Does Ratchanok have the game to beat Wang Yihan?

Discussion in 'Thailand Professional Players' started by JustinG, Nov 3, 2013.

1. mrinalini

mrinalini Regular Member

Student
    Of course she'll beat WYH sooner or later; it's only a matter of time. Ratchanok's still young, still has room to improve (so does WYH, IMO, but to a lesser extent perhaps), and I foresee many more matches between these two so she'll have plenty of chances. Ratchanok doesn't seem to be a very strong player physically unlike WYH, and I think she'll have to work on that aspect to improve her odds against WYH. I must say that if you could combine the power and ranginess of WYH with the artistry and deception of IR, you'd have pretty much the perfect WS player. My, wouldn't that girl be a treat to watch! ;)

2. vixter

vixter Regular Member

I view Ratchanok as strong physically, surely for her age. She has great power and technique. I actually think her biggest problem is mental. She has had rather big problems closing sets and matches out. The prime example would be her Olympic QF against Wang Xin that really was Ratchanok's match to win, but she choked badly. Now it was her first Olympics and it's understandable, but I see this in almost every match she plays in the super series as well. I never feel sure of her win when she is leading 20-17 or 20-18. Many times I see her nerves preventing her from closing the set out. Latest example against Wang Shixian in French Open.

I am sure that she will get better with this soon though. And it happens. Even to the best.

3. sonnymak

sonnymak Regular Member

Guys what yall talkin about, the girl is a world champion at 18!!! beating Chinese Olympic Champ in China. LXR I consider better than WYH in techniques and gracile footwork. RI techniques is already very very polished and better than the current bacth of China WS. Only her pace and physicality lacking but only just. My advice to RI is that she should concentrate on sharpening her technique, strategies and yes mental fortitude. Playing and training like the supreme athlete like the Chinese will make her career short. To last long she should burn her candle slower and then intensify at 24 to 26 before going slow at 28 ++++.

poommin likes this.
  4. latecomer

latecomer Regular Member

selfemploy
    First, fancy techniques do not guarantee winning points. A lot of people beg to differ if you said RI's techniques are better than the current Chinese WS players. RI will be a very competitive player if she does everything right from now on. Since she hasn't done anything after winning the world cup, she is at best be #4 behind LXR, WYH and WSX. She will be slipping further if she still bathing in the glory of the world cup win. I hope RI not becoming another SN of India cause I am tired of watching CHN VS CHN in finals.

5. visor

visor Regular Member

^ You don't think she plays with deception and incredible racket skills? At least Gill Clark and her co-comentator think so. And many of us here on BC. At a tender age of 18, as long as she remains injury free, she can only improve significantly over the next few yrs. She hasn't peaked yet. ;)

poommin likes this.
  6. mrinalini

mrinalini Regular Member

Student
    I don't know if you're referring to my earlier post in which I said Ratchanok is perhaps not a very strong player physically, but I should have clarified what I meant - I don't think she lacks physical power when hitting her shots, but rather her physical fitness is in question. She always seems to be getting injured or carrying some sort of ailment, and I don't think her stamina is that strong that she can still be playing at a very fast pace at the end of gruelling matches. Frequently, she seems to have been run a bit ragged near the end and has trouble closing it out, which as you said, could also perhaps be a mental issue.

But whatever, she's only 18 and has already achieved the impossible - she has time on her side when it comes to getting stronger both physically and mentally. I do agree that getting sidetracked by off-court activities like Nehwal (who IMO is an inferior player and will never win a major tournament like the WC) would be a bad idea.

poommin likes this.
  7. scorpion1

scorpion1 Regular Member

Exciting one
    Oh.. oh... Nehwal is an inferior player?? Might have this obnoxious chinese fan got an opportunity to come out of burrows to chew something new apart from ... well.. you all know what that guy used to eat (hat or underwear ...:D)...

8. Qidong

Qidong Regular Member

Waiting to be out-sourced
    Before worrying about the #1 Chinese WS - YH, MI should also worry about the #3 Chinese WS - WSX. In the last 2 or 3 meetings, WSX totally dominated her. Their styles are about the same, but WSX seems to be better in almost every category.

9. vixter

vixter Regular Member

I don't think their styles are similar. RI is a much more naturally offensive player. She can smash and follow in for the kill. While WSX can be offensive with punch clears and drops, her smash seems somewhat robotic and forced. And if she gets a half-court lift or a net kill, hold your breath because she's likely to blow the opportunity and hit it into the net. I think WSX is a naturally defensive player but she has realized that in order to return to the top she must develop her offense and it's nice that she is getting good results again. She has amazing movement and precision in her game.

10. latecomer

latecomer Regular Member

selfemploy
    Moderator, it is about time to move this thread under RI thread.