String with best Feel:

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by mr_flibbles, Jul 28, 2008.

1. mr_flibbles

mr_flibbles Regular Member

bum
    Just Asking as I am about to buy an AT800Def which i played with before an decided it had the best feel out of any racket i had tried. I have looked at Dink's stringing table and he says Yonex BG80 is the best out of the Yonex strings at least. The shop are only offering Yonex so it has to be a Yonex string I choose.

I have inquired about getting NBG98/95 string that Wingee currently do not offer but i hear its feel is quite numb as described in its review. I'd rather have a racket i can feel because my smash is accurate but not powerful. I also tend to mix up the play a lot with drop shots from the back of the court with placed smashes and low straight shots cross court and down the tram lines on both forehand and backhand.

What do you recommend from the Yonex strings? I don't really think there is a bad string that they do and I am not concerned over the cost.

Also if you can an appropriate tension with the string you recommend, I was going to go for 23-24Lbs BG80.

Thanyou.

2. phandrew

phandrew Regular Member

Racquet breaker
    If you want a hear feeling then go with BG80 and if you want a soft feeling go with BG65. As for tension we can't recommend one because it is different from person to person but if you get BG80 you have to string it 2lbs under normal tension. I have used NBG95 and NBG98 long enough to tell you that they do lack a bit of feeling but it is not like that there is no feeling at all.

3. mr_flibbles

bum
    How much tension i need with bg80? If i can i will get nbg95/98 but at the moment its not on the options. I ideally want the string with most repulsion but don't want it to fray after only a few hours. I have two rackets AT900T and NS9000X with NBG95 at 24lbs. I think there is some feel with the AT but not so much with the NS, i prefer the AT900T to the NS because it just seems to sound better and I can seem to feel the shot more.

Really tough to decide on the tension, I have tried 28 and that was really good until it snapped after 6 weeks, but that was only BG65 i think. I have used 26 but it doesant feel comfortable, i find that either very high or rather low tension is best for me. But I dont want to break this new racket having it at 28 or have strings fray and snap after only few weeks. Does the NBG have good durability at high tensions?

4. phandrew

phandrew Regular Member

Racquet breaker
    Then try BG80 at 22lbs. NBG series has excellent durability. NBG98 has better durability than BG66, BG80 and BG85. NBG95 is equal to BG70pro or BG65.

5. mr_flibbles

bum
    Whats the tension that rackets come off the shelf?

6. Athelete1234

Athelete1234 Regular Member

Student
    Factory string is very loose. Maybe only 19-20lbs.

Since you're coming from 24lbs on NBG95, I think BG80 at 24lbs won't be too much of a jump. Should feel marginally tighter, but not too much.

7. phandrew

phandrew Regular Member

Racquet breaker
    22-23lbs for BG80 should be the same for NBG95 at 25lbs

8. mr_flibbles

bum
    so why is BG80 feel tighter than NBG95? it said that BG80 has more feel so i thought that meant looser? So i take it you get quite a lot of 'ping' from the BG80 even at lower tensions?

So if i had BG80 at say 25Lbs it would feel really tight in my hand. I thought you would feel the shuttle a lot better at lower tensions. Is BG80 durable at 25Lbs though?

9. Athelete1234

Athelete1234 Regular Member

Student
    BG80 is very stiff. It's not like bg65 which would flex more. So cause of this, bg80 would feel stiffer than another string at the same tension.

Like I posted above, going up 1lb with bg80 doesn't make sense cause it's almost like going 3lbs. Unless you've always had the potential to make big jumps in tension and play with tighter strings, it's gonna cause problems.

As before, 24lbs with bg80 is best if you came from another string at 24lbs.

10. phandrew

phandrew Regular Member

Racquet breaker
    just string BG80 at 22-23lbs and go from there.

11. jhirata

jhirata Regular Member

BG80 and BG85 both feel tighter than nbg95 because of the vectran material in the strings. They perform and feel 10% tighter than normal strings ( ie: bg65 ).

12. sifuyono

sifuyono Regular Member

Follow me on Twitter: @sifuyono
    i think it's not about vectran, it is relatif tighter because its diameter

13. jhirata

jhirata Regular Member

The Auspic ( prototype ) strings I have on my racquet at 26*28.6lbs ( 0.66mm ) don't feel 'tighter' or 'stiffer', but they're just very repulsive. Even though it's really thin, the feeling upon impact was rather 'soft', or maybe that was because the shuttle bounced away from the strings instantly due to its repulsiveness.

It also states on the packet of those strings with vectran ( bg 85, bg 80 ) that they should be strung at a tension 10% lower than usual to get the same 'feeling', but it does not say so on the packs of bg6, bg66 and nbg98 ( all 0.66mm ) .

14. phandrew

phandrew Regular Member

Racquet breaker
    BG6, BG66 and NBG98 don't have vectran.

15. mr_flibbles

bum
    Ok I now found another place to buy AT800def

http://www.mybadmintonstore.com/shop/shopping_cart.php?manufacturers_id=11

Quoted price of $203 seems a lot higher than wingee or puppysports but it looks like the payment transaction will be fast and painless. This site offer paypal/switch but the others do not seem to accept switch and they only accept visa/mastercard which i dont like to use.

Also from this new site They offer NBG98, I don't know a lot about this string but it must be the best as its the most expensive.

I have sent Wingee and Puppysports an email but they are pretty slow to respond. basically the only problem is the payment method. Its almost $50 more to pay if i buy from mybadmintonstore.com.

What do you all think? I see a few people have Paid $200+ for this racket in the past, am I getting ripped off here or is $200 a good deal?

16. Matt

Matt Regular Member

IT Developer
    I used NGB98 (I have the 200m reel). It's very repulsive!!

Abou the string, BG-80 would be tighter than NGB95 because BG-80 is 0.68mm, while NGB95 is 0.69mm. NGB98 kicks NGB95!!

17. jhirata

jhirata Regular Member

Yup, thanks, i forgot to mention that earlier.

vectran fibres make the strings feel stiffer/tighter by 10%, where as other strings such as bg65, bg66, nbg95, etc don't have it, and thus they don't feel as stiff as them at the same tension.

it is relatively true however that thinner strings do feel a little bit stiffer.

imagine a 0.66mm string with vectran fibres in it :D..

18. phandrew

phandrew Regular Member

Racquet breaker
    BG65Ti also has a hard feeling but it doesn't have vectran in it so it is hard to explain why BG65Ti has a hard feel. Does anybody know why BG65Ti has a hard feeling?

19. phandrew

phandrew Regular Member

Racquet breaker
    The only thing NBG98 doesn't kick NBG95 in is the price and durability. Everything else NBG98 kicks it by far.

20. mr_flibbles

bum
    I was just playing today with my AT900T which has NBG95 at 24Lbs and it felt really good. Great feel on the shot and plenty of power, It seems to have taken a while to get this feel from the racket, it felt sort of just numb all together in the beginning.

it looks like i will try out this new NGB98 though with the AT800D, is the N98 stiffer string so shall i go for 23 Lbs to compensate or stay at 24?