Saina Nehwal

Discussion in 'India Professional Players' started by saina fan, May 29, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

I should have realised by the name 'Michaela' that the service judge is a lady but I wasn't sure until I watched the video again - anyway, no issue.

So we're agreed she is not the authority from BWF to say the last word on the matter but merely expressing her own views as a Badzine columnist? And anybody,including you and me, can answer from the umpire's perspective but not speak on his behalf unless told to do so; no problem with that, I believe.

Coming back to your view, how do you tell 'SHE NEVER SLIPPED', from watching it on TV? A slip doesn't necessarily always lead to a fall, we often slip and quickly regain our balance. It can be so imperceptible and yet hurtful esp when she was lifting off with her left leg, so the impact and twist could have caused the damage.

Let's hear from Wang Xin herself.http://sports.qq.com/a/20121107/000480.htm I'll just translate as best I could the relevant parts:
    铜牌[FONT=&amp]战面对[/FONT]印度[FONT=&amp]劲敌 [/FONT]内瓦尔[FONT=&amp],汪鑫首局一路领先。在比赛过程中,她数次向裁判表示场地上有汗水,希望能擦一下,但裁判不予理睬。20比18,汪鑫跳起落地后被汗水滑倒,扭伤了左膝。经过紧急处理后,她重新上场。带着受伤的腿,她高高跃起扣杀得分,拿下了首局。第二局,汪鑫在完成第一球后,再也无法坚持,向裁判员示意退赛。[/FONT][FONT=&amp]离场之际,内维尔走到跟前,两人轻轻拥抱的场景让全场观众动容。但这样的温情丝毫不能缓解汪鑫身上的疼痛,也不能去除心里的委屈。“我不知道裁判当时是什么心理,我大概提出三次擦地请求他都没有同意,他甚至都不允许我自己去蹭一下。现在的规则确实也比较严格,如果不服从他的安排,他就会掏牌,没有办法的时候就只能继续比赛。”

[In the Bronze medal match facing Saina Nehwal,in the opening set Wang Xin was leading most of the way.During the game,she indicated to the umpire several times there was sweat on the floor and hoped to have it mopped but the umpire ignored her requests. At 20-18, Wang Xin slipped on the sweat as she lifted off, spraining her left knee....

Before leaving the court, Saina walked towards her, the two lightly embraced, it was a scene that moved everyone present...."I don't know what the umpire was thinking then,I requested about three times to mop the floor but he refused, he even didn't allow me to wipe it myself. The rules nowadays are indeed very strict, if you don't obey him,he will show the(yellow) card, there's nothing you can do about it but to carry on the competition." (End of translation).

Btw, how do you tell whether there is sweat(the colour?) on the floor a few metres away on site? And what's the big deal to have it mopped at 18-12 when she made the request when the last time it was mopped was during the mid-game interval?

I sense that some of you are reading too much into my post. I'm sure we can discuss it disinterestedly. Shouldn't it be in Wang Xin's thread in the first place? Never mind, I prefer to end it here.

What's of major concern to me now is whether Wang Xin is able to resume competitive badminton, not to say if she can be back to her best which she herself is aware is doubtful.[/FONT]

2. rogerv2

rogerv2 Regular Member

I just saw the 20-18 point again a few times and also the slow motion. There is definitely not a hint of a slip there. :confused::confused:

I think everyone can make their own conclusion about this.

3. vixter

vixter Regular Member

The court of WX had just been mopped at scoreline 16-20.

So WX (or maybe just the media/journalists?) seems to blame her injury on the condition of the court and the denied mopping request. But one must admit its pretty obvious she had a lingering injury coming out either way.

#1223 vixter, Dec 2, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2012
  4. yamsyams

yamsyams Regular Member

I don't think she had a lingering injury because she moved around quite effectively for the most of G1, I think the point where she slipped was on 20-15, where she was lunging to her right to retrieve SN's drop. At about 24:55 in the bronze match video, you can tell that her left leg slipped while pushing off, and it's probably the pushing off on her left leg at 20-17 that aggravated the injury. However, from the video it can't be seen whether she's asked the umpire to have the floor wiped before 20-15, maybe someone who was there can comment on that?

5. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
    The floor was mopped at 16-20 at 25.18 (overhead camera) after the slow mo of that point.

6. scorpion1

scorpion1 Regular Member

Exciting one
    Yeah.. It is clearly visible at the point 16-20, court was mopped . Umpire has accepted her request for mopping of the court.:)

7. yamsyams

yamsyams Regular Member

You are missing the point. I'm saying that she slipped (and injured herself) during the point 20-15, which is BEFORE the floor was mopped at 20-16. She did NOT slip (visibly, at least) at point 20-17, but pushing off with her ALREADY injured leg MAY have aggravated the injury.

What I want to know, if anyone was there and had seen the match, is if she asked the umpire to have the floor mopped BEFORE 20-15 was played, and whether the umpire had denied the request.

8. scorpion1

scorpion1 Regular Member

Exciting one
    I have watched the video 10 times. Even after 15 th point of saina, i have clearly watched xin did not fall at all. After saina's 16th point, court was mopped on request. Then two points were taken by saina. At 18-20, xin fell down(not because of slippery, but because of her aggravated injury from her previous semifinal encouter against li xuerui). After bandaging her knew, she came back and took the point to finish the game 1. At 29.49, she is asking the umpire whether the court was mopped .. He should have said yes, thats why she nodded her head as 'ok'. Because after the end of every game, court will be mopped.
    So, there is no point of referee's refusal talk !!!.. End of discussion. :)

Whatever happened, it happened. So, lets pray to god for xin's quick recovery. Thats our priority.:)

9. yamsyams

yamsyams Regular Member

If that's your view, I guess we'd have to agree to disagree on this. When I watched the video, it seems like her left leg slipped, though as you said, she did not fall.

This is news to me. Where have you read that she sustained an injury during her SF?

Agreed :)

Edit: If it wasn't clear, I am NOT blaming the referee because from the video, we can't tell if WX requested for a floor mop before she slipped at 20-15 (my opinion from the video); and if she did, whether the umpire refused that request.

#1229 yamsyams, Dec 4, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2012
  10. scorpion1

scorpion1 Regular Member

Exciting one
    Exclusive interview of Saina nehwal to The Hindu before she left to participate in the superseries finals .

"http://www.thehindu.com/sport/other-sports/saina-upbeat-ahead-of-super-series/article4188466.ece"

EXCERPTS:

"Definitely, the pressure is not there now was it was the case earlier when there was a feeling that I should take part in every tournament and look to win. Things have changed for the good and I am in a position to actually choose the events on the advice of Gopi Sir,”

Saina insists that no one is unbeatable in contemporary badminton. “It all depends on how well you get things right on the given day. The most demanding aspect is that you have to maintain very high levels of fitness,” she pointed out.

For his part, national coach Gopi Chand points out that it will be a tough Super Series finals given the fact that the top eight in the world will be competing. “But again, there is a sea change in Saina’s attitude towards the game now. The body language says it all. She is definitely a class above the rest. Her strokes are much sharper and more confident,” Gopi explained.

All the very best saina.. Come home with the title..:)

11. scorpion1

scorpion1 Regular Member

Exciting one
    I think saina nehwal need to take a break and come back with her knee problem cured.. Lee Chong wei already withdrew.. I think saina is struggling with her knee.. After a long gap, Tine has won saina ... This is a clear indication of her knee problem.

12. bad's fan

bad's fan Regular Member

your opinion is not same with her coach. which one to believe? just confused. :D

13. rogerv2

rogerv2 Regular Member

No. I think Tina just got her strategy and game right yesterday. Well there is still 2 more game to go, so dont worry yet.

14. scorpion1

scorpion1 Regular Member

Exciting one
    Saina suffered another defeat against Inthanon.. She need to take rest for a while and come back to the circuit after her knee treatment.. She should not aggravate her injury like this further..

15. yayachico

yayachico Regular Member

She might be taking it easy so not to aggravate her knee injury. Like LCW, she wouldnt want to pay the fine and therefore, came to this finals and take it easy to play. And also not taking away any credit from TR and IR, congrats to them!

16. scorpion1

scorpion1 Regular Member

Exciting one
    This is not her game at all :(. The way she lost to Tine and Inthanon, whom she defeated comfortably when she met them previously strictly indicates her knee condition(the points scored were not at all convincing). She does not play to her potential. She should have taken rest and paid the fine, after all USD 5250 is nothing for her:(. Coming here and losing is definitely not a right choice:(.

17. rogerv2

rogerv2 Regular Member

You must agree USD 5250 is a huge amount of money converted to Indian Rupees. A loss is not entirely a bad thing. She could be trying out new strategies and techniques against world class opponents.

18. scorpion1

scorpion1 Regular Member

Exciting one
    Really her loss hurts me...:(

19. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
    Not only you.

20. scorpion1

scorpion1 Regular Member

Exciting one
    Thanks for giving me hand...:)