Difference between Yonex Mavis 350 and 500

Discussion in 'Shuttlecock' started by gardkarlsen, Jun 16, 2008.

1. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    good eyes drift. of course there will be weight difference between green, blue and red mavis

2. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    OK, let us stick to the subject, this time on testing the speed in the courts of medium speed Mavis 350 and Mavis 500, each one tube. Surely with so many plastics players in Canada, someone can try this test. Cooler, perhaps?

3. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
    Ah, bring the samples to a feather shuttlecock factory and test them out.

4. twobeer

twobeer Regular Member

computer
    It would make more sense for them to start by brining out a good artifical shuttle with sufficient speeds for all venues, then get player acceptance for this shuttle, and after that if players and fans accept it, introduce it in real tournament play.

Approving low quality stuff just to try to push development, is in my view not the right thing to do.

/Twobeer

5. cooler

cooler Regular Member

it's good much for millions of players already.

6. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surely you could remember things i've said only 11 days ago.:rolleyes: I guess anything that don't conform with your mindset are disposable.

"From my plastic experience, testing new mavis 300/350/370/500 can easily fall within 6-8” grouping. IE, mavis shuttle tolerance represents only 1.14% to 1.51% of court dimension, twice as good as feather in flight consistent quality."

post #181
    http://www.badmintoncentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=51066&page=19

#46 cooler, Jul 30, 2008
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2008
  7. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Lets us confine this to shuttle speed, specifically testing it on the courts now, instead of relying on "past experience" . Of course you need to find courts that have the two markings for shuttle speed testing.

8. cooler

cooler Regular Member

i play feather too, i know how to test shuttles and know where the shuttles suppose to land. I swing the racket the same way for all shuttle testings. The courts i play on are national tournament rated and they do have the correct speed range markings on each court. These courts are the same courts where KDM trains his players here. Doubting my testing ability and the court specs are just your ways to deflect my points about how close grouping of the new mavis shuttles. Mavis 300/350/370/500 should have similar grouping. If you have doubt, u should test mavis 300/350/370/500 YOURSELF, don't ask me to show my data and then doubt them.

#48 cooler, Jul 30, 2008
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2008
  9. twobeer

twobeer Regular Member

computer
    Sorry, but just as those set that comes with two rackets,net and plastic shuttles sold at the gas-station, the equipment does not get better for tournament use just beause they are sold in huge quantities..

/Twobeer

10. butch

butch Regular Member

To equate this 500 > 350 > 300 Eq. 1

That assumption would make the equation TRUE. I didnt make any actual measurements as what others have done but just tried to prove that Cooler and SH's statements "dont contradict."

11. silentheart

silentheart Regular Member

I can not contradict with Master Cooler's statement because I have med speed. Also, IMHO, the weight difference is not statistically significant between the model. However, I would like to point out the skirt design is different. Also, I want to measure if the balance point is the same because it will effect the flight path.

12. cooler

cooler Regular Member

u had claimed before that u r impartial on plastic players, and only discuss on the merit of each types of shuttles. Obviously this is not the case and the above proves that u r at the same level as taneepak. You two never provided any hard data to support your case, just one sided talk. Your best effort was an analogy of rubber boot versus track shoes....just great:rolleyes:

It is amazing some feather proponents, who lack knowledge about nylon shuttles, come to this 'mavis 350 vs 500' thread to debate about nylon shuttles, and try to steer on topic posters to go off topic. :rolleyes:

#52 cooler, Jul 31, 2008
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2008
  13. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Of the slow (green) grade, the weight difference is even more pronounce.
    I have a tube of slow mavis 300 that weighs in ~ 4.78 to 4.86 g range. That is another reason why i prefer 300 over 350/500, 300 tend to fly slower than 350/500 in my area. Disregarding the weight, the 500 does feel heavier on impact.

#53 cooler, Jul 31, 2008
  14. twobeer

twobeer Regular Member

computer
    I have never claimed to be impartial, I think.. I do not however look down on badminton players using mavis shuttles, or playing badminton on the lawn in the backyard.

And what exactly has I written that leads you to beleive I think some people who use plastic Mavis shuttle or buy badminton-sets at the gas station can't be highly skilled players??

You start in insulting tones, and ask for hard data supporting "my" "case" ??
    I don't have a "case".. I am trying to give an honest opinion about the perforamnce of Mavis 500, 350 and 300 in this thread.

Obviously, you have a problem with people that don't find these shuttles to be the best thing since sliced bread.. But that's OK, everyone are free to use them if they like to play with them.. Their quality are just not accepted for international tournament play as of today.

By straying from the topic, and mocking my arguments (from other threads), becuse they don't match your view of the universe , is just a sure way to close down this thread as well ;)

How can you be so sure, that you have so much more knowledge about nylons and shuttles in general, than the rest of the members in this forum? And that your view must be more valid than someone elses?

/Twobeer

#54 twobeer, Jul 31, 2008
  15. twobeer

twobeer Regular Member

computer
    All great and valid points.. It is actually interesting. I've seen some yonex brochures having graphs of the flight path of the 500 compared to "other plastics" showing that it should have a more steep trajectory. However when I tried it it dind't feel much different, just slightly faster (both being medium)..

Mavis 350 yellow and Mavis 500 below..

/Twobeer

Attached Files:

16. twobeer

twobeer Regular Member

computer
    Yes :-D

The thing I though was questionable is that SH had:

avg Medium M300 = 5.05g
    avg Medium M350 = 5.07g
    avg Medium M500 = 5.10g

and

cooler ( http://www.badmintoncentral.com/forums/showpost.php?p=491017&postcount=5 )
    avg Slow M300 = 4.85g
    avg SLOW M350 = 5.00g

thus giving a 0.20g difference between a slow 300 and a medium 300, and only 0.07g diff between avg of slow and medium 350.. I would expect the difference to be about 0.2 between the slow mavis 350 and medium version..

looking at the small difference in weight on medium 350,300 and 500, one would expectect small difference in weight on the slow versions as well (if they are consistent)..

thats what I felt was odd.. Maybe I was not clear :)

/Twobeer

17. phandrew

phandrew Regular Member

Racquet breaker
    Which shuttlecock use cork for the head and which one uses plastic rubber for the head?

They probably used a cork head on plastic to get a similar feeling as a feather.

18. cooler

cooler Regular Member

as stated by SH, skirt design difference plays a greater role in speed than just pure weight difference vs speed correlation like in feather. Since SH sourced his mavis shuttles from the same supplier and likely from the same time period, his statistic would serves as a better comparsion. Their weight difference is small but they are trending in direction as i have first stated, M500 feels heavier.

My source of mavis is different, i buy from different club players who have bought them in bulk, M300 and M350 likely not made in the same year let alone same batch. Who know how long they were stored, ie plastic is more complicated than u think. However or whatever these nick picking difference, even my weight statistic from different sources still lead to the same conclusion on weight of mavis product line. I don't have sufficient M500 around to show any conclusive data. They feel heavy and pricey so i dont have too many of them around. There are reason for this weight difference but i will hold this info morsel in my sleeve. U can say cooler is full of crap and bluffing. It's your call.

#58 cooler, Jul 31, 2008
  19. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Why do you spend so much time and effort to weigh different brands and speeds of Mavis shuttles and not test them for the more meaningful speed test on the courts? Just select Mavis tube each of slow Mavis 300, 350, 370, and 500 and test them for the more meaningful speed on the courts in Cooler's city. Silentheart can repeat the test with medium speed Mavis and get a player who can hit consistently to do the test.
    At least Cooler can have bragging rights that all slow Mavis 300, 350, 370, and 500 passed the court speed test in his city.

20. silentheart

silentheart Regular Member

And your point is?