Who is the greater player: Tine Baun or Camilla Martin?

Discussion in 'Denmark Professional Players' started by vixter, Mar 18, 2013.

1. vixter

vixter Regular Member

Not who was the better player but who has the greater accomplishments.

Camilla Martin:
    Olympic silver medal: Sydney 2000
    All England Champion 2002
    Gold Medal WC: 1999 Copenhagen
    3x European Champion 1996.1998.2000

Tine Baun:
    3x All England Champion: 2008.2010.2013
    2x European Champion: 2010,2012
    Bronze medal WC: 2010 Paris
    9 Super series titles: All England 2013, 2010, 2008 Denmark Super Series 2009, Korea Super Series 2009, Malaysia Super Series 2009, 2008 Singapore Super Series 2008, Japan Super Series 2007

Discuss

2. Higher

Higher Regular Member

How to compare who is greater player based on greater accomplishments, as at Camilla's time there were no Super Series titles to win?
    But you did not include some open-tournaments' achievements that Camilla achieved in her resume above, the Korea Open 2001, Danish Open 2001, Danmark Open 2002 to list some.

As their accomplishments are almost at the same rate, I would pick Camilla as a greater player than Tine based on their career overview (wins-loses, and the net balance, during their active playing-time).

For Tine:
    TINE.jpg
    http://www.tournamentsoftware.com/profile/overview.aspx?id=51BB0F6B-1D20-4A57-9DF1-92F958D9E47D

For Camila:
    CAMILLA.jpg
    http://www.tournamentsoftware.com/profile/overview.aspx?id=401AB254-55A6-4713-AB7B-7BFA155CD6E7

3. 2cents

2cents Regular Member

Landlording, providing vacation homes at Disney wo
    Camila is the better one.

Achievements wise, Camila got a WC title while Tine not yet. This is the most important. Camila also got a silver at Olympics, which also weighs a lot.

In women's singles, Chinese are dominant. Chinese players get their assignments to grab the titles in Olympics, World Championships, and then Uber cup, Sudirman cup. There's no assignment to China team for the super series including All England.

Camila managed to get 1 WC, and 1 silver at Olympics. That's something not easy for non-China team members. While super series titles are not valuable especial when it enters into garbage season.

Another thing, after Camila grabbed the WC, China team did everything in order to defeat Camila, the players chosen to the Olympic 2000, solely depended on one thing: the win-loss rate against Camila, nothing else! world ranking doesn't count either.

While Tine never has that honor, China team at most treated her as one of the competitors.

4. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    Camilla gets my vote.

in her time, there are (like today) many top level Chinese players. Despite that, Camilla was among the top and consistently trouble the Chinese. Tine too, but not to the same level of consistency.

5. vixter

vixter Regular Member

This is a good observation, of course. I chose to include Tine's super series titles since I felt her achievements lists needed a boost in order to compare with Camilla's, who I also agree has the bigger achievements.

I agree that the Olympic silver is what really weighs in Camilla's favour, and the fact that she also has a WC gold medal on top of that kills the discussion really. Camilla has the bigger achievements. But if you would take away Camilla's Olympic silver I feel that Tine has the bigger achievements thanks to her 3 All England titles.

That's cool, I didn't know that the China players selected for Olympics 2000 were especially selected for their success against Camilla. It's a shame that Camilla couldn't perform to her best level in the final.

Can anyone recommend some really good matches involving Camilla, that would be available for download?

6. **KZ**

**KZ** Regular Member

Student
    I read that ye zhaoying was called to give the match to gong zhichao cos she had a worse record against camilla...similar case when zhang ning bt zhou mi...which prompted ZM to quit china team

7. vixter

vixter Regular Member

If I was Zhou Mi I would have disobeyed order and given it my all to try to win the Olympic Gold... and THEN quit the team/get fired. :D

8. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    My vote goes to CM, mainly because I believe during her time, the competition in WS is higher especially from CHN and INA, with players such as Ye Zhaoying, GZC, Zhang Ning, Mia, etc. Even the lesser great such as ZM, Gong Ruina, XXF, etc are very top level performers.

Tina is also great, but most of her success come at the end of ZN and Mia (who actually doing more WD at the end, I believe?), and the new generation of CHN (WYH, WL, WSX, WX, etc) are either in-consistent or injury or both.

Both should be considered as great, but CM definitely has an edge, at least for now.

9. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    and don't forget Dai Yun.

10. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    Tine has served Denmark fantastically through career-threatening injuries, and has kept going for a long, long time, and carried the flag for Denmark in WS single-handedly. All through, she had to battle a bunch of top-drawer players from other countries, but mostly, of course, from China. Put one down, another three stand up in her place! :D Tine has been a class act all through.

Camilla Martin? An undeniable champion and world-class player, as good as any other ever! Her record against most of the top players of her time was either in her favour or even, with just a few exceptions. Through her career, she only allowed a handful of players to consistently get the better of her; GZC, DY, BSH, ... the only impossible blot on her record was her 11-0 h-h against Susi S. She traded honours with everyone else. There have been so many tournaments where she had to make her way through 3 Chinese opponents - and did.

Her negative record against TJH was at the beginning of her career. And she had a very impressive record against Gong Ruina, XXF and most of the other players. For some reason, she would more often than not slip against the Korean players - something to do with styles, maybe.

Camilla Martin and Gong Ruina are two of my all-time favourite WS players - both for the competitors as much as for the characters they were. To watch them play opposite each other was for me, like dying and going to heaven! *sighhhh*

11. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    I just came across this video on CM uploaded a year or so back. The event itself appears to have taken place some time in the last century. ;) :) It's an amazing video, with some really legendary people featuring in it! I don't understand a word spoken, and I truly wish some kind soul here would help with a brief translation. But even so, it's a very pleasurable experience just watching this upload. Enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UG5i-vi3Bs8