What do you look for in a good stringer?

Discussion in 'Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools' started by Sgt_Strider, May 13, 2013.

1. riceman101

riceman101 Regular Member

Consistency would be key for me when looking for a stringer.
    Even if the string job comes out +/- 1lb, compared to a previous different stringer. If the stringer is able to produce the same string job as before, then atleast I would know what to ask for the next time to get it as close to my desired tension.

2. BRUCE LI

BRUCE LI New Member

Businessman
    Another requirement for a good stringer is he/she must actively playing badminton.

3. sautom88

sautom88 Regular Member

Agree, all good stringers play badminton regularly. Usually at least intermediate level, some even are really so good that they'll whip our asses.:crying:

4. eckonovember

eckonovember Regular Member

I'm still trying to find a good stringer that I can stick with but for my "requirements", it would have to be stringer that is willing to work with me. I've been to a couple of stringers where its the "What string and how many pounds?" treatment and I've also experienced a couple of "What string are you using? Do you like it? What's your playing style?" type of treatment. If the stringer is genuinely passionate about their job then it will show in the quality.

5. yan.v

yan.v Regular Member

USRSA MRT & Certification Tester
    Heh what's wrong with asking what string and what tension ? Unless the customer asks me for an advice, I usually let them choose what they want. Most people will react negatively if you question their choices. I love to discuss about string choices with customers, but I make sure they want to discuss it before doing it.

You're in BC, it's raining stringers over there. You should find a pro shop near you! Or why don't you string yourself if you have such high requirements ?

6. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    wow... tough customer. Not easy to please all I guess. lol. ;)

7. Steve the noob

Steve the noob Regular Member

My stringer asked some of those questions and recommended me a few strings, even though in the end I chose another one, I still learned something new about why he recommended those strings.

Anyways what I look for in a good stringer is someone who keeps a fair amount of communication throughout the process. I know some stringers that finish the job in 30 minutes and they recommend browsing the store in the rest of the time. Other's, since piled with many rackets, queue your racket and take about 1 day to complete, which isn't that big of a deal, as these stringers keep you informed about your racket. They usually tell when they start/finish, ask what colour string do you want (most stringers asked this one, but some don't specify), etc.

8. MjölnirSlinger

MjölnirSlinger Regular Member

Count me in too..

I went to a lot of stringers during my initial stage in this sport. My current stringer introduced Proportional-Stringing to me when no other stringers did. And he didn't even mention that term before stringing. He wasn't good with naming any specific method/technic but he really understands the fundamental aspects of any stringing methods implemented on his customers' racket. To conclude my post, he was a former state player (i was informed by his customers)

9. eckonovember

I'm sorry but when did I say that there was something wrong with asking what string and tension? I'm just describing my experiences with stringers. I'm not exactly sure either how you and extremenanopower conclude that I have such high requirements and a tough customer after stating that I'm looking for a stringer that is willing to work with me. I replied to this thread since it asked "What do you look for in a good stringer?"

I'm quite aware of the number of stringers over here which would add to the difficulty in finding a good stringer.

10. yan.v

yan.v Regular Member

This can be (and is) interpreted as "My requirements are pretty high so I can't find a good stringer".

As for the other questions, you're right you never said it was wrong. But the way you typed it made it look like it.

11. eckonovember

I can also interpret it as "I've found good stringers but I'd have to travel a considerable distance if I wanted them to string my racket on a regular basis". Before you establish your authority on interpretation, I suggest toning down your assumptions before punching on that keyboard.

12. yan.v

yan.v Regular Member

Not sure what is getting so angry buddy, but having your writings misinterpreted is something you have to face when you post on the internet.

I do not pretend having any authority, I was basing what I said on the fact that multiple people interpreted what you said the same way as I did. However, I am deeply sorry for not being able to read into your thoughts and understand exactly what you meant :)

13. eckonovember

I'm not so sure what makes you think I'm angry either. Coming from the same person who fires back with "what's wrong with asking what string and what tension ?" and basing an assumption on the "fact" that "multiple" people interpreted what I said the same way you did (I assume that by multiple you mean extremenanopowe), I am also deeply apologetic for your inability to grasp the concept of a subjective opinion.

14. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    Gentlemen, please..... :)

15. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    As for myself, I always want to know if he is Hashimoto... no, Hakamoto... no Harianto -someone help me here :crying: -certified. Or at least knows/practises that style of stringing.

16. visor

visor Regular Member

Haribito..... ;)

17. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    That's the one! :eek: Thanks! :) I've always wondered whats so special about the technique and why its preferred by some. Does it make a difference to the end-product?

18. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

No, not a jot. It's too far from the middle to make any real difference. I have heard some nonsense about reducing air resistance, but the cross in question has simply been moved downwards.

What it does do is leave bits of main exposed closer to the middle, so there's more chance of breakage...

19. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    Yeah. [MENTION=75572]yan.v[/MENTION] [MENTION=110300]eckonovember[/MENTION] maybe you want to kiss and make up. Or just move away from each other. Its not like you guys don't know the ropes. You can both choose to stop before it gets toxic and spoils an interesting topic. If it goes further, some action will be taken and likely neither will like it.

20. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Further off topic postings will be deleted.

Mod