1 Day 2 Rackets 2 new Ultimax strings Broken

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by slair76116, Oct 2, 2012.

1. slair76116

slair76116 Regular Member

Senior Flight Dispatcher
    Hey guys,

I bought my self 2 new VT ZF rackets and strung them with ultimax66 one at 26lbs and the other with 25lbs.

Both broke at the very same place slightly left of the center. Slightly below halfway point of the middle leagnth of the racket.

They are both new strings first time I played with them.

Am I hitting wrong? is the tension wrong? One of my friends said maybe my technique is wrong.

I feel the tension is fine very springy maybe I can go even higher. But dont want to brake a string every time I play.

2. maxout

maxout Regular Member

Change strings to BG80 ... thicker strings ... ;)

3. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

Given that they broke near the middle f the racket, they probably weren't mis-hits.

Trying leaving your rackets for 24 hrs after stringing before you use them - I play 30+ lb with plastic shuttles and I never break strings.

4. slair76116

Senior Flight Dispatcher
    they were left for 2 weeks

now my stringer called my saying he broke a u66 jp trying to string it at 25lbs :(

5. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

Hmm - now I suspect the machine and/or the stringer himself. Could be anything - sharp edge on a clamp, clamps too tight, miscalibration, string twisting...

Try a different stringer (if you can find one) and see how they compare. If Taufik can play this stuff at 36 lbs, it's definitely not the string's problem!

6. slair76116

Senior Flight Dispatcher
    Since the stringer broke one of my strings. Shoudl I pay him to string the other racket? I gave him both strings just asking him to string for me. This is a new guy for me.

2 days 3 strings expensive to me

7. gundamzaku

gundamzaku Regular Member

working professional
    if the stringer is the one who broke your string while stringing, he should replace the string. if he doesn't have this kind of guarantee, then go to a different stringer. 25lbs is nothing difficult even for me as a beginner stringer. i've strung up to 28lbs without any problems. if he/she is running into problems at 25lbs, then either he sucks, or he is not careful, which also means he suck. i suggest you go to someone else who is more experience and maybe drop by the stringer's place and watch him while he's working to see how much attention he/she pays to details.

8. KayakerSteve

KayakerSteve Regular Member

911 Dispatcher
    Was it mains or crosses that broke? Funny place for a clamp issue, but that would be my first thought. If it is a main string that is breaking maybe he is burning the strings while doing the crosses.

9. sanehouse

sanehouse Regular Member

Self Employed
    I strung my vtzf with bg66um at 26lbs digital . played 3 1 hr sessions with it. so far no problem, even with my other rackets that uses same string, some on 27 lbs. i think you might need to try another stringer .

10. Acumen

Acumen Regular Member

I used bg66 ultimax for all my racket at 25lbs. Seldom break string.

if broke also maybe after 2 months.

Surprisingly broke it the newly strung racket in 2 hours.

My case might be string quality issue or stringer issue I wont know.

As all my racket strung by same stringer but only one experience so far broke in one day after strung.

11. slair76116

Senior Flight Dispatcher
    ok here is the thing.

The 2 strings I broke while playing were strung in singapore by 2 different stringers. Both were U66 but bought from 2 different retailers

Both broke in similar places, like I said a little to the left of center line and below the midway line of the racket.

Both times it was the main string going head to base that broke. I actually wanted to string them with a higher tension as even 26lbs felt too springy for me. Like I felt the shuttle going in and a being a bit delayed before it went out. not like a direct bounce. I have a quick swing action.

Im in dubai and this stringer I took the rackets to be restrung obviously does suck. He told me it was the last step when he broke both my u66 and zmax.62. I'm not going to go to him again. I bought both strings from mybadmintonstore. now I only have one NBG98 left.

If I'm to go for anther string with high repulsion what should I go for? I liked the U66 and would hate to give it up. but I cant afford to replace the strings so often.

Anyway I think I will try again with the U66 at 26Lbs. If it breaks again in a day well I guess I'll have to change the string.

12. Ch1k0

Ch1k0 Regular Member

N/A
    You could try BG80 for a repulsion string. It's my go to string for my go to racket haha..my back up or doubles string is NBG99. Lovely control yet outputs some pretty decent power :D

13. sanehouse

sanehouse Regular Member

Self Employed
    I recently tried Victor NS660Ti, its a 0.66mm string.
    So far it gave me a similar feel to 66UM.
    I am trying out other options as well as its expensive to use 66UM and its abit hard to give it up.

14. nivla76

nivla76 Regular Member

Based on what you have described where the strings broke which were strung by 2 different stringers, it might be due to the stringing method used: industrial weaving(which means the strings are weaved onto the racket first then placed onto machine to tension), the tensioning process begins from right to left then bottom up, a common sign of industrial weaving is a large knot at the B8 tie-off and also a long knotting line which starts from B12 to the tie-off at B8. As the thin strings had made at least several passes from the right to left, the string which is thin by nature will tend to "peel", therefore resulting in the string snapping at the mentioned spot. Besides, possible string snapping, industrial weaving would also result to tension loss due to the friction caused by the cross strings while tensioning the mains. Hope this helps.

15. slair76116

Senior Flight Dispatcher
    So what should I do and where should I go get it done? In Singapore?

I'm planning another trip there soon.

Thanks it does help.