2013 Badminton Asia Championships (16th-21st April, Taipei)

Discussion in '2013 Tournaments' started by CLELY, Feb 4, 2013.

1. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Oh, you mean your post above isn't specifically about Lin Dan? That your first paragraph highlighted above stands alone,separate and to be delinked from the rest of the post? I wonder how many readers see it that way.

Then you not only call for Lin Dan's retirement but forewarn that "by continuing this way", he will end up being remembered for the "shadow he will inevitably become", including walking away "when they could with their dignity intact" - sorry,have I misread you? Perhaps I read too much into your posts, I beg your pardon then.

Conceding a walkover is to you not a minor but a major issue, one that calls into question the doer's integrity, whatever the reason injury or not, and can even bring discredit to a player's achievement. Hmm, the list of players who conceded walkovers is "out of context" because Lin Dan's a special case to be singled out?! A player has no right to decide for himself whether to play or not, he must play even at risk of injuring himself or aggravating his minor injury or even when he simply don't wish to as happened before to certain players?

And in all this, what role does BWF play? The onus is only on the player and/or the member association to be responsible for their actions, surely not. Of course not, BWF as the world governing body has the authority and is duty-bound to deal with any violation of the rules or wrongdoings committed and if they fail to do so, they stand guilty of connivance ,dereliction of duty and of complicity. That's the reason for my saying this topic of 'walkovers' is a distraction, as not within our ambit to tackle it.

Lastly, I'm indeed nobody to champion Lin Dan's cause or sing his praises which is why I quoted the pronouncements of his famous contemporaries, viz LHI, PG and LCW.

2. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Honestly, I would refrain from bringing in other players' walkovers/retirements for fear of leading the topic on and on needlessly and to no useful purpose, particularly when you've to deal with closed,sectarian minds,prejudices and bigotries.

It's advisable not to be the pot calling the kettle black and bear in mind that those who live in glass houses should not throw stones.

3. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    Exactly. If you had cared to read the continuity of posts, you would have realised that it was a response to the post by renbo. Maybe you were too busy...

Correct. Read above. Continuing this way, means you will need to read post #589 for further amplification. You haven't "misread" me. You just haven't read me completely at all. But that's quite all right. No one has the time to go through interminable phrases and lectures. Right?

In your frantic attempt to find me out, you're as usual, conveniently overlooking my other amplicifations such as in post #588. I had written in plain English and I'm sure it did not escape you, but just in case it did, here it is again:
    "My note about LD's retirement has nothing to do with the larger issue of the future of badminton. Walkovers, withdrawals, etc etc are the symptoms of a malady of incomplete vision, insufficient conviction and opportunistic action."
    Try not to misrepresent my sentences, please. You're doing it all too often.

Again, read post #588 and stop putting your foot in your mouth, Justin. You're actually more intelligent than that, but your ego won't let you stop. AMBIT??? EVERYTHING that has to do with badminton concerns us! If not, why are you here? Just to pass judgement or to browbeat other members whose ideas don't suit your agenda? Exactly what suggestions or positive constructs have you brought to the table of late? I really appreciate the efforts you have taken in the translations on many of the China players' threads, but apart from that, sadly, I cannot think of much else.

Let's get one thing straight. If someone were to ask another international player publicy what he/she thought about Lin Dan, what exactly would you expect that player to say??? So, constantly parroting what the other players have said really is a waste of time - we all know LD is a champion player- only you need to somehow remind yourself of that fact every now and then. In public. And at length.

The fact is, you are actually alarmed that someone has the nerve to suggest that LD retire. Don't worry, Justin. LD will retire when the energies in this universe want him to. Then, neither you nor I will be able to stop it. For his sake though, I hope it happens sooner than later. But you won't understand this. If you want to, though, feel free to ask.

4. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    Totally agree. And if I may add: it even includes using the "Like" button judiciously. But then again, that could just be me being pompous or over-critical...

5. V1lau

V1lau Regular Member

Net Play and Counter Attack
    The only real solution is for other countries to step up and make it less likely for Chinese players to meet in QF, SF, F, I thought we worked out this argument pre-Olympics.

6. badMania

badMania Regular Member

Like these sentences so much :)

Indeed....there's no need to constantly remind us (in various threads, various posts, at great lengths!) who Lin Dan is! We all know he's the only badminton player to have ever won 2 Olympics Gold Medals, several World Championships, All England titles, Asian Games Gold Medal, Sudirman & Thomas Cups, and other countless titles!

But that still doesn't hide the fact that he is the King of WOs! IMHO, I believe no other player has given or has received WOs from his fellow countrymen as many as our beloved Lin Dan is! limsy will gladly provide the data in this aspect and correct me if I am wrong!

As for withdrawals involving other countries, again, there are only few cases compared to that done (albeit legally) by the all-mighty and powerful China, helmed by the ever so great and intelligent Li Yongbo!

7. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    gentlemen. just a reminder.

keep the discussion going but keep it civil and nice, ok?

it is friday afterall and it is 5pm. i am getting outta here and going home.

have a wonderful weekend and look forward to the BAC semi/finals.

8. badMania

badMania Regular Member

Don't worry boss, we won't create trouble :) Anyway, there's cobalt to monitor this thread :p

9. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    Have a nice weekend! The last 2 days promise some cracking match-ups, and I'm really looking forward to them! :D

10. renbo

renbo Regular Member

The WZM - Du match is a revenge from the swiss open. It is a fight for the "second youth", after the king of the mountain CL.

11. badMania

badMania Regular Member

Fran Kurniawan/Shendy Puspa Irawati have a good chance of reaching another GPG Final. If they can do it, it means a small progress for this pair.

As for Gebby Ristiyani Imawan/Tiara Rosalia Nuraidah, they have exceeded every expectation and if they can force Ma Jin/Tang Jinhua to rubber-set, it will be a tremendous achievement!

12. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    u can write a phd thesis here
    but u cant denied lindan received and gave the most walkover in badminton history.;)
    this is fact while what u write is only personal opinion.

13. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    People, can we please move to the badminton now? Lets leave the w/o stats and the theses for other more relevant threads... :)

14. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    match starts in a few minutes?

15. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    matches in the morning are interesting:

Ko Sung Hyun / Kim Ha Na vs. Frans Kurniawan / Shendy Puspa Irawati
    Eriko Hirose vs. Wang Yihan
    Kim Ki Jung / Kim Sa Rang vs. Hiroyuki Endo / Kenichi Hayakawa

16. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    live scoring is on. love all, play.

any live stream?

17. badMania

badMania Regular Member

And regardless of how few those cases are, I believe most of us (as cobalt had written) deplore those actions equally, like what Saina Nehwal did in the first round of the India GPG!

Again, I would like to highlight the matches at the HKG SS 2007...in particular the SFs. On that day, the top 4 pairs in the XD were drawn against each other: Zheng Bo/Gao Ling [1] vs Xie Zhongbo/Zhang Yawen [3] and Nova Widianto/Liliyana Natsir [2] vs Flandy Limpele/Vita Marissa [4].

Me and huangkwokhau were there in the Queen Elizabeth Stadium, watching the matches live. Even before the SF started, we predicted that one of the CHN pair would withdraw. And that became a reality! The INA vs INA match took place right after the CHN vs CHN match. We thought it would be wise too for one of the INA pair to withdraw to conserve their energy for the Final. But the coaches decided to let them fight it out and what a match it was.....easily one of the best XD match I had ever watched in the last few years, with each pair refusing to give up! Nova/Butet eventually prevailed 21-19 in the rubber-set (I was actually rooting for Flandy/Vita on that day)!

Imagine our delight when Nova/Butet beat Zheng/Gao in the Final, despite the CHN pair being the more match fit.

[TABLE="class: ruler matches"]
    [TR="bgcolor: transparent"]
    [TD][/TD]
    [TD]Followed by[/TD]
    [TD]XD [/TD]
    [TD="align: right"][TABLE]
    [TD="align: right"]Bo ZHENG [1][/TD]
    [TD][​IMG][/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD="align: right"]Ling GAO[/TD]
    [TD][​IMG][/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]
    [/TD]
    [TD="align: center"]-
    [/TD]
    [TD][TABLE]
    [TD][​IMG][/TD]
    [TD]Zhongbo XIE [3]
    [/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TD][​IMG][/TD]
    [TD]Yawen ZHANG
    [/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]
    [/TD]
    [TD]Walkover[/TD]
    [TD][/TD]
    [TD][​IMG][/TD]
    [TD="align: right"][/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]

[/TD]
    [TD]8.[/TD]
    [TD]Followed by[/TD]
    [TD]XD [/TD]
    [TR]
    [TD="align: right"]Nova WIDIANTO [2][/TD]
    [TD][​IMG][/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD="align: right"]Liliyana NATSIR[/TD]
    [TD][​IMG][/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]
    [/TD]
    [TD="align: center"]-
    [/TD]
    [TD][TABLE]
    [TR]
    [TD][​IMG][/TD]
    [TD]Flandy LIMPELE [4][/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD][​IMG][/TD]
    [TD]Vita MARISSA[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]
    [/TD]
    [TD]22-20 13-21 21-19[/TD]
    [TD][​IMG][/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]

That was also the same day when Chen Jin gave a half-hearted display and retired in the second half at 6-11. No prize for guessing who he was playing against! Obviously, the crowds were upset!

Of course, those were not the only WOs and retirements during the tourney. There were some more, notably:

[TR]
    [TD="align: right"]8:15 PM[/TD]
    [TD]MD[/TD]
    [TD="align: right"]Haifeng FU [2][/TD]
    [TD][​IMG][/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD="align: right"]Yun CAI[/TD]
    [TD][​IMG][/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]
    [/TD]
    [TD="align: center"]-[/TD]
    [TD][TABLE]
    [TD][​IMG][/TD]
    [TD]Zhendong GUO[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TD][​IMG][/TD]
    [TD]Zhongbo XIE[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]
    [/TD]
    [TD]Walkover[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]

(Xie played in XD, the day after he and Guo conceded WO to Fu/Cai)

and one involving the host:

[TR]
    [TD="align: right"]3:00 PM
    [/TD]
    [TD]WS[/TD]
    [TD="align: right"]Mi ZHOU[/TD]
    [TD][​IMG][/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]
    [/TD]
    [TD="align: center"]-[/TD]
    [TD][TABLE]
    [TR]
    [TD][​IMG][/TD]
    [TD]Chen WANG [6][/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]
    [/TD]
    [TD]Walkover[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]

18. badMania

badMania Regular Member

OK...back to the match and Fran/Shendy are playing the first match!

19. badMania

badMania Regular Member

A slow start for the INA pair like yesterday......

20. badMania

badMania Regular Member

Good recovery, but Fran/Shendy are still trailing by 2 pts at the break: 9-11.