and final will be played in Kuala Lumpur on April 13-14. The prelims were held from March 21 to 31 in Malaysia and Indonesia.

Ashwini said, “Tarun and I were selected as mixed-doubles pair for the Asian All-Star team. It has been a really good experience. To be part of a team with top-class players in the form of Chinese Bao Chunlai and Zheng Bo, Korean Lee Huin, Chinese Taipei’s Tai Tsu Ying and Hong Kong’s Yip Yui Yin was a different experience. We got to interact with them. Otherwise, normally in tournaments, you do not get to interact with them. They supported us really well.”

Ashwini believed the experience playing against players from Malaysia, Indonesia, Thailand, Singapore, Vietnam, Europe and Philippines could only take her partnership with Kona forward. “It is a great opportunity to get more matches. We can get better at mixed doubles. We got to play top doubles’ pairs. We learned from our mistakes and got better in the subsequent games.”

Ashwini and Gadre lost in the qualifying rounds of the women’s doubles in last month’s All England Championships. In the mixed doubles, the Ashwini-Kona duo exited in the first round. “All England was not too great. I had an elbow problem,” Ashwini said. After the Axiata Cup semifinals and finals, Ashwini will head to Chinese Taipei for the Badminton Asia Championships (April 16-21) and then to New Delhi for the Yonex Sunrise India Open (April 23-28).

“Getting to the quarterfinals and semifinals and doing better than that in these tournaments would be the aim. I want to take each tournament as it comes. The CWG in 2014 is also something we are looking forward to,” she added.

6. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    A brainstorming session for coaches

V.V. SUBRAHMANYAM
    The Hindu, March 28, 2013

http://www.thehindu.com/todays-pape...orming-session-for-coaches/article4556207.ece

Excerpts:

It is a seminar with a difference. Well, for the 35 coaches from across the country who assembled for the GoSports Foundation’s coaches education under the aegis of Badminton Association of India at the Gopi Chand Academy (Gachibowli), it was an experience which should only help their cause for better results.

...India’s chief national coach Pullela Gopi Chand says the idea to ensure uniform coaching pattern across the country is the best part of it. “If the primary objective is to ensure that young talent doesn’t suffer for want of latest techniques, this course should help them a long way,” he feels.

...“This programme is per the intermediate level curriculum approved and provided by the BAI and is designed to encompass the various aspects of badminton coaching and also include info about technical nuances,” explains Puri.

...“There is a serious need to upgrade ourselves and keep sharing new thoughts to be better coaches,” the former All England champion (Gopichand) felt.

More importantly, it is not just a course where in everything is forgotten once it gets over. “There will be a critical evaluation of all the coaches who attend this as they are given specific assignments and will be critically reviewed after three months. A qualified panel will evaluate their performances,” says Puri.

The BWF official Venugopal insists that these kind of courses ensure a very strong second tier of coaching system in place.

7. scorpion1

scorpion1 Regular Member

Exciting one
    [h=1]England badminton coach all praise for Gopichand and Saina[/h]England’s chief coach Jokob Hoi has hailed Pullela Gopichand for changing the Indian badminton scene and is all praise for the country’s Olympic bronze medallist Saina Nehwal.
    Talking to IANS, Hoi said Indian badminton owes its success to Gopichand, an All-England Champion.

The Englishman feels Indian badminton has grown rapidly in the last 10 years because youngsters now have great role models in Gopichand and Saina.

“Indian badminton has improved dramatically in the last five years. Since the 2009 World Championships in Hyderabad, some good players have emerged. India have a good crop of players in singles, especially in men’s. Gopichand has been the difference in the last 10 years with his standout coaching and game style. I think he is the one who has really made the impact in Indian badminton,” Hoi told IANS.

Hoi, who is here with the English team at the $200,000 India Open Super Series, said Gopichand has changed the way Indians are playing the game now and have the killer instinct. The players are more aggressive, quick and rely on heavy smashes.

“About 15 years back, India used to have two average players in singles at the international scene. Now you have about six in top 50 of men’s singles which is great for any country. Indian players have become faster, more aggressive, they run more, hit heavy smashes, and their endurance has increased. They don’t play the typical old style of Indian badminton,” said Hoi, who was formerly the national coach of Germany.

Hoi lauded World No.2 Saina Nehwal saying that she has a solid overall game.

“Saina has a very solid game and she sticks to the basics. She recovers well, does not pressurise herself, has strong arms and thighs which are very important for this sport,” said Hoi.

Hoi said Saina is not afraid to create chances.

“She knows how to create chances like which shot to take when during a match. She is not afraid to take the initiative which is the case with many Indian shuttlers. For example, she knows she is not the best at the net but still knows how to tackle drops. Her smashes are not scary but are always very accurate. Overall, she has a very good game,” added Hoi.

“Her fitness is great and her ability to manoeuvre around the court is also good. She has the deception in her game and her overall stroke play is great, committing lesser mistakes. I have a lot of respect for her,” said Hoi.

Hoi said the way Indians are playing now is a refreshing break from their style 10 years back.

“Well, 10 years back they would hit clear drop shots. Their game was more about recovery, sustenance, and survival. That killer instinct was missing. Gopichand as a player stood out and he still remains the standout as a coach. Like you saw (H.S.) Prannoy beat Taufik Hidayat. He (Prannoy) was aggressive with his game. These things make a huge impact internationally,” he said.

Hoi, however, was not impressed with the doubles scene in the country.

“The doubles scene is not great. I don’t see much growth. Okay, Jwala (Gutta) and Ashwini (Ponnappa) won a couple of medals but apart from that there has been no consistency and no impact. They lack power and wisdom of the sport. V. Diju has wisdom but he is lazy. The doubles players need to be trained better,” said Hoi.

8. Jimmy_Goh

Jimmy_Goh Regular Member

Frankly, I am amazed and fascinated by the young India MS in this edition of India 2013. Giving more international exposure to these India youngster, plus the Thomas/Uber Cup playing in India in 2014, I think India will have a very good crop of MS ( & maybe MD) players, in 1 year time, for Thomas Cup 2014. :)

9. scorpion1

scorpion1 Regular Member

Exciting one
    I agree with you. Really, so many young indians have proved their talents here. Its not over rated or whatever ..Neither India is a badminton super power nation nor having a handful of Olympic gold medals in badminton.

If a WR 100 player from 'badminton super power nation'(having 20 gold medals in badminton) beating WR 1 becoming a news, definitely WR 75 player from ' upcoming badminton nation' beating WR 7 (JOJ) or WR 53 beating WR 5 should be in the news :).

People need to think twice before calling youngsters who are proving their talents as "over rated". We should appreciate player's achievements rather than disgracing them. I appreciate [MENTION=25849]Jimmy_Goh[/MENTION] in this regard :).

10. Fortune

Fortune Regular Member

student
    may I know what is india's improvement in this badminton sport that make other people to be in jealous ? last year (Jan - March) india already won 1 GP Gold title. This year, until April, india still zero. Not only that, they even can't reach the final stage in GP level and above. That is called IMPROVEMENT, right ? Actually, they have a big chance to win their first India SS titles, and also india's first title in 2013, but they failed to do it, despite all of the reigning Olympic and World Champion was absent (as usual) in this tournament. but still, no one host player in the final. really make jealous. lol

#330 Fortune, Apr 27, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2013
  11. scorpion1

scorpion1 Regular Member

Exciting one
    According to you, what do you call as improvement?? Getting titles ?? ..

I replied to the person who only appears in screen whenever india did not perform well or any other indian players lost in the tournament and makes unnecessary blunt ridiculous comments on indians and coaches etc.

Improvement do not come all by a sudden.. Its a step by step process. Its a big achievement than last year. Still you are missing one thing. If you compare china's success to every other nation in badminton, then you will find nothing.

Still time is there.. This year did not end already. I will reply you perfectly if you are still there in this forum at the end of the year..

12. Fortune

Fortune Regular Member

student
    of course.

I only care of your statement : improvement that make other people to be in jealous. Just it. i don't care for your personal thing. Now prove it, where is the improvement ?

Compare Chn vs other nation ? Where is it in my previous post ? I only compare India's players in 2013 vs 2012 lol

3 months in 2012 still better than 4 months in 2013. Thats the fact. But if you want for whole year, no problem. Let see in the end of 2013, if india's can make improvement compare to last year or not hehehe

#332 Fortune, Apr 27, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2013
  13. scorpion1

scorpion1 Regular Member

Exciting one
    [h=1]Sad at Saina's early exit but happy with emerging crop of players, says Pullela Gopichand[/h]
    http://sports.ndtv.com/othersports/...erging-crop-of-players-says-pullela-gopichand

EXCERPTS:

[h=2]Talking about Sindhu's impressive show in the competition, where she lost to World No. 6 Ratchanok Intanon of Thailand in the semi-finals, Gopichand said the 17-year-old will take a lot of positives from here.[/h]

Seeing his protege Saina Nehwal depart early from India Open, national badminton coach Pullela Gopichand was expectedly sad but that feeling was more or less neutralised when he witnessed the gritty performances of young players such as PV Sindhu.

"We have had a whole lot of players emerging from this tournament. I am a little disappointed with Saina losing early but looking at the entire lot, it is very encouraging. I am very happy," Gopichand told PTI in an interview.

"HS Prannoy, Anand Pawar, PV Sindhu doing well shows that we have a lot of depth and a lot of talent coming into the senior rank," he added.

India Open witnessed the likes of Sindhu, Prannoy and Pawar doing well against some of the top-ranked players from the world here at the Siri Fort Sports Complex.

Talking about Sindhu's impressive show in the competition, where she lost to World No. 6 Ratchanok Intanon of Thailand in the semi-finals, Gopichand said the 17-year-old will take a lot of positives from here.

"(Her performance has been) very, very good. How she has performed here has been very encouraging... It's good to see. And also at the Asia badminton championship (last week in Taipei) before this. She will take some more time but each of these victories will help her build confidence," said Gopichand.

Prannoy had caused one of the biggest upsets of the tournament by beating former world No. 1 Taufik Hidayat in straight games to enter the quarterfinals of the men's singles event before he lost to current world No. 1 Lee Chong Wei of Malaysia.

Gopichand felt that the 20-year-old Prannoy is a hope for the future.

"This year he had some good victories. Here also he had good victories. He looks solid. In the (quarterfinal) match against Lee Chong Wei also, he looked very good, which is a good sign. He is definitely a hope for the future and I expect him to do well."

Gopichand, however, refused to single out any player who could be the best prospect for the future.

"I have got so many young players playing with me, so it will be unfair on my part to pick one. But I do believe that all of my players have a lot of potential," he insisted.

Asked if pressure of performing in front of the home crowd was the reason behind Saina and men's star Parupalli Kashyap losing early in the tournament, the coach said "possibly."

He, however, went on to say, "But if you see both of their matches, they had lost very close matches and it is not that they didn't play well. Kashyap played well and dominated for most part of the match before he lost (to Chong Wei). For Saina it was a bad patch. Overall, I think they played well.

"Saina and Kashyap are established names. They have performed well in the past and I am sure they would do well in the future also," he added.

On the wrong line call that resulted in Saina losing her focus while she was serving for the match in the third game of the lost second-round match, Gopichand preferred to play down the issue.

"For past many years we have lost matches because of bad line calls. It is always difficult to get the right decisions. Sometimes decisions are in your favour and sometimes they are against you, and when they are against you, it is bad luck," Gopichand said.

Even as the Indians did well in the singles with as many as five advancing to quarterfinals in the men's singles category itself, they faltered as far as doubles were concerned.

None of the pairs in the men's, women's or mixed doubles event could go beyond second round of the event and Gopichand said some work needed to be done.

"There is work to be done definitely on the entire range of players. We have already made a few changes and I have also proposed a few more, so that we are able to do well," he said.

Asked what Saina, who is currently world No. 2, needs to do to achieve the number one ranking, Gopichand said, "She also has a lot of points to defend in the coming months. It is going to be a tough task.

"But she is someone who knows what to do and just needs to do the basics right, focus on training correctly and ensuring that she rests properly."

Definitely, Doubles department has to be reshuffled for fruitful result :).

14. Wingu

Wingu Regular Member

Teacher
    "For past many years we have lost matches because of bad line calls. It is always difficult to get the right decisions. Sometimes decisions are in your favour and sometimes they are against you, and when they are against you, it is bad luck," Gopichand said.

I like this excuse.

15. Fortune

Fortune Regular Member

student
    as usual, going off topic, bcoz you can't prove your statement. last year 1 title, this year still zero, that is called improvement by scorpion1. Really fantastic lol

why they will jealous to india when all india players still zero in GP level and above ? :p. 3rd world country in badminton will jealous to thailand, bcoz thailand is better than india :p. even in india ss, no india player in final, but thailand went on to win 1 title :p

16. scorpion1

scorpion1 Regular Member

Exciting one
    You are nothing but making ridiculous statements against india and indian players.. Lol.. Off Topic?? Lol.. You are going off topic.. In India Open, indians proved better than last year.. If you keep on making ridiculous statements, then that proves who you are.. Nothing more to comment ..

Definitely, you are jealous..:D ..

17. depleter

depleter Regular Member

student
    Lol! I pity you now...If what you said was true, you must be living your life day in and day out completely filled with jealousy towards everyone better than you, unless there is no other person better than you in the world..

18. rajat_remar

rajat_remar Regular Member

I don't know why i am replying to this hate comment but i think that i m bound to..... during 2010 india won 3 SS titles, but still india was not so good in badminton. Why?, because all those SS titles were won by one single player. But now we have new indian who is Asian junior champion and players are featuring in the QF and SF of major events, which only one indian used to do in 2010....
    Also Indian players other than SN are beating the top ranked players.
    Don't you think this is improvement?
    If you don't, you certainly have problem in giving appreciation where appreciation is due

19. Jimmy_Goh

Jimmy_Goh Regular Member

Before India SS 2013 starts, the only notable India player that have a chance to win here was only Saina. The other probable QF from India are Sindhu and Kashyap . . . to me. Upsets are always possible in any tournaments, so here it happened to Saina in R16. I would never imagine, before this tournament starts, that there would be 5 MS from India to qualify for QF. It made me sit up to notice these India players. Even the unknown (to me) India ladies did well to get into R16 and QF.
    This, to me, showed that India badminton is on the rise, and I believe they will be a force to reckon with in 2-3 year time, if given more opportunities to play in major tournaments.
    I must say " Well done India badminton Team, and keep up the good work to make the badminton game more exciting and challenging to watch."

20. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

While I cannot say I like even a single Indian player (in fact I dislike both Saina Nehwal and more so Pelele Gopichand), I can say for sure they are improving constantly and have been for the last year. You can't simply measure a whole countries players by how many titles they win. You have to look at how many players qualify for the big events, and how far they get. Apart from China and Korea, where you can draw some conclusions from how many titles they've won, other countries' titles often depend on very few or even a single athlete (like Malaysia=>LCW, India=>Nehwal...) and thus the country's progress can't be judged by number of titles alone.

Also you can't say that a Nation hasn't improved just because it hasn't won the exact same titles as the year before. Maybe others have improved more, maybe they have come further in tournaments overall (like reaching 2 finals instead of winning one title and losing in the first round once)...

Edit: I actually like one Indian player, Ponappa has a style of play I like and not a much-too-high opinion of herself (like her former doubles partner or some others).