Will Lee Chong Wei remain World No.1 until the 2012 OG?

Discussion in 'Malaysia Professional Players' started by chris-ccc, Apr 6, 2009.

1. eaglehelang

eaglehelang Regular Member

If you see carefully, you'll notice it's the non LCW fans who so called "panic" with the semantics of the word "closer" that chris used ;);).

I think chris@ccc likes this Chen Long & forsees the young gun as future top player, though many argue the Chen Long arent as good as LD, CJ, BCL. But then again, which of the current batch of China MS youngsters are?

And...........chris will be happy to know Chen Long has moved up 40 placings to WR#60, ahead of the retired CHen Yu(WR#93) & Chen Hong (WR#97). WR#100 to WR#60, that's definitely more than an inch jump :p. But I'm sure chris already knew that from his calculations, hence his earlier excited post abt CHen Long.

Now CL need to catch up with Gong Weiji(WR#36) & Lu Yi (WR#32) 1st before moving up year by year to challenge the top guns.
    http://internationalbadminton.org/r...22=&txtId22=&select2=CHN&Submit22=Submit&id=1

#201 eaglehelang, Apr 16, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2009
  2. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    It great to see Taufik Hidayat now ranked as World No.5

eagle ... I only said that I Chen Long could be a future top player. It's only a 'could'. At this moment, CL's level is far below the World Top 4. Our conversation about CL only started after he defeated LCW at the 2009 India Open. I did say that CL is one of the rising stars, but I suspect it would take a long time for him to get to the top rankings. In fact, I do not expect him to overtake LCW before the 2012 OG.

Thanks for informing us about CL's latest ranking. Yes, quite a big jump to WR#60 from #100. IMHO, players like LCW, LD, TH and PG shouldn't have much problem against CL in this year, 2009.

BTW, LD is now ranked at #3, below PG at #2 (PG should be happy :)) and LCW still at #1. It also great to see TH, currently at #5, moving 'very close' :p to CJ at #4.

Perhaps, PG could be the first to overtake LCW.

3. ye333

ye333 Regular Member

Surprise surprise. But of course, if LD only attend 2 SS tournaments every 3 months, even if he won all of them, he would only get 9200 x 8 = 73600 pts.

Also it seems we will see more LD - LCW semifinal from now on... :D

4. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    that mean we would see more PG vs TH too?

5. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

LD-vs-LCW at Semi-Finals and TH-vs-PG at Quarter-Finals

Yes, we'll have LD-vs-LCW at Semi-Finals, and TH-vs-PG at Quarter-Finals. :cool::cool::cool:

6. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    yayyy, more LD vs TH finals:p hehehehe

7. pjswift

pjswift Regular Member

There's likelihood of LCW, LD and TH in one half and destroying one another to reach the final where PG awaits.I hope it happens.

8. eaglehelang

eaglehelang Regular Member

Oops, ya lah, LD lost points even though he didnt participate ABC last yr. PG, tending to his broken toe, moved up pulak :p:p. Haha, yup, Taufik is only 911 pts behind CJin.

9. jasonmarc

jasonmarc Regular Member

Hehe,..if a broken toe can brings up PG's WR....he has nine more toes to break.............soon his will be WR No. 1.........:D:D:D...joking ...

10. drifit

drifit newbie

PM
    Chong Wei reaps his latest reward – a brand new and sleek Perdana V6

By RAJES PAUL

KUALA LUMPUR: It pays to be a top national badminton player. And world number one men singles shuttler Lee Chong Wei will certainly attest to this.
    The 27-year-old Chong Wei’s latest reward for all his accomplishments in badminton is a brand new and sleek black-colour Proton V6 Perdana car.
    The Penangite has done well to maintain his world number one status since winning a silver medal at the Beijing Olympic Games in August last year.
    [​IMG] Full of drive: World No. 1 Lee Chong Wei hopes all the rewards he has received will inspire aspiring singles players to achieve excellence in the game.
    Proton is the main title sponsor for the Badminton Association of Malaysia (BAM) and they felt that it was time to recognise Chong Wei for his successes.
    And Chong Wei hopes that all the incentives and rewards he has received would inspire other aspiring younger singles players to press on and achieve excellence in badminton.
    “It is rewarding to be a national badminton player. Our sponsor (Proton) has been generous to reward me with a car last week for all the good results that I have achieved,” said Chong Wei.
    “Currently, we have a small pool of singles players at the elite level. Hopefully, many aspiring youngsters will be encouraged to improve their game in badminton.
    “My beginning as a player was not easy too. But from my experience, I am sure that if the youngsters persevere, they will be rewarded for all their hard work one day,” he said.
    For now, there are no players snapping at the heels of Chong Wei.
    Two seasoned campaigners – Mohd Hafiz Hashim and Kuan Beng Hong – are trying to salvage their badminton careers while four elite squad back-up players – Tan Chun Seang, Chong Wei Feng, Mohd Arif Abdul Latif and Liew Daren – are still trying to make a breakthrough at the top level internationally.
    “I hope all the back-up players, who are training with me, will make vast improvements in their game. Sometimes, I take them out and advise them. I want the best for them too,” said Chong Wei.
    “The opportunity is all there but these players must put in extra effort.”
    For the record, other than the car, Chong Wei has won several prestigious awards, including the Olympian of the Year and the National Sportsman of the Year.
    He has also been appointed as the National Goodwill Ambassador for United Nations Children Fund (Unicef) Malaysia.
    He also received monetary incentives from the National Sports Council (NSC) and BAM for his successes and has endorsed many products.

from today staronline.

wonder what will he gets in 2011, if he still maintaining world number 1?

11. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

A brand new car every year if he could maintain his World No.1 position?

Happy for LCW. Perhaps he could get a brand new car every year if he could maintain his World No.1 position until the 2012 OG.

12. AlanY

AlanY Regular Member

I would have thought that been given a porton car is a punishment, unless of course you allow to give it away.

13. koo_fan

koo_fan Regular Member

Student
    ..... i think it is permissible to "give it away".
    A punishment..ouch! :p

14. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Looking at..

..looking at the sponsor logo on his yellow shirt, anyone surprised?..;)

What will he get in 2011 if he maintains his WR #1??..Hmmmm, let me think....another Proton car??..:confused:

15. pjswift

pjswift Regular Member

From the advertising point of view, I wouldn't call the Perdana car a gift.
    Indirectly,it's getting LCW's endorsement for the cost price of the car.That's smart of Proton.
    On that basis, it would not be surprising he gets a new model regularly as long as he remains WR1.

16. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

yeah, its a reward and chong wei fully deserves it;)

17. AlanY

AlanY Regular Member

guess that you guys havent driven a proton before. i have unfortunately been given a porton for a couple of days. believe me, it wasnt a reward but a punishment!

18. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

hmm, u mean Proton cars?:D..speechless:p
    btw, that's the 'reward' from Proton to him, and he has to accept it. furthermore, if he feels like its an indeed a 'punishment' for him, he can sell it anytime:D:Dlol

19. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

LCW to promote Proton whenever he's on Badminton assignments

:D:D:D Hahaha... Perhaps LCW has been requested to do this;

When on Badminton assignments, please drive your Proton.
    When not on Badminton assignments, you can drive your other car(s).

20. danielwong

danielwong Regular Member

Salesman
    why they are not giving him Proton Exora???