Why is LCW inferior to LD?

Discussion in 'Professional Players' started by green_day, Jan 30, 2011.

1. galaxyduo

galaxyduo Regular Member

Don't worry. There is a way to beat LD: age.

2. Elisha

Elisha Regular Member

Well LD has very good practise opponents. CL, DPY, CJ, and so on. Who does LCW really have that is even close to that level?
    I think LCW can improve way more if he has better sparring partners!

3. SibugiChai

SibugiChai Regular Member

YAB
    All players can be beaten, just how many times can you do it...

4. fauci

fauci Regular Member

because Lin Dan knows when he can do and needs to do what.

After OG2008, Lee Chong Wei has tranformed himself into an attacking beast, while Lin Dan is better aware of the inevitable, AGE!, and has gradually become, what we see today, a rally player with superb touch and control while maintaining his remarkable defense and lashing out lethal attacks only when he needs to.

In a word, Lin Dan is smarter. He hits every stroke with a clear purpose in mind.

5. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    Although I am a LCW fan, I do have to admit that LD is stronger physically, intellectually and mentally.

But above all else, it's attitude which set them apart. Just look at the way they react to something they think is wrong, be it a wrong line call, fault call or whatever. LD will try to fight for everything; LCW will accept it and try harder next time.

6. R20190

R20190 Regular Member

Chartered Civil Engineer
    I sort of agree with that, but I think LCW is physically stronger and marginally faster than LD. I’m not a fan, as such, of either player but I admire them for their abilities. It would be interesting to watch LCW and LD play doubles, I have a feeling LCW would be the better doubles player due to his speed, incredible fast flat play and defense.

My personal view is that there are several reasons as to why LCW struggles to beat LD. The most notable reason imo is in LD’s mental strength. From the moment he walks into the arena, he is radiating such a strong sense of confidence, self belief and presence. But not in an arrogant way. He is just so comfortable in his own skin.

With LCW, anything unexpected such as being fooled by deception or if he is making a few repeated errors, it derails his concentration and hampers his momentum momentarily. I get the sense he feels a lot of pride is at risk. Perhaps it’s a “face” thing.

Another reason that I am beginning to notice, and I haven’t really noticed before is how well LD is reading LCW. I noticed on a few occasions LD’s base during rallies seems to be shifting a little more to the corners he anticipates LCW will play to, more so than LCW is able to do to LD. He seems to know what LCW will do next. LD also has excellent natural deception in his strokes, particularly in the net and mid court area. It’s his ability to play any shot from such a short take-back and flick of the wrist that leaves so little time for opponents to react. It’s great to watch, but must be heart breaking for his opponents.

With LD, I think he genuinely knows he is the best player and is capable of beating anyone but keeps it quietly to himself. So strong is that belief that he doesn’t mind the odd loss and only turns it on for the important games. LCW on the other hand, has to win everything. It’s almost as though LCW gives it 100% all the time, whereas LD only gives it 100% when it matters most. Trying to give 100% all the time can be tiring physically and mentally, so although it will keep LCW on the no.1 spot, he may well run out of steam against strong opponents like LD as was probably the case at the WC.

7. ripper

ripper Regular Member

LCW beats all others in a high-speed-attacking way, the only exception is LD.
    Lee's physical status cannot support him playing in that way in a 2 or 3 sets game against LD.

LD plays the same style against everyone including Lee.

When LEE cannot play in the usual way and the opponent is LD, Lee is doomed.

8. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    very good point.

it used to be LD and LCW can have a smash fest, like pre-2008 era. when that happens, LD have the ability to really push the limit of his gears and LCW more than often misses just that tiny margin and loses. it was a highly physical game and whoever was in a bad form will not be able to keep up.

over the years, LD has transformed his game. he still have the offensive shots like he did, but he uses them really sparingly. we hardly see him do it during the past 2013WC anymore. today's LD is a completely different LD than before.

the transformation has been gradual over the years, perhaps from 2010 onwards, it was gradual and we might not see it (like kids growing up). only when LD takes off for 1/2 yr and suddenly the style is very much apparent (like the auntie who visits the kid after 2 yrs). i don't think LD has been sitting on his ass for this past few months, instead he is just perfecting his new game. kinda like in the old days the martial master goes in the mountain and train, only to come back and kick everybody's butt.

if that's indeed the case, then big round of applause to the thinking of the Chinese coaches. it looks like Xia Xuanze is just as crafty in the training court as he was in the competition court!

LCW however, never changed his game, he is still trying to attack, and as mentioned it works for all but one person in the world, LD. and it is less and less lethal and take more and more toll on his body as he grows older and older. eventually, when the limits hits, he breaks down like we saw he did in the WC2013 final in the pass weekend.

LCW needs to think harder on his playing style. he is not getting any younger and no matter how invincible anyone is, age will sooner or later catch up and to change one's game then will take time. as one ages, their mental maturity foster over time, however, at the same time, their physical ability deteriorate. depending on the person, the sweet spot or crossover point seems to be somewhere in the late 20's or perhaps around 30 yrs old. beyond that the body will deteriorate faster and no matter how smart you are your body cannot keep up with your mind. that's why we see all these "crafty old folks" in the local gyms, they can read your game 100% but just cannot get there fast enough. if LCW don't try to transform his game, i am afraid he will forever play second fiddle behind LD for the only handful of years they have left in the competitive world of international badminton.

9. gelee

gelee Regular Member

Very well put, pretty much sums it up for LCW if intends to get another shot at the WC and one upping LD for once in a major tournament.

10. ripper

ripper Regular Member

Agree.

When XXF commenting her husband's games during the WC 2013, she had mentioned that when she looking the way LD playing, the strategy LD applying, she sighed that only after retiring from the arena for a long time, she could find out that how she had played in such a *dumb* way as a professional player.

LD is lucky to be able to extend his career much longer than usual Chinese male players. And also thanks for his physically and mentally strength, he had a chance to learn, to think, as you said, and to be the master of badminton.

11. frankmanzhu

frankmanzhu Regular Member

LCW will come back next year. Everytime I see him playing, he becomes better. Maybe he gets better chances in the next few years.

12. latecomer

latecomer Regular Member

selfemploy
    There is one simple way for LCW to beat LD is putting on a face mask.

13. halfcent

halfcent New Member

Members have already commented on LCW's style demands too much for his age.
    Even 2 years back, at the first game interval, when the camera zoomed in
    and you can see LCW was puffing. By comparison, LD looked like he has
    just warmed up. When you're out of gas, your focus drops and shots will
    lost precision. LD has made the decision to change his style back
    in '08 and it has been serving him well. It was a surprise to me that
    in WC '11, Gil Clarke made a comment: "not sure LD's style is for the better"
    referring to his change of aggressive style since '08. Morten Frost (MF)
    responded by: "I'm not sure it's for the better". MF also made a comment
    that LCW should be more aggressive. By the third games, LCW was making many
    unforced errors - getting too tired. Well, I don't know what were their
    rationales. Now, which style is better is pretty clear.

There are several LD interviews on Youtube (unfortunately most don't have
    English translation). If you're interested in knowing who LD really is,
    what shapes his character, and his remarkable mental strength,
    these videos shed some lights. He is an extremely determined person. Between words in the interviews, you get an idea how "let-go" he is toward the medals.
    He said he plays not to please anyone but according to his purposes.
    This is a huge relief from within. If I read this correctly,
    that means he is focusing on playing the game and not worrying about
    winning or losing which enables him to play the best he can. LD sees losing
    a match as a reminder to make improvement, a challenge to himself, rather
    than a failure. An interesting observation: LD uses a third person tone to talk about
    himself, like stepping out of himself to talk about LD! Odd, weird, unconventional, your call.

As commented by LYB and Tey Sue Bock, LD and LCW have the same technical skill
    level. While in general that's a fair statement, my humble opinion of LD's
    4-corner placement and net shots are second to none.
    Mixed with his trick shots (delay shots) and slice shots create opportunities
    leading to winners. LD plays variety shots more than others, making it
    harder to read his shots. Reading the opponent well not only give you
    advantage in offensive and defensive play but also in saving energy
    moving around the court. LD seems to do very well in this.

Apart from the style and "let-go" mentality, on-court
    adaptation of the conditions, be it environment or opponent challenges,
    make LD a badminton cameleon allowing him to perform more consistently
    with better results.

Speaking of LD's change of style around '08. I don't believe Xia Xuanze (XXZ)
    was that influential to make LD change. Hints: between games and during
    intervals, XXZ talks to LD, but LD doesn't look at him! In all major world championships,
    LYB always invited Tang Xinfu to coach/prepare LD. One Chinese commentator
    mentioned that "Tang Xinfu said to LD, you are not young anymore, if you keep
    playing your style, you run into higher risk of injury". This is certainly
    not a definitive conclusion but if I were to guess what has happened,
    it would be LD figured out what Tang said, and changed his style with Tang's
    input.

LD once said in an interview that Tang spent half a year trying to understand his personality. Hmmm, how is personality so important in badminton?
    I can't put my finger at it. It could be Tang trying to build up a personal relationship
    or coaching a style to fit LD's personality. Interesting perspective!

Various signs show that LD is a thinker, maybe that's the secret to be
    a highly successful player.

14. madcarrot2007

madcarrot2007 Regular Member

LD is in a team while LCW is not, mentally LD has less pressure in big tournaments like Olympics.