Post videos of yourself playing

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by GTAveteran, Apr 8, 2009.

1. msitpro

msitpro Regular Member

IT consultant
    My sister videoed me playing singles (couple of points) at today's Badminton England Essex Gold tournament:

[video=youtube_share;39dk7BMRJ7I]http://youtu.be/39dk7BMRJ7I[/video]

[video=youtube_share;paGU5iZ0X20]http://youtu.be/paGU5iZ0X20[/video]

2. msitpro

msitpro Regular Member

IT consultant
    Just noticed tonight, former world no 5 MD Yee Guan Yap makes a cameo at the end

3. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Most obvious thing is footwork and balance is inefficient. Looks like you have the rhythm but it's not helping much because of the inefficiency.

4. nbonkowsky

nbonkowsky Regular Member

Athlete/Coach
    2nd game from my match at the recent 2013 SKYCITY New Zealand Grand Prix. Round or 64 main draw against A Malaysian player named Jiann Shiarng Chiang. Straight up he was better than me, my strategy (or lack therefore of) didn't work against him. Can't complain and am happy with what I was able to do against him given the difference. Just gonna keep on training and working hard.

I played the Tahiti International Challenge after this tournament and made it to Quarterfinals eventually loosing to Matthieu Lo Ying Ping, but was unable to capture any video footage of my matches =/ Got a nice amount of ranking points for that finish though and am incredibly happy with how I played in Tahiti.

http://www.tournamentsoftware.com/sport/draw.aspx?id=BCD65483-2EE8-4D5F-B578-00F2B738A15C&draw=1

[video=youtube;N0xDkdQ4yGU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N0xDkdQ4yGU[/video]

#1724 nbonkowsky, May 6, 2013
    Last edited: May 6, 2013
  5. msitpro

msitpro Regular Member

IT consultant
    Can you elaborate? Am I taking too many small steps? Not powerful enough strides/lunges?

What about balance? Stay in an upright posture more of the time?? Pro singles players seem to be stood up rather than squatting most of the time.

I'm aiming to get in the top 60-80 in England or so for singles by this time next year after not playing singles since 17 before this year. Now 25 :eek: Leg muscle power is something I need to seriously work on if I'm then to go higher than that.

The guy I lost to in this match is around the 70 mark. 15 & 11, which was disappointing in one way because a couple of months ago lost to him 16 & 14 and was up in both games. However I was playing with NR700's which limited me to a defensive game. Switched to heavier racquets for singles recently and this was the first match I felt I was actually able to win a point against players of this calibre and not just stay in the point until they lose it.

6. swunk

swunk Regular Member

msitpro, it doesnt matter what racket you play. at all. a player with a right technique can smash way better with arc7 than a weaker player with vtzf.
    your footwork is very chaotic and wrong, basically. if you have a coach, it is he who should point that out to you in the first place.

7. msitpro

msitpro Regular Member

IT consultant
    Well personally at the moment my smash in singles lacks penetration AND accuracy with head-light racquets.
    There must also be a reason pro singers players tend to favour very head heavy designs, check look at the Chinese, take an N90 then add more weight to the top with athletic tape (LD and CL) I'm not saying the reason is purely smashing either, I feel it helps myself concentrate on the technique of the shot, such as drops, and now worry so much about pace of shot.

On the foodwork side, that's the result of virtually zero footwork coaching until the age of 24...!! :D Unfortunately that's the state of how things were in my area when I was a junior.

8. |_Footwork_|

|_Footwork_| Regular Member

come on, his footworjk isn't that bad. and it's definetely not basically wrong!!

9. swunk

swunk Regular Member

10. |_Footwork_|

well, there's something in between "basically wrong" and LCW...:rolleyes:

11. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

It's definitely not very smooth. And some things just look wrong, but I can't really put my finger on why....the long forehand corner always looks weird to me.
    As with many things, repetition is key. Make sure your coach supervises your footwork drills frequently, as he'll need to correct errors before they become too ingrained.
    It's not basically wrong, though :D

As with AimUK, I notice a certain lack of soft shots ;) Then again, you only uploaded 2 rallies. Not very much to base any helpful comments on, tbh. If the upload speed is what keeps you from uploading more, you could just decrease the resolution - no one needs an above-1080p ;) A good 720p should suffice.

#1731 j4ckie, May 6, 2013
    Last edited: May 6, 2013
  12. |_Footwork_|

it's not perfectly smooth, but it's far away from "basically wrong"!! this guys not a beginner with major flaws as the poster above implies...

and of yourse he doesn't show any soft shots! he's from the UK...;)

13. Thompson

Thompson Regular Member

Supervisor Pharmaceutical Industry
    Long forehand you don't make the "switch" jump, I think that's why it looks a bit strange and you could win some power/speed on that one.

14. msitpro

msitpro Regular Member

IT consultant
    I know there's a conversation/theme running in your comments in the thread RE: UK/european singles style although overheads in that rally seem to be half drops and half smashes....

I didn't know my sister was videoing it at all until I'd finished, that's all I have I'm afraid. View of the whole court inc. opponent would have been nice.

15. msitpro

msitpro Regular Member

IT consultant
    I think I know what you mean, more explosive and rotate through the shot onto my racquet foot?

TBH that's the kind of thing we've been learning, but it was 9.15 am, I'd just driven for an hour, 10 mins warm up and my legs felt like they were elsewhere :D

16. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Having watched it with a keen eye again, I can put my finger on some things :D
    The shot at 0:22 in the first vid looks super weird to me. Happens. Other than that - you often have a bit of time in the forehand corner, but waste it by remaining on your left foot for longer than necessary to kick your right leg down as you hit. That's just right if you don't have time to do more (resulting in a quick recovery), but if you do have the time, get your right foot down first and push off through the shot with/without a jump.
    Also, your left arm is kinda limp a good part of the time. Especially in the front corners. Try to raise it and hold it back to act as a counterweight to your racket arm. It helps keeping your balance in those front corners and makes it a tad easier to get out of those lunges.
    As a reference, I'd recommend watching some WS. It's usually a bit boring, but for pretty much all of us it's actually more helpful than watching the elite male athletes (no one here can do LCW's footwork!).

17. msitpro

msitpro Regular Member

IT consultant
    You're probably right on the back right corner. I think what I try and do is hold my body position for a split second, stabilize myself so as to make more shots available and be slightly more deceptive.... but that might be the opposite of what it's doing if I'm not getting behind the shuttle instead...

I'll also keep the left arm in mind during training, thanks!

18. ant01

ant01 Regular Member

Yee Guan Yap was world no 5? I can't find much info about his past ranking on bwf or be. Just wondering because he partnered my coach over the weekend :eek:

I managed to catch the MD finals yesterday which was good to watch, although a little one sided towards the end. I even filmed it too, might put it on youtube later.

19. msitpro

msitpro Regular Member

IT consultant
    Eddie Chow is your coach? I saw they lost to Baczala/Adamson in the semis.

That would be good to see as I wasn't there yesterday.

20. ant01

ant01 Regular Member

Yeah Eddie has been my coach for a few months now. It sounded like he had an off day yesterday plus he's had injury problems, but I won't make excuses for him :p

Sure I can upload the finals, although I'm not sure if this would be the right place to post it. Otherwise I'll pm you the links.