stringing in montreal

Discussion in 'Market Place' started by TonyxNguyen, Aug 15, 2008.

1. TonyxNguyen

TonyxNguyen Regular Member

hey i recently baught a new racquet, ns9kx. i'm looking for a good place to string my racquet that actually knows the patterns for ns9kx and will string with quality unlike sports experts. any places that you reccomend? i can go ANYWHERE in montreal/outside montreal but not more than 1hour by car please. thank you for your time montreal badminton players ^^

2. Soshi

Soshi Regular Member

I usually go to lucien laverdure located on 8724 St-Denis www.lucienlaverdure.com they offer excellent stringing service/all strings but the prices are quite high (20$ for the string+service)

3. bolts

bolts Regular Member

My first choice is RSM

I've been very happy with them everytime and very reasonable prices.

John

4. Soshi

Soshi Regular Member

Is there any address to RSM? (I didn't find any on website)

5. bolts

bolts Regular Member

address

There is no physical address.

What you can do is call or send a message and arrange to meet up with them, usually Saturdays at cegep andre laurendeau, or whatever may be convenient for both of you.

Hope that helps.

bolts

6. Franck2

Franck2 Regular Member

Full-time Student
    Hey Anthony, what's wrong with sports experts' stringing? XD

7. MrChrisBT

MrChrisBT Regular Member

Student, Cook
    Well, I can give my opinion. By my experience, Sports Experts seems to do it for the sake of getting the stringing over with, not to do a quality stringing job.

I had my Armortec 900 Power strung at Sports Experts for 27.99 + high evil Quebec taxes to get BG-85 @ 24 lbs. 24 pounds isn't much and the BG-85's already appear to have very small frays on the top of one of the median vertical string. There are also two minor splits in the string on one grommet of each side of the racket (left & right)... Anyhow, I think I'll post pictures to clarify. It's as if they purposely damage the strings so they snap more quickly. Either that or they do the least careful stringing jobs in the world.

If these strings break in less than a month, guess who's getting a complaint, pictures from the date of purchase and a bill in their face? -.-

8. joedc

joedc Regular Member

One of my cousins worked at Sports Experts. He did a good job but said he saw others just rush through jobs. When you rush, you stress the frame and the string and are more likely to make errors.

I didn't like any of the stringers at the major sports or racquet stores. So I bought my own stringing machine back in 1999. I did extensive research on the proper methods for stringing. I string on a Laserfibre ML100 machine, which is true constant pull. I string for friends and family.

9. bolts

bolts Regular Member

stringing + playing

Hey Joe we can be friends!:rolleyes:

And not just for your stringing services mind you...although it is time to re-string a couple of my rackets!

Seriously though if you're up for playing wednesday evenings let me know...

Dunno what part of town you're in but I've played a couple of times at club anjou and the level is just above mine so I enjoyed playing there alot.

Let me know if you're interested.

John

10. joedc

joedc Regular Member

haha hi Bolts, sure I'm a friendly guy:D.

I just got back from playing badminton for the first time in a couple of years. I won all 4 games:). My back is very weak though. So right now I will rest and just see if I will be able to continue playing. (I had got a bad back injury a few months ago).

I used to play a lot of tennis. I'd offer to restring for friends. I would take the racquets home and bring them back since I didn't really want too many visitors at my home, lol. I am still paying off my machine so I charge $11 even to my closest best friends. So I think you would not save much from stringing with me compared with RSM.

I actually might call RSM to order some strings. Do you know how much they charge for delivery within Montreal?

I don't live far from anjou. I'm in St-Leo. If my back holds up, we can meet up sometime. How much does it cost to play in anjou?

11. bolts

bolts Regular Member

If you pay by visit it's $5 Joe.... as for the stringing it's not about the money more convenience and just having it done right!

It's pretty much the same with rsm you have to meet to drop off your racket ...then arrange to meet again to pick it up, not a big deal but it is time consuming.

Here's the site for anjou, pretty good competition.... for me anyway :rolleyes:

http://www.badmintonanjou.ca/

Feel free to pm me joe, I can't figure it out for the life of me.... and I've pmed in the past!:confused:

bolts

PS for delivery you can arrange to meet ...usually Mont Royal and de la Roche Chef du Wok or wherever might be convenient for both of you...

PPS I prefer bright colored string btw...yellow, green etc.. :D

#11 bolts, Jan 16, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2009
  12. beermonstertw

beermonstertw Regular Member

You find yourself a stringing machine,I`ll show you how to string your rackets.

13. TheBadStringer

TheBadStringer New Member

I agree with that statement, Sports Experts just string to "get over it"

I had a very unpleasant experience at the Sports Experts in Brossard.

The stringer damaged the paint on the frame of my racquet, and when I went back to the staff to voice my disatissfaction, and asked them if they had white paint to repair what they had caused, they left me very bitter, telling me to go to Canadian Tire to buy paint to cover up their mistake, offering no appologies.

I ended up spending an additional $$$ on oil based paints markers to "repair" their mistake, but to no avail. The dents remained after applying the paint job and are still clearly visible.

I had taken pictures of my racquet prior to the stringing, which revealled no such missing chunks of paints and visible dents.

Seriously folks, DON'T RESTRING your racquet at the Brossard Store... if you value your racquet.

14. Kalen

Kalen Regular Member

Honestly, i agree 120% !! I got to see them stringing my racket at sport expert in brossard and trust me, all i see is racket abuse!! They charge u a good 25$ for bg65 with the worst stringing ever. Then tell them ur stringing a high end yonex racket (such as armortec 900T) and they'll complain about it. They'll ask u if ur even a pro and they'll tell u about accidents that happened to them while stringing at high tensions. Anyway, bad experience in at sport expert for stringing and theyre not care at all...

15. TheBadStringer

wow, I wrote my original post on Oct 2011, and by March 2013, a bit over 1 year, it seems that nothing has changed at the Sports Expert store in Brossard in terms of racquet frame abuse!!!

I had sent a formal email to their headquarter office, and they then set up an appointment to speak to the local manager, which offered to refund the string job, the paint cost, and well as offer another "string job". I decided to give them another chance, but in the end, I got the same stringer, told him to be extra careful with my high end (now discontinued) racquet, but what I got was another "butcher job".

In the end, it matters not what the real cause is: lack of training, skills, improper equipment, what have you, no excuses...the harm is already done, the damage and dents are permanent scars...

If they don't want business, it won't be long before the whole community red flags them as "racquet-abusers" "buyer's beware", the word will spread quickly. I don't want to encourage this negligent practice, and I have decided to not buy racquets nor give them restringing jobs, deep discount or not.

16. Kalen

Kalen Regular Member

Sigh..at least you got your money back despite having a damaged racket. As for me, I didn't receive anything back but a unforgivable comment: "Your racket doesn't have the CAN code, therefore we can't refund you if there is any damages".

Nonetheless, my friend got his Arcsaber Z Slash strung at the same place. In consequence, he received a damaged racket with 10% off. Basically, Sport Expert had given him 10% off a chipped racket. To be honest, I think we're just buying chipped rackets for a high price even after applying the 10% Off.

17. TheBadStringer

Sorry to hear about your "racquet abuse" story, but if this can bring you any comfort, I think that posting such horrible stories on blogs will raise more awareness to the racquet sport community (at least locally in Brossard and the South Shore).

Eventually, consumers will wise-up and go to specialized stores where the stringer does the job in front of you...it's the only way to enforce and ensure that people don't abuse of your property.

Sports Expert is a general store that sell anything (golf clubs, hockey equipment, outdoors equipment, clothing, etc) to anyone, best avoided if possible...

It's a shame because they had an experienced stringer a few years ago, and he did quite a good job, at least, he took pride in his job...

18. Kalen

Kalen Regular Member

As a matter of fact, the stringer did string my racket in front of me. They made me sign a paper telling me that it wont be their fault if the string breaks the first day. To be honest, It does not bring me comfort but anger. How would we all feel when we see our 200 $ racket abused in front of our eyes. Sport expert is already well known for racket abuse, however I don't think people will stop paying them money for stringing because specialized stringer are not anywhere to be found in Brossard. All in one, Sport Expert need to do a better job for us, however even if they didn't, nothing would've changed since our sport is not as popular.

Also, I must agree, Bob who used to work in Sport Expert at Brossard is truly a good stringer. It is a shame that he quit a couple of years ago.

19. TheBadStringer

ok, the slip is a waiver to blame them, same kind of protection (for them) like what you do when you hand over your car keys to the mechanic (the devil's in the details).

Then physical presence or not, and it would make sense why they couldn't care any less about customer's racquets. It boils down to taking pride in the work you do, like we mentioned, the old stringer Bob.

Listen, it's been over a year, and I totally understand your frustration. My racquet was also $200 and butchered into pieces and notches (it's not just the paint job, we're talking about chucks of graphene, and carbon nanotube being expelled from the matrix). Of course I am still very bitter and disappointed, but you've nailed it, it's the waiver form, and it also boils down to the attitude + experience + skills of the stringer.

What can we do moving forward? Anyone knows about the quality of the stringer's job at the Sport Expert in quartier Dix-30 or elsewhere on the South Shore (Sani sport, Rome St.-Hwy 132)? Any recommendations?

20. Kalen

Kalen Regular Member

I think YMCA provide stringing services, however I can't confirm it. I heard that SE in at downtown also do a bad stringing, but I only read it in the forum and haven't confirmed in experience. I'll probably try next stringing at SE in Quartier 10/30 next time so I'll let you know once my next string breaks (which I don't think it will be long).