Which coach to CHOOSE?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by RoBBoGaL, Sep 14, 2011.

1. RoBBoGaL

RoBBoGaL Regular Member

none
    Hi,

I m interested to take up badminton as hobby. However, to start and play a decent game, I need a coach to teach me the CORRECT basic steps. I feel that its important to get basic right before going into advance strokes like drop shot, backhand etc.

I had check with some of the coaches here as well as some outsource, their rates are from $30 to $130 per hour for 1-1 coaching. OMG! I get confuse by the differences of the rates. Do they charge according to their coaching experiences, how well they play (trophies they had won), how fantastic/thoroughgoing they can teach or "how much they think they worth"?

Can someone here enlighten me what should I look into? I dont know how to pick :crying: Or anyone have good coach that you highly recommend?

I dont mind training with other beginners (Adults) as well. We can form a group:)
    Can PM me or sms @98073090. Thanks.

2. raymond

raymond Regular Member

Top Secret
    I'd suggest you ask for auditing some of the coaches lessons with other beginners and more advanced players. Ask for players that have been playing for a while, and possibly competing, and see what they think (in other words, check for reference). Ask if he has group classes, and audit that too. Talk to more people from the class, presumably those have been with him for at least 6-12 months or longer, and see if they think they're learning anything, and how they like the coach (e.g. patience, able to communicate well, focus, care about student's progress etc). Check if the coach himself has any tournament achievement. This could determine his skill level. Check his students (reference) would verify his skill as a teacher. The rest for you may be gut-feeling. Try a lesson, and see if/how you like it.

Perhaps in the beginning, you don't really need the most expensive coach.

3. urameatball

urameatball Regular Member

Photographer
    choose the cheapest coach if you're a beginner.
    you don't need a champion race-car drive to teach you to drive... you don't need a award winning badminton coach to teach you to hold a racket.
    Move on to better coaches as you progress... and the best part about this method is that as you progress, you'll have better knowledge of the badminton community and better knowledge of who the better coaches are.

4. raymond

raymond Regular Member

Top Secret
    Price is not the only consideration here. You don't want someone to teach you the wrong techniques. So need to check.

5. Mikael

Mikael Regular Member

Business
    Why dont you start in club? I dont get it, I mean you are a beginner and you just want to play as a hobby. Perhaps go to the club chat with the players, and some of them might help you get started, you dont need a coach for that. And yes you might not learn the perfect way, but it does not really matter... The most important is to learn the fun of the game and coordination.

If you insist on finding a personal coach, go and watch the coach in action, have a chat with the person, you must feel trust with the person and that you can understand this coach's specific teaching style, explanations etc. must make sense for you. Yes experience coaches are better, foremost at seeing things, but as mentioned you dont need that...

#5 Mikael, Sep 16, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2011
  6. sautom88

sautom88 Regular Member

The key to choose the coach is how dedicated is he to the game n how much time he is willing to spend to train u. Not how many trophies he already won or how many students he has in his training session. Good players does not necessarily mean they will be good coaches; they sure know how to play well but do they teach well?
    If possible audition/attend their classes 1st.

I was so lucky to have a free personal coach who really motivated me to play better by improving my footwork and shots accuracy. He was my high school badminton coach who told me that I am short n don't have strong smashes. Cannot play doubles well w/o strong smashes. So he trained me so well in singles that in a year time; I gave an opponent 15-5,15-3 when 2 years ago he humiliated me 15-4, 15-1 (also in a school tournament).

I improved so much just doing what our SIFU Mr. Kwun says; FOOTWORK FOOTWORK FOOTWORK. Along that, also strengthen arm n wrist (also make sure that you grip correctly).
    Frankly speaking, w/ internet resources n some helpful experienced friends you can improve yr game reasonably w/o a coach (only for beginners/intermediates). Lots n lots of practice on basic shots like clear, drops, drives n smashes.

7. Mikael

Mikael Regular Member

Business
    - also these are good "coaches":

Technique DVD, Badminton England.

"Advanced badminton techniques" by Vip Malixi and Butch Oreta, a little old so take care:

http://www.badmintoncentral.com/for...Malixi-and-Butch-Oreta-s-book?highlight=vip_m

www.badmintobible.com - For you I think this one is suitable...

www.badmintoncentral.com , this forum, ask for feedbck :)

http://www.coachingbadminton.com/en/

Badmintonlife with Peter Rasmussen!

Lots of stuff on youtube.com, including Peter Gade: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJ6OUk1aiwg&feature=related
    Footwork (Little old and not so much about split step): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iSmflcwGfhI&feature=related.

Chinese stuff: http://www.badmintoncentral.com/forums/showthread.php/88718-30-Badminton-training-videos-(with-sub)-!-Coach-Zhao-Jianhua-amp-Xiao-Jie.

have fun :)