What line of Yonex shoes should I even be looking at?

Discussion in 'Clothing & Footwear' started by Charlie-SWUK, Sep 18, 2015.

1. Charlie-SWUK

Charlie-SWUK Regular Member

N90 sycophant
    So, as might be evident by my previous posts, I did not get on well with the SC6, or the SC2 I had before that - for different reasons.

I'm currently using Li Ning Metal X shoes, but I realize that I'll need a new pair of shoes in a few months again, and Li Ning products aren't /that/ available here.

I am finding that I really enjoy having a nice flexible shoe without too much to the sole - it makes it easier for me to move. I found many of the Yonex shoes were very stiff, and I had issues putting my weight on the balls of my feet. I also noticed that the heel felt very thick on them, making it feel like the shoe was almost absorbing the power I was putting into movements. At the same time, I would like something that'll give me good ankle support given my recent injuries.

I was considering a pair of SBH01, 02, F1, or Aerus as my next shoes in December/January. I'm also wondering how the 92's perform.

Does anyone have more information on these shoes?

2. HanBaddy

HanBaddy Regular Member

I have also used the SC2 and SC6 recently, and can confirm the thickness in the heel area. I welcome this, because it helps absorb additional shock that would otherwise transfer to the knees. If you're looking for more flex in the sole, I would recommend the F1 Neo, as their lightness and mobility is just as advertised.

However, it probably won't feel as rigid or "stiff" as the 01 and 02 shoes that are designed for stability. I have also used the 01, but the 02 comes with higher ankle support and overall better padding.

So maybe try the 02 to protect your ankles, and if it's too stiff then go for the F1 Neo.

3. Charlie-SWUK

N90 sycophant
    Tricky, I'll see if I can try a pair of the 02 when my Metal X shoes are ruined.

4. HanBaddy

HanBaddy Regular Member

Go for the MX version if you can. You probably noticed that quattro fit runs pretty tight, and the LTD/EX versions make it worse (narrow). Rolled over my ankle off a FH block jump to the rear court.

My next pair will probably be the 'all-round' 87's, got a little bit of everything.

5. Charlie-SWUK

N90 sycophant
  6. HanBaddy

HanBaddy Regular Member

Yup, for Yonex, the Men's (MX) models tend to be slightly wider or roomier than the Unisex (EX) and Limited (LTD) models, and definitely more than the Ladies (LX) ones. Having a wide enough base is important for me, so I won't roll over my ankles.

I should also mention that it's very easy to get on my toes/balls of my feet when wearing my 01's, as the heel section feels elevated and bouncy. Hopefully they've retained that effect in the 02's. I just wish they did a better job with the color scheme...

7. visor

visor Regular Member

If you're wanting minimal sole cushion because you want to be closer to the ground (assuming closer would help prevent further ankle inversion injuries), then I'd highly recommend the Victor SHP9100.

Light, fast, and good ankle support. But be warned that the thin sole means less cushioning... which means it's best used on mats, don't even think about playing on hard flooring with them.

#7 visor, Sep 21, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2015
  8. Charlie-SWUK

N90 sycophant
    There's that, but I'm also much, much faster when I'm lower to the ground. I find it harder to generate power or speed in shoes with too deep of a heel.

I use my Metal X shoes on a completely solid floor, no spring board, no mats.

Thanks for the advice HanBaddy, I'll check them out. I likely won't be too heavy on the badminton until December/January now.

9. HanBaddy

HanBaddy Regular Member

You're welcome Charlie! Let me know how they feel when you get them.

10. Charlie-SWUK

N90 sycophant
    So, I've got a pair ordered to my local store (SHB 02 MX) in an 8.5.

The length and width of the shoe, but the ankle feels a bit loose. There's enough gap for me to get a finger on either side of my ankle in this shoe.

Is there a way to address this? Other than that, these seem to be an ideal progression. The shape of the sole fits my foot well, doesn't rub, and it doesn't feel like the shoe is soaking up pressure. The rest of the fit is fine, just the ankle I'm worried about.

11. gundamzaku

gundamzaku Regular Member

working professional
    i bought a pair of these yesterday and used it in a short 1hr session just playing casual games. i find the lockdown to be the biggest improvement compared to shb01 because of the fact that the laces aren't tightened at the top of your feet, but a little to the side like the newer soccer shoes. the soles are not as thick as the shb sc4, yet it still provide enough cushion for support and comfort. also, the cushion around the back heel area is not as high as the sc4 so it allows your to get lower toward the ground without hinderance. hope this helps.

12. Charlie-SWUK

N90 sycophant
    I'll be buying the SHB 02 MX in a couple of weeks. My Li Ning Metal X shoes are coming to the end of their life cycle now that I'm starting to tear the fabric on them. Thanks [MENTION=39250]gundamzaku[/MENTION] for your input! I really don't know why the SC6 tore my feet up like they did. It was very, very painful.