Tribute to WS greatest ever player: Susi " the Ballerina" Susanti

Discussion in 'Indonesia Professional Players' started by Yoppy, May 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vixter

vixter Regular Member

Well, she probably said that out of politeness... Of course a 39 year old, since long-retired Susanti has no chance against an active pro, no matter how great she was during her prime. I didn't see this exhibition but I can not imagine Maria Febe played on full speed. Exhibitions are meant to entertain a crowd.

I was not following badminton during Susanti's reign but I have seen what there is to see on youtube and of course I see her greatness too, but I want to argue that Maria Kristin Yulianti is same level of talent. Just her injuries holding her back. Remember that the game was played at a slower pace 15 years ago.

2. AlanY

AlanY Regular Member

4? not even close. just to name a couple

Judy Hashman (Devlin) won it SEVEN times, and
    Ethel Thomson won it TEN times.

3. Yoppy

Yoppy Regular Member

4 times I think is good enough for her to be the greatest, considering how many more medals that she won. Plus she achieved all this in such dominating manner. And not to forget with the highest standard of fair play and sportmanship. No one till today play badminton as beautiful as she did.

4. Fortune

Fortune Regular Member

student
    @ Yoppy : WS greatest ever player ? What is the reason ?

5. repentedboy

repentedboy Regular Member

student la
    She has won everything except for Asian Games.

There are only two players who are almost this close to be greater than her:

Wang Shixian or Wang Yihan. You pick?

Wang Shixian needs an Olympic gold and World Champ.

Wang Yihan needs Olympic gold and Asian Games

6. OneToughBirdie

OneToughBirdie Regular Member

engineer
    Reason, none, just bias. Susi is my favorite player, I would rate her one of the greatest. Some player may win more titlles, etc. Just like ZJH almost blanking a then world champion (Joko) 15-nothing in a major that ZJH is called one of the greatest, a magician. Susi at her prime took on the entire CHN wall beating them all and blanked a CHN #1 and world champion 15-0 or 15-1, not many player other than ZJH or Susi has accomplished these feat. As for Susi play, that is like ballet on badminton court, beautiful to watch. The way she serve with those intimidating eye, exudes confident. Prolly could say the greatest WS player INA hasever produced. I am bias too.;)

7. Jagdpanther

Jagdpanther Regular Member

Uni Student
    Uncle OTB, a word of advice: take a quick look at post history of the one you quoted (it's not that many, won't be time-consuming) and you'll know that sometimes, ignoring someone is a wise thing to do. :)

8. Krisna

Krisna Regular Member

General Management
    [video=youtube;Z_HJ5ooDErM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_HJ5ooDErM[/video]

9. Krisna

Krisna Regular Member

General Management
    I talked to Susi right after her match against Maria Febe... Susi said: "That was torture" Her face were all red... but smiling and laughing...

10. Fortune

Fortune Regular Member

student
    Olympics wasn't held during LLW era, so it wasn't her fault if her title is not complete. How about title in arch rival country ? LLW has 4 INA open titles. How many CHN open title won by Susi ? :p

11. Fortune

Fortune Regular Member

student
    And why Susi couldn't even win 1 title during LLW and HAP era ?

12. repentedboy

student la
    Her greatness is quite questionable due to LLW and HAP

Yes that's really strange, Susi Susanti's emergence overlaps the later stage of LLW and HAP era but she couldnt get the better of them.

Slowly Tang JiuHong and Huang Hua came in to step into their shoes and only then Susi started to win big titles when the formers were gone.

Her greatness is still questionable somehow because she couldnt beat both LLW and HAP.

I bet if Rudy Hartono and Arbi are still here, Lin Dan can thrash them :p

13. Fortune

Fortune Regular Member

student
    I really don't get your logic. 4 titles is good enough to be the greatest. And how about the one who won 7 titles ? Who is greater ? 4 > 7 ? :p

14. Yoppy

Yoppy Regular Member

Read again what I said, Susie did not only win 4 but also many other medals. OG, WC, UC, and many others.

15. repentedboy

student la
    Yes she did win almost everything but her defeat and shortcomings against Li LingWei and HanAiping puts her greatness debate in doubt.

Just like Taufik Hidayat, won OG and WC but I see him getting pummelled by literally almost every player in the circuit.

16. drquick

drquick Regular Member

Doctor
    And that's definetely not Susi's fault too

I guess Susi weren't in her prime at LLW and HAP era. Besides, who has won anything out of these two queen in 80's :p? They were untouchable at that time.
    For me, I would prefer to say that LLW, HAP & Susi are "ranks among the greatest in the history of the women's game" (just like said in theirs wikipedia profile :))

#36 drquick, Jul 1, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2012
  17. drquick

drquick Regular Member

Doctor
    Anwy, I think it's useless to say that kind of "LD will trash any star player from the past" because there's no way we can see them face each other in their own prime time. Of course we all agree that LD is a great champions but again it is disrespectful even just to think that other great champions like Rudi and Arbi will easily trashed by LD. We will never know about it.

For Taufik, in time when he win OG, WC and others in mid 2000's, he definetely not a player that "getting pummelled by literally almost every player in the circuit". Even his lost to that many players, still he is one of the greatest MS player ever for me.

18. drquick

drquick Regular Member

Doctor
    If anyone want to say that Susi wins just because the other 2 queens LLW and HAP were not there anymore , than it would be an insult for the others queens in 90's era such as Bang Soo Hyun, Ye Zhaoying, and also Tang Jiuhong and Huang Hua

19. Qidong

Qidong Regular Member

Waiting to be out-sourced
    Susi was born on 1971. LLW on 1964 and HAP 1962. Susi was just a teenager when LLW/HAP were at their prime. How can they be compared?

20. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    They can be compared if one has a limited perspective and take players at their prime compared to a player gaining her experience.

Huang Hua? A good player but not on the same level as Susi. Nowhere near.
    Ye Zhao Ying? Great strokes but you know it's so hard to break Susi's mental toughness and consistency
    Bang Soo Hyun, Tang JiuHong - Susi probably rallied them into retirement :D:)

However, Susi, Huang, Ye, Bang, Tang showed the change of style from the domination of Han AiPing/Li LingWei moving to the modern era badminton.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.