Yonex ArcSaber Flash Boost ( ARC FB )

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by yan.v, Jan 13, 2013.

1. jasontyh

jasontyh Regular Member

Engineer
    what ? huhuhu

2. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

Someone voices an opinion you don't like, and you categorise him with the conspiracy theorists. Classy. :rolleyes:

I don't understand how that is relevant, unless you're imagining an argument that we're not actually having. :confused:

That's exactly what I said.

Actually, I'm suggesting that players avoid this type of racket in general. That opinion is based on coaching experience and personal playing experience. It's also based on some fairly obvious biomechanical considerations -- i.e. shoulder stability is easier to maintain if you're not trying to make the joint move excessively fast.

If that's not good enough evidence for you, then you are welcome to ignore my suggestion. I won't be offended. ;) Other players may choose to heed it.

I'm trying to help people, not boss them around. I wish the younger version of myself could have read that post when he decided to buy those AT-800-DEs. I wish I could persuade him to pick the MP99 instead.

At the time, there was no one to warn me about the risk. Would I have listened? I don't know. But at least I would have had a reason to think twice.

I would still have ended up with a shoulder injury -- my genes pretty much guaranteed it -- but it could have been less severe.

#502 Gollum, May 10, 2013
    Last edited: May 10, 2013
  3. Matt

Matt Regular Member

IT Developer
    Patience is a virtue lol!! I've waited for over 1/2 a year before getting back into the sport because of an injury I suffered and just started playing about two weeks ago. :crying:

Anyways, I finally had a chance to use it Wednesday night. Since I'm not able to play at 100% yet (still got quite a ways to go). I like the racket a lot. The overhead shots almost seem effortless as the shuttle just goes. Defense is quite efficient as well as I am able to easily use my wrist to pop the bird high for blocking a smash or just lifting it.

I did notice I can hit quicker and can do quick touch or net shots as well. In term of power, it's hard to say since I am 100% at form since I'm still recovering before I could regain full strength (had difficulties trying to put full power my own Arc 7 I like as well). Smashing felt quite good as well and as well as quick drives.

I think you will like it when you go get it. I most likely let my friend who stringed it up give it a test drive since he'll be able to give a better impression. Other than that, the lady I let it to, liked my racket even thou she said it was a bit too high for her but she got used to it.

#503 Matt, May 10, 2013
  4. Sgt_Strider

Sgt_Strider Regular Member

How do you compare this to the F version of the racket? Or maybe I got confused and you have never used the F version of this racket? Man, I hate waiting. I'm about a week away from finding out the answer for myself.

5. Matt

Matt Regular Member

IT Developer
    I never did personally used the F (6U) in gameplay, besides swinging it around stringed up in the store and it felt very light. In comparison just swinging the 5U stringed up, it definably felt different and felt more of the weight and a notice some of the swing momentum; I believe that is what one of my friends was referring to as this racket definitely feels better as it has a better follow through than swinging a twig (6U).

#505 Matt, May 10, 2013
  6. Sgt_Strider

So you're telling me to expect the 5U version to have most of the characteristics of the 6U version, but with more power?

7. Sgt_Strider

Which string are you using?

8. Matt

Matt Regular Member

IT Developer
    I would say some to most of the characteristics + the added feel and momentum on top. Power wise would be a bit more. You'll probably be the better judge when you try it not being crippled like me ha ha!

I mainly bought the 5U for kicks since I wanted to try something new. Since it is light, it would be of some help (not using my Arc7) since I knew when my condition was getting better, I would be given the green light to begin to get back in the sport. Still quite a ways to go but as long as I just play and gradually turn it up as things progress as it, will help those healed muscles get activated and responsive again.

I probably would need to get the 5U gripped up to a G4 size haha! G5 a bit small for my liking.

#508 Matt, May 10, 2013
  9. Matt

Matt Regular Member

IT Developer
    I am using BG-80. I would also use BG-80 Power as well.

#509 Matt, May 10, 2013
  10. Matt

Matt Regular Member

IT Developer
    Yonex Japan announced sometime in January they were making a 5U version for the Japan market as well. Apparently due to demand from my understanding from what one of other BC members said (I don't recall the name).

Attached Files:

11. Sgt_Strider

I feel like I'm going to be a celebrity here on BC. lol! I have spent about a week using the 6U FB so I do have a pretty good idea of how the racket is like. I guess I will probably be in the best position to make a judgment on whether the 5U is the better racket or not. I just got the tracking number for that package as well. Looks like I'll be busy over the coming weeks.

P.S: My Adidas Duoforce is now being inspected by customs. At least that's what my HK tracking number is telling me right now! Looks like the wait for my 5U ArcFB will be a lot easier now that I have a new toy to play with.

12. Sgt_Strider

So you were the guy that took that picture? It's a long thread so I can't possibly remember every single person who uploaded a picture. So let me get this straight, you bought 2 6U ArcFBs and now 2 5U ArcFBs?

13. e_rat

e_rat Regular Member

Art
    So true!

Totally agree! So much injuries relate to the equipment in sport. Try out the racket and match your style. For many years, I chased after the latest and greatest Yonex rackets. Not only I hurt my shoulder, arm and lower back by adjusting myself to the racket, but also burning holes on my wallet.

This FB sounds like a nice one to try out, but I have learned not rush in. Well, just my opinion.

Thanks for great reviews here!

14. Matt

Matt Regular Member

IT Developer
    The forum messed up and was down before I went to bed. I wanted to show the 2 5Us of which I own. I do not own 6Us.

Those two are a picture of the G4 of the 6U CD coded (supposed there was no G4 but it exists for the 6U anyways) at the store.

15. Matt

Matt Regular Member

IT Developer
    Sorry, the forum messed up and was unable to put up the correct pictures before going to sleep.

Attached Files:

16. Sgt_Strider

I don't think you're rushing into anything. There have been lots of people including me who have posted our impressions of the racket after using it for more than a few hours. You should give it a shot and see if it suits your style of play.

17. Maklike Tier

Maklike Tier Regular Member

Unoccupied
    I'd be curious to know what the weight, BP and SW is, strung and overgripped.

So is the 5U version only available in Japan? (Shuttle House?)

18. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    Black Knight as a brand isn't a significant player on the world market. Yet, it has consistently provided racquets to many Canadian national players and those of maybe a few other countries; in fact, a lot of very good (advanced/pro/A and B level) players use BK and quite a few of them still use the SL (superlight 75grams) range, especially the Photon. These players didn't and still don't feel a gaping hole in their game or results when they play against others (who are) using 3u or 4u racquets.

So I guess it's also a little about taking some time and effort to understand how to change your playing style or stroke method or timing or how much emphasis you give on shoulder or forearm power and so on... and about finding the correct string/tension combo to complement the racquet, just like any other racquet... and performing new tricks you couldn't do with a sledgehammer... ;)

19. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    Breaking FBs.... obviously I'd say the 6U is more susceptible to break. OTOH, I'd be inclined to believe the 5U should be pretty tough in this respect. Why? Well, I've not had any problems with the BK Photon at 75g dry weight, and it survived a few scary situations and came out happy and smiling. With the advance in technology since, I'd like to think the FB can fare as well if not better.

I think its also important to remember, when switching from a say 3U lifestyle to a 5U or 6U lifestyle, to give yourself enough time to get acclimatized to the racquet: speed, tension, swing, stiffness, feedback and so on. If you just hit around for a half-hour and then rush into games and matches, you're likely as not going to mishit and cause grief for yourself... ;) Maybe a couple of full sessions just getting to know the beast (or mini-beast :p ) can reduce the chances of mishaps.

20. Matt

Matt Regular Member

IT Developer
    5U is available only in Japan. Shuttle house is one of the Japanese shops. Any Yonex Japan authorized dealer will be able to get it.