Ideal string for low tension on flexible shaft + head heavy/balance racket?

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by blueakoi, Jan 3, 2013.

1. blueakoi

blueakoi New Member

Online Business
    hello guys,

i would like to know your opinion on which string to pick for low tension

my goal is to hit smash as powerful as i can :D

so i learned that low tension string = trampoline effect, and head heavy = more power, plus flexible shaft = another kind of trampoline effect. (CMIIW :D)

but the thing that makes me confused is, which string should i buy? since most recommendation on string are based on high tension stringing (i guess), maybe it is different for low tension...

cmon guys... help me... im really struggling now :crying:

2. gundamzaku

gundamzaku Regular Member

working professional
    i gotten the most power out of Ashaway MicroLegend XL, it's a pretty thick string, so maybe around 24lbs, depends on your normal tension i guess.

3. blueakoi

blueakoi New Member

Online Business
    what about around 14lbs-18lbs? i guess 24lbs is considered 'medium', isn't?

4. Fidget

Fidget Regular Member

Obviously the proper path to better shots is with better technique.... however I approve whole-heartedly of your experiment. :)

My son won a racket which is head-heavier and more flexy than anything I've ever used before. It's too heavy for him, so I took it and put on strings at three pounds less tension than my usual. The result: quite satisfying smashes and backhands without suffering too much in control. This won't replace my regular racket, but is fun in casual games.

So please carry on with your test and let us know how it works! :) I suggest 20 lb and use whatever string that you are used to.

5. gundamzaku

working professional
    this is just my experience with the way i play, 25lbs is the normal tension, and 21-22 is considered low to me, and 26-28 is pretty high and almost unplayable because my strength/form cannot match that required from the high tension. to me, 14-18 is what i used to string at when i was in elementary school and jr high, at high school i was stringing at 18-21, with an oval head. so 14-18 might seemed a bit low to me and almost no control, but it really depends on the OP's strength and form.

now that i think of it i think Fidget might be correct in suggesting that the OP should start at 20lbs tension :)

6. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

Ashaway Zymax 62 is the king of power at low tensions.

7. blueakoi

blueakoi New Member

Online Business

I'm currently using stiff shaft and 24lbs bg 66 string, head heavy hart diamond x-1 which my friend gave me :D

I know i'm gonna lose some control with such low tension, but who cares, i just wanna shoot somebody with my shuttlecock. lol j/k :p

btw may i know what is the racket your son use?

I also interested with testing yonex isometric delta 3 which is extra stiff + bg80 at 23-24lbs though.. i wanna train my arm stronger

anyway thanks for the input

thanks dude.. but may i know which part of the string that affect the power of string at low tensions?

btw, me and my clubmate always playing with feather shuttlecock since its kinda cheap here.

8. decoy

decoy Regular Member

I would assume the suggestion for the zymax 62 was based on it being thin (therefore repulsive) so if you're using bg66 I don't know of many strings thicker except bg66maxima/ultimax and zymax 65/62.

9. visor

visor Regular Member

+1 to Mark's suggestion... do zm62 at 22lbs and you'll have heads turning.

10. gundamzaku

working professional
    ashaway microlegend xl at 0.73mm

11. drowsysmurf

drowsysmurf Regular Member

Make ppl happy O_O
    There's a few things that you have to consider.
    1) When the strings are strung too low of a tension, you don't get as much of a "rebound" effect from the string which would then cause a "weaker" smash.
    2) Strings quickly lose tension right after stringing depending on which string you use (easily 1 lb after a few hits). Because of this, you might want to first experience different tensions with the same kind of string before changing strings.
    3) Different strings hold tension differently and have different effect on the birdies. Typically people go with "thinner" strings for a "harder" smash because of "better" feel and more elasticity.
    4) then you can also try different racket as different rackets transfer power differently. It is not just because it is head heavy - that is just one of the factors. Stiffer rackets tend to snap back to original position faster than flex racket which could mean a better smash, but at the same time if you can't flex the stiff racket, then you would not have the power you receive from a more flexible racket

All that said, I am probably one of the person that smashes least. Happy experimenting. :)