Why is LCW inferior to LD?

Discussion in 'Professional Players' started by green_day, Jan 30, 2011.

1. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

Even if Misbun sidek is there, i don't think it will make much difference.
    Btw, that fat guy is Teh Siu Bock:D

2. pBmMalaysia

pBmMalaysia Regular Member

badminton coach
    hey that guy is a good coach and his name is tay seu bok

and has been assisting misbun to train lcw for quite sometime :)

Anyway probably you are right, with misbun around things could have been different

after all it was a close game :D

3. sting1988

sting1988 Regular Member

School
    Lin Dan = 独孤求败 ,Lee ChongWei = 一人之下,万人之上

4. flite

flite Regular Member

You already have all the answers in some of the points cited but at an extremely minimal degree as time passes.

On my personal point of view, the one with lesser predictable shots held an slight advantage as the other couldn't capitalized (anticipate) on where the opponent is sending the shuttle to. I can provide a couple of LCW's habitual shots which is the cross-court net shot and the punch-lob which LD clearly took full advantage of. LCW could use the punch-lob on slower players but not on an always on-position LD that replied with a stinging side line smashes. The other is LD's superior ability in his attack which punishes any of LCW 3/4 court lifts.

Anyway like I said the difference between these two great players are very marginal nowadays and it all boils down to who is fresher on match day.

5. Qidong

Qidong Regular Member

Waiting to be out-sourced
    No doubt about it, both are great champions. I believe both LD and LCW knows that they are way ahead of the other players. But LCW always gives 100% no matter who he plays, but LD is kind of relax a little bit against other players, but knows he has to give 100% against LCW. Watching them play is like a mind games, they both play cautiously and wait for the other player to make mistake to score a point. So it's all mentally, I think LD just has a slight edge in this category. The rest should be very even.

6. undeadshot

undeadshot Regular Member

Agree with you. Lee Chong Wei is better than anyone except Lin Dan.

LCW is actually good enough to come up with his own game plan. I think Misbun is not a factor here. LCW can actually go solo in my opinion, but he's loyal. I believe that Misbun DID give him tips before the match!

7. terencechan

terencechan Regular Member

The reality is LCW wasn't good enough on the day. The reason for that is tactics. Misbun's tactics even if employed during the early stages of the game would have be useless because Xuanxe would have found a way to neutralize it by the 3rd game. It's a game of anticipation and tactics. They plan 3-4 shots ahead to move each other out of position for the kill. Although LCW is good tactically, another calm head sitting outside the court can shift the balance.. I repeat a calm head, not a fat head thinking about MDs all the time (hahaha.. just joking TSB)

LCW is actually good enough to come up with his own game plan. I think Misbun is not a factor here. LCW can actually go solo in my opinion, but he's loyal. I believe that Misbun DID give him tips before the match![/QUOTE]

8. volcom

volcom Regular Member

Misbun couldn't help LCW those many times before, why suddenly could he have been a factor?
    That being said, LD was missing the calming presence of Tang Xianghu too.

9. pBmMalaysia

badminton coach
    Make up your mind with your two statements,

You are confusing readers here,

Are you not contradicting yourself ?:D

10. Bugsy

Bugsy Regular Member

Frankly, they were quite evenly matched, LCW has improved on his net play not as many half court returns for LD to kill.
    However, he went for too many cross court net returns, LD can read that already (i.e. the matchpoint winner) after 1-2 times, should have played like end of the 1st set, and most of 2nd set in which he gave LD a hard time with spinning straight (not cross court) net shots, forcing LD to lift more.Sometimes you get lucky in your netshots, which he did get a few. Going cross-court netshots against players like LD is too risky because he is so quick to pounce.
    He was also putting pressure on LD with shooting lobs to his backhand, LD was scrambling to cover space with his overhead, opening up room for LCW to attack, wonder why he didn't do that more often in the rubber.
    The other thing is his bad judgement of a few baseline shots in which he erroneously let go when it landed clearly in.
    Perhaps it sent a message to LD that LCW's confidence is dropping and it happened at such crucial time, end of rubber set..Mentally LD was winning, that's why he romped home scoring 6 successive points.

11. undeadshot

undeadshot Regular Member

LD can read some part of LCW's game and intercepts with a powerful smash, making it almost impossible to return even with a quick reaction speed. LCW doesn't have that dimension in his game yet.

12. alexyong

alexyong Regular Member

Because LCW do not have that kind of aura like LD, in Chinese we call it 霸气.

李终委 will forever be inferior to LD.

13. shooting stroke

shooting stroke Regular Member

Professional / Badminton Coach
    The margin between defeat and success is small.

I might would agree if the question from this thread been asked 5 years ago, however, regardless how far the head to head victory of LD against Datuk LCW now, their recent meetings has been more interesting than before since there is very little to seperate between them and eventhough a defeat will still be a defeat, its not an easy win anymore for LD against Datuk LCW since the margin between sucess and defeat is small when they are lock horns and this what happened in the recently concluded Korea Open 2011. Therefore, Datuk LCW is no inferior by any measurements as far as he is fighting LD is concern since he has the qualities to beat him with the similar probability of chances as what LD has now.

14. visor

visor Regular Member

shooting stroke,
    agree with you
    and the small difference is in the head... literally!

15. soami

soami Regular Member

LCW should have won the first game..he had four set points but couldnt close the game..Thats mental weakness according to me...
    Third game..all level and the LCW makes horrendous mistakes at times to give away the match..mental weakness again...
    The matches are getting closer..LCW is getting better and LD worse...
    LCW needs to play at full strngth from point 1 and stay ahead throughout to be able to beat LD....he needs to make sure that he does not get himself into a pressure cooker situation..
    The last word has not been written though i think...

16. Bbn

Bbn Regular Member

Did you watch the game? Most mistakes were caused by the draught in the hall, and both made mistakes.

17. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    this is out of world
    when did lcw had 4 set point in 1st set?
    are we talking the same match?
    lcw only get 19 points in 1st set,lol

as for the mistake,yeah,lcw did 15 of it in 1st set
    try to count urself

18. Wong8Egg

Wong8Egg Regular Member

Skill wise, yes. Mentally, no.

LCW crumble under pressure at crucial moment, but LD can still deliver. LCW was able to keep up with LD on 1st and 3rd game neck to neck. But he lost out quickly at the last few points when he became nervous while LD was able to push further and seal the deal.

19. shooting stroke

shooting stroke Regular Member

Professional / Badminton Coach
    If we analyse restropectively the recent scoring history especially PSSKO 2011 between LD and DLW, even after playing more than a hour and especially in the 3rd set, the world still have no clue who will win as the course of the match can go either to any one of them.

At this highest level of badminton gameplay, any small mistakes can severely distinguish between victory and defeat instantly and when the match points nearing to 21, the aura surrounding how they play dramatically becomes so tense and at this stage, it is criitically important for one to compose and bond his thought clearly in order to have a strong state of mental. By able to maintain at this state, even confronting an overwhelming pressure and tense, the process of translating at the fullest level of confidence the strategy in mind into applied winning tactics will be more coherent.

This quality that Datuk LCW needs to improve more when battling LD and no doubt, LD has the slight mental edge when meeting DLCW when the stakes is high. This was why DLCW lost to LD recently as when the score critically tied 15-15, LD sudden injection of paste change the course of the game instantly favouring him by taking 6 straight point making him a winner.

20. pBmMalaysia

badminton coach
    ...and imagine that somebody still call lcw 'inferior' :eek:

Btw, where the the thread starter?

Another troll?

Create this thread so that others create drama and he sits down and watch :D