Why serve so high to the back in singles?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by BernieR, Jan 16, 2014.

1. raymond

raymond Regular Member

Top Secret
    [MENTION=67921]Avenger[/MENTION]: You must have missed descriptions on the properties of a good high serve discussed here. And I'm not sure why you keep bringing up movement speed as a factor in receiving such serves.

It's true that Peter (and other male players) seldom uses such a high serve these days, I'm still wondering why. Once again, unless we disagree on the premise that such serves (esp. when serve deep, to the point receiver's feet are behind 2nd back line) can't be easily hit down.

2. Avenger

Avenger Regular Member

Student
    that is if the server can do it perfectly every single time. I doubt even pro will risk to use high serve every single time when knowing that it is also could be out.

why I always said speed? because if they can get in the place on time, they can do whatever they want with it. even without being able to hit perfectly because they can't hit the head of the shuttle.
    LCW or LD might be gladly smashing the shuttle when other players used a high serve, and then move to the front like wind if needed.

not sure if I answer your question or not.
    my main point is that: high serve is good if your opponent is only around average players. pros are able to take it easily and can do whatever shot they want with it. if this answer is not satisfactory, then maybe another member can clear it up as I already tell why high serve does not work against better players

3. sautom88

sautom88 Regular Member

In the 80's ALL singles players do drills for high serves. If u are playing at competition level, 9 out of 10 your high serves has to fall in between the rear doubles and singles service lines. That was one of my earlier drills when I was training to play singles for my junior college in Singapore in 1980. If u train properly for it, it will be a piece of cake compared to other shots because there is no pressure, it is the 1st shot in the rally.

4. Avenger

Avenger Regular Member

Student
    *let's just say I am just assuming here since I am not even in this world until late 80s
    I think on the 80s, there are much less pressure.. maybe because the old rule is still there (the server will not lose point if they lose the rally, only changing the server)

right now, 1 mistake might costs the player the tide of the game. plus, pros can reach it easily without too much effort and being able to move to the front really fast if needed.

**I am thinking if the weight of the racket (being 100+ gr) might also contribute to the high serve in 80s and 90s?

5. sautom88

sautom88 Regular Member

What does the weight of the racket have anything to do with high serves in singles? For the pros 2U or 3U does not make any difference because they trained EVERYDAY with it. Fu Hai Feng will not say that I cannot do that powerful of a jumpsmash if I am using 2U rackets. He might say that he might can only do 100 of such smashes instead of 120 if he were to use 2U rackets.

6. Avenger

Avenger Regular Member

Student
    yeah, which is why I said, might be, I am asking a question here :)
    because I am thinking it is much harder to swing when it is 100+gr instead of 85gr. but yeah, I don't think pro cannot handle it
    thanks for the explanation

7. |_Footwork_|

|_Footwork_| Regular Member

generally speaking, for most players (i.e. players that are not on international level) it is better to do high serves in singles.

8. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Hmm, my memory is failing me. I am positive there was a drive serve in an important match final.

9. raymond

raymond Regular Member

Top Secret