Post videos of yourself playing

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by GTAveteran, Apr 8, 2009.

1. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Hi,

The angle of the camera and the reflection make it difficult to track the shuttle.

It's not ideal to ask for comments for that situation. You have a partner you hardly play with and games only up to 15 points. With that stress, you are always trying to finish off the points very quickly. Difficult to assess your game with those stresses.

2. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

[video=youtube;Xk_7tttEDIs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xk_7tttEDIs[/video]After a long time, a tournament again. Doubles. With my former (tournament) partner.I've taken a long break, injured a muscle directly after that break, and had one week of training before this. Safe to say I'm not in any decent shape, but considering the circumstances, I'm satisfied with the matches we played. Will take a long time to get back to good strength, but I'm determined to get there! :DI'm the tall guy with the black/lime green Asics shoes.Any tips regarding physical recovery or tactical improvements to our game are welcome :D

3. blableblibloblu

blableblibloblu Regular Member

student
    ^ are you ever not injured? :p

4. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Well, last time I wasnt was last April :D

5. Steve the noob

Steve the noob Regular Member

Always looking forward to your videos, Ben.

It was evident you weren't playing at you're best, but don't push yourself too much during training or you'll risk injuring yourself even more. Happened to me when I was training for a triathlon, almost had to quit during the race.

6. alex292

alex292 Regular Member

Student
    I managed to record two more games from my last tournament (Semi-Finale and finale). At the moment we almost play one tournament per week and last two times we finished second.
    My doubles partner in these videos is my regular doubles partner from last and upcoming season. We didn't loose a game last season and hope to repeat that next season, but are still looking to improve.

I am the tall guy (blue shirt, orange shoes) and I usually cover the net and my partner works from the back. Any advice on our tactical game would be highly appreciated.

My biggest weakness is my inconsistency, especially when playing at the net all the time. Sometimes I have awesome games and we can dominate much higher ranked pairs and sometimes I feel totally lost at the net and I feel like a spectator on court. The finale was one of those games. I made alot of unforced errors and couldn't pressure our opponent as normal. Especially in the service situation, in which I normally take the advantage, I just pushed lots of serves into the net because for some reason I was standing way further back than normal (although I don't have difficulties returning flick serves and our opponent didn't even use the flick serve against me).

Any advice on how I can consistently involve myself at the front of the court is appreciated :)

The semi-finale was against a pair we never played against before, but we knew one of the opponents. We managed to win the game 21:18 21:17. Our match is the one on the court in the middle (2x blue vs blue+red).
    [video=youtube;BGUxxx9h1S0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BGUxxx9h1S0[/video]
    [video=youtube;EZ0dvE-4Alc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZ0dvE-4Alc[/video]

The finale was against two well known opponents. We beat them in our last tournament in three sets and already played against each other in the group phase, but this time we lost in three sets. In the finale we lost in two sets (21:18 21:18) and I didn't play very well.
    [video=youtube;CK7xmfciug8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CK7xmfciug8[/video]
    [video=youtube;FvTgnplnCB4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FvTgnplnCB4[/video]

Any advice on tactics or technique is greatly appreciated.

7. swunk

swunk Regular Member

your and your partner's serves suck big time
    also both you and your partner always wait for the shuttle to come to you, not making efforts for taking it early, to put more pace and pressure into the game.

8. decoy

decoy Regular Member

@alex@292 you and your partner need to fix your fundamentals before you worry about tactical play. I say one rally in the first game where you didn't get to a lift that was literally only 1.5 steps away. Also both of you when you hit it looked kind of weird, might have been the camera angle but a lot of the shots looked like stick smashes even when you wanted to play drop shots.
    My advice is to play "looser". I think that will help with your inconsistencies and might be why your swings look weird since your muscles are all so tight.
    I'm writing this while watching games and just want to say that the first rally in the third video, that shot looked in :p.

The third game looked a lot better and the camera angle looked better. For you, when playing at the net I think your inconsistencies come from being too stiff and from standing a tad too close to the net. You're so tall you can stand back a bit.
    For your partner, he tries to play reverse slices on all of his drops but he stops his racquet immediately on contact and the shuttle kind of loops instead of "shuttling" (I don't know a word to describe it other than "going").
    I think you played better in the final than the semi though by the way. Sorry if this post is ramble-y.

9. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Thanks man, I appreciate it :) I'm taking it really slow in training at the moment, there's not a lot going on in the summer break here apart from a couple fun tournaments, so I can really take my time to make sure I'm back to decent shape for next season. Playing less than half of how much I used to play is kinda hard though :/

10. alex292

alex292 Regular Member

Student
    Wetteraucup Friedberg

Thrid Tournament in a row and after scoring two second places we finally won our first tournament together. :)

As in the video from last week I play with my regular doubles partner. He usually works from the back and I cover the net.

Throughout the tournament we had some really good games. Especially in the semi-final we played against an evenly skilled pair, but we were on fire and totally dominated the game. Sadly I didn't film that game :(

Our game (finale) is on the court in the middle and we were starting on the right side (light blue shirts). I am the tall guy (orange shoes, dark hair).
    As last week any advice on technique or tactics for me and my partner is highly appreciated :)

[video=youtube;37NtcBEbO3s]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=37NtcBEbO3s#t=73[/video]
    [video=youtube;Vjw-11QMNKA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vjw-11QMNKA#t=34[/video]

General Question: Which camera angle do you guys prefer? From behind, from the side or maybe even diagonal? All the super series are filmed from behind, but their camera is elevated so that you can see the whole court and all players. I only have a normal tripod and when I film from behind (like last weeks final) the view gets blocked by one pair.

11. Nova89

Nova89 Regular Member

3 yrs ago video lol pretty old but still worth watching
    [video=youtube_share;NXYUFghqvbg]http://youtu.be/NXYUFghqvbg[/video]

Axiata Cup my chance to play with the top
    Me and my long time dbls partner vs Malaysias Lim/Goh
    [video=youtube_share;a6O6-_l6SOk]http://youtu.be/a6O6-_l6SOk[/video]

Me and Pete vs Indonesias Ahsan/Setiawan
    [video=youtube_share;aXpZjtjLyhg]http://youtu.be/aXpZjtjLyhg[/video]

Axiata Singles
    Me vs Tommy Sugiarto
    [video=youtube_share;XjneEhjntRw]http://youtu.be/XjneEhjntRw[/video]

Me vs Thailand's Boonsak Ponsana

[video=youtube_share;qkj3UO0L_RY]http://youtu.be/qkj3UO0L_RY[/video]

12. |_Footwork_|

|_Footwork_| Regular Member

Pretty impressive, thanks for sharing!

13. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Impressive indeed. After that, I feel kinda bad posting one of my own.....not bad enough to not do it though :D
    An MD match taken from my most recent training session, luckily I didn't film the first match....in which I broke the strings on both my doubles rackets....
    Feel free to give me any advice you think I could use.
    I was pretty satisfied with the session (not this particular match), but that's because I'm slowly working my way back to form, having had injury and health issues that prevented effective training for quite some time. My somewhat skeletal appearance is mostly owed to those issues as well....wasn't aware it was this bad until I saw the footage though :D No need to worry though, I'm on my way back to a decent amount of muscle ;)

[video=youtube;JEBtRrsWeqI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JEBtRrsWeqI[/video]
    I'm the guy with the colorful tape, if you don't know me from earlier videos.

14. greblu

greblu Regular Member

Student
    Nice you took even a game from Sandra*

15. Fidget

Fidget Regular Member

[MENTION=117735]Nova89[/MENTION] , those are awesome videos. It's thrilling that you are sharing your very high level experiences. Thank you!

Would you care to comment on these matches? Which was the most exciting for you? Most nerve-wracking? Do you have a favourite player on the professional circuit? Have you met that person or played against them?

Insights into the world of the pros is the type of information us forumers love. :)

16. Nova89

Nova89 Regular Member

Thanks Fidget. All the games were nerve-wracking lol we dont play with them outside court so we come in there having few knowledge about their playstyle and those came from videos we see of these players. We know we can do better, and that's what we been doing, travelling to places to get more involved international.

Our match against EUR's Ivanov and Sozonov was for me the most intense. European men are bigger and that advantage of theirs have been well demonstrated by those two pairs. I never felt too much pressure on those two lol arms generate more power than the others. We come in to the court trying to have 100% confidence to ourselves but you never know if its enough til your opponents get to learn you and your weakness and it dont take long for them to learn it.

17. visor

visor Regular Member

Ivanov... lol, his serves from the waist are practically at tape height, and any and all lifts are thundered down at crazy steep angles. I can't imagine playing against someone who should be playing professional basketball. :)

18. |_Footwork_|

|_Footwork_| Regular Member

[MENTION=64484]j4ckie[/MENTION]:

Nice video.
    I think I mentioned it before, you (by which I mean all 4 guys on court...) main problem is consistency.
    1st rally: easy error
    2nd rally: easy error
    3rd rally: easy error
    4th rally: nice shot (rather weak serve)
    5th rally: very, very nice rally. outstanding.
    then some rallies with really easy mistakes by your opponents...

You got the point?
    In your good rallies, your level is really good! But unfortunately, you ruin that by quite some easy mistakes, bad shot selection etc. in other rallies. The key to play a level or two higher is playing more of the good rallies and less "one-shot-error"-rallies...

19. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Thanks for the reply. I agree that at the moment, my consistency is pretty atrocious, it's probably a mix of my lack of fitness (lacking speed/stability, playing shots from difficult positions), my general lack of court time and also my natural tendency to go for extravagant shots that will probably haunt me as long as I play a sport :D at least it was the same in table tennis, tennis and football ;)

20. visor

visor Regular Member

lol... i live for the extravagant shots... :)

if only they counted for 2 points for every time i win with one... :p