Muscle Power 99 or Arc Saber 10?

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by evilorgi, Mar 12, 2009.

1. evilorgi

evilorgi Regular Member

I am a high beginner/low intermediate player that mainly plays Doubles and occasionally singles. More keen towards smashing however play is a mix of clear, drops and smashes.

Currently i am using Sintec Nanotec 6000 (http://www.sportscity.com.sg/prod_detail.asp?PID=58&Cate_id=12) ; BG-66 @ 23lbs. I cannot seem to generate enough strength for my smashes and hit from baseline to baseline. I once used a friend's Muscle Poer 99 which i can do both mentioned with ease.

Back to the thread title, which of the racquets above will be better/suitable for me? I intend to string it with BG-80 @ 24lbs.

2. passtome

passtome Regular Member

my comment is no point,normal racket enough,more cheaper.if your skill good,any racket same thing also.for 2 this model u prefer,is very easy to crack,it happen a lot to my friends also.i know what are u thinking now,everybody also like branded,no point

3. ryim_

ryim_ Regular Member

Capital Market Research
    I've used both and prefer the MP99 but for me, i used the MP99 for much longer so my opinion is slightly biased.

4. evilorgi

evilorgi Regular Member

May i know why you prefer MP99 over Arc Saber 10? Easier to wield?

5. Danstevens

Danstevens Regular Member

Student
    If you enjoyed using the MP99, buy it. The Arc10 is a great racket but difficult to use and feels a little strange at first. As much as I love the Arc10, I can't recommend it to you because you like the MP99 and are only an intermediate.

6. evilorgi

evilorgi Regular Member

I see... I have read in other threads that one trains its playing style to suit a racquet, rather than the reverse. Somehow i just cannot perform with my current racquet so i am thinking of changing. Looks like i will need to change my own style as well.

7. ryim_

ryim_ Regular Member

Capital Market Research
    easier to wield...? you're making it sound like a lightsaber :p
    i find that i get more power and control from the MP99 but again, i haven't used the ARC10 enough to be able to have a perfect comparison. the reason could be because i simply haven't had time to fully adapt to the ARC10.

8. evilorgi

evilorgi Regular Member

I see. Thanks for sharing. I will read up more before making decision on which racquet to buy!

9. sunnyw

sunnyw New Member

2 racquets are completely different style, MP is head heavy, arc10 is balanced.....

I purchased an arc10 after my Ti3 cracked. With arc10, I feel I made less mistakes than when I had my Ti3, my friend told me it is to do with the bigger sweet spot that arc10 have.

10. Deathsticks

Deathsticks Regular Member

mp 99
    since you mostly play doubles
    i also have a mp 99 for doubles to :)

11. xiaoheng

xiaoheng Regular Member

i hav borh the racket... :) for MP 99 i use it for more than 5 yrs... lol all the long while stick to this racket cos is good... but u hav to get use to it 1st... and u hav the great control and also having good power on this racket... till i recently bought a arc 10 (abt 3 weeks ago) and play for 3 session.. the control is alot better than my mp99... with less str i can bring the bird to where i wan more easier... but as for smashing i still can't find the power to generate it fast enough...:( still working on it...:) both racket is for good all rounder... but if i will choose now i will choose Arc 10:D but for both need sometime to get use to it... no worry if u try it and can't do it well :)

12. evilorgi

evilorgi Regular Member

I see. Right now AS10 is selling for $260 compared to MP99 $180, both SP version. I think for a start, as a beginner/intermediate, i should go for the MP99 1st.

Plus i am more of a doubles player, at the level i am playing now, the difference in control between both rackets shouldnt be too obvious to me. THX!

13. ryim_

ryim_ Regular Member

Capital Market Research
    if you are thinking about long term...maybe you should get the arc10 because the mp99 has been discontinued. you can probably still find mp99s in the near future but arc10s will be around for a longer period of time.

14. weeyeh

weeyeh Regular Member

If you are struggling to clear baselines, you should be looking at a balanced racket (3U/4U (if slightly head heavy)) with some flex in the shaft. Both the MP99 and ARC10 are stiff although the ARC10 is said to feel flexible (probably due to the frame).

Try out as many racket as you can from the games you join and focus on clearing. Pay attention to the stiffness of the racket and the string tension. This will give you a good idea of what you want in your next racket.

IMHO, it is way better for you to use a cheaper (<S$100) racket and use the remaining money on experimenting with string tension than to go all out with an expensive racket. Basically get a racket that you will not be afraid to lose because accidents can happen when you play doubles and focus on your technique.

15. evilorgi

evilorgi Regular Member

To clarify here i am not exactly struggling to clear baseline, just that when i want to clear baseline, i need to focus alot of energy and power in doing so. I have not encounter that using MP99 previously.

And i already had a racket that is $100 odd, experimented with almost all series of the strings le. I feel that BG66 or BG80 is still the best suited for me.

I appreciate your advice here, i will keep it in mind! thanks!

16. evilorgi

evilorgi Regular Member

ya, MP99 is currently still in stock. Just hope that when i buy i dont get a bad copy. I think in the future there will be always new series coming up to replace arc saber too, no point keeping with the 'trend' thou.