Lee Chong Wei ( 李宗伟 )

Discussion in 'Malaysia Professional Players' started by tbleong, Jan 8, 2007.

1. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    the least thing i respect about lcw is
    he lost most of his match after 2008 in rubber set. and most are dueced.

2. scorpion1

scorpion1 Regular Member

Exciting one
    Did i say that this forum is mine??? Lol... If Lee chong wei says something, then does not mean he is telling lies.. That what i meant..

3. bad's fan

bad's fan Regular Member

http://www.bwfbadminton.org/news_item.aspx?id=68986

so, it's confirmed that LCW get another injury? hope it's not bad.

and quite agree with Jonc108. if LCW reason to compete in SSF mainly due to the fine, i don't think he's doing the right thing. if he still targeting competing WC 2013 and AG 2014 then the main thing he must concerned about is how to stay injury-free, not force himself and get another injury. he is nearly 30, and recovery time may take a little bit longer.

4. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Thanks to pcl99, this article should shed some light on why Lee CW withdrew from the SSF after Du Pengyu inflicted a shocking defeat on him. http://sports.qq.com/a/20121212/000646.htm

According to the article, Lee CW withdrew after the match with DuPY citing injury, saying it's an old right ankle problem. In the post-match interview, he complained of the BWF tight,crowded tournament schedule, and that in order to avoid paying the USD5000 fine (5250 to be exact including the entrance fee) he helplessly forced himself to participate in the SSF despite feeling very tired. No matter whether he wins or loses today's match with DuPY, as long as LCW finishes one match, he can avoid paying the heavy penalty.

After LCW's withdrawal announcement, both Chinese and Malaysian press hoped to get an interview with him but was unsuccessful in spite of negotiations with BWF officials. As there were quite a few players complaining of the crowded tournament schedule near end of the year in addition to LCW's injury withdrawal today, BWF plans to hold a press conference soon in response to the tournament schedule problem.

[The above is what the article wrote which I've humbly partly translated and interpreted as best I could; maybe jonc108 or someone might want to verify it and CMIIW]

#9004 Justin L, Dec 12, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2012
  5. twobeer

twobeer Regular Member

computer
    LCW is getting older (like LD) :) ... He didn't used to complain much about back-to-back tournament.. He rather seemed to be the last-man-standing in those situations, and have excelled at it a number of times..

Then people complained about LD not playing all tournaments etc.. These days LCW also sings a different tune...

I don't really see that LCW has a huge point arguing this. At least not after the olympics this year.

After the olympic he has played 3 SS-tournaments in 15 weeks.. and he skipped french, Li-Ning China Open, and Kumpoos Macau GP before SS-finals..

Injury and lack of form I can understand but I think he is barking up the wrong tree if he blames BWF-tournament-scheduling on this occasion after olympics in my opinion!!!

6. eaglehelang

eaglehelang Regular Member

USD5,000 is no small amount after exchange rates & I reckon LCW would have to pay it himself, BAM sure wouldnt unless he cant walk at all

7. eaglehelang

The Star Online >
    Published: Wednesday December 12, 2012 MYT 8:35:00 PM
    Updated: Wednesday December 12, 2012 MYT 8:39:12 PM

World Super Series: Chong Wei goes down in opener, pulls out from tournament due to injury
    By LIM TEIK HUAT

SHENZHEN: What could have been an auspicious day - 12-12-12 - turned out otherwise for Lee Chong Wei.
    His bid to regain his World Super Series Finals crown in Shenzhen was dashed after he lost his opening group match to China's world number seven Du Pengyu and subsequently pulled out, citing a right thigh injury.
    The current world number one was expected to coast through after taking the first game easily.
    But his lack of preparation for the Super Series finale event after getting married last month was laid bare as a stubborn Du Pengyu, cheered on by the local crowd, carved out a 12-21, 21-16, 22-20 win in 65 minutes.
    Pengyu collapsed to the ground in sheer joy as if he had won the title and he had a reason to celebrate as this was the first time he had overcome the Malaysian after losing all six previous meetings.
    It was not so much the pain of losing his unbeaten record but Chong Wei, still catching his breath after the long rallies, revealed he was nursing a right thigh injury.
    Chong Wei later pulled out of the tournament after discussing with coach Tey Seu Bock and thus giving up the chance to win a fourth Super Series Finals title.
    Team manager Jeremy Gan confirmed that they had submitted a letter to the organisers to officially inform on the withdrawal of the top seed.
    "I am not in good condition as I had a leg injury coming here. I wanted to skip this tournament in the first place as I just got married last month. I wanted to take a longer break and just get ready for the Korean Open and Malaysian Open next month.
    "But I would have to pay a fine of US$5,000 (RM15,000) if I hadn't come here. In this sport, you will not be in top condition if you do not focus in training.
    "I will return home and hopefully recover to play in the Korean Open and Malaysian Open," said Chong Wei, who was the winner of the event from 2008 to 2010 but lost to Chen Long of China in the semis in Liuzhou last year.

Chong Wei's withdrawal left Pengyu in a strong position to reach the last four and he only needs to beat Hu Yun of Hong Kong in his second Group A match today.
    The top two finishers from each group advance to the crossover semi-finals.
    Chong Wei felt it would be better not to continue if he was unable to give his best.

"It has been a long season and everyone is just tired. I have been playing events every month after the Olympics.
    "Lin Dan (who did not qualify for the Super Series Finals) never played after the Olympics as he went on a long break for his wedding but I did not have this choice.
    "I try not to pressure myself here as I know I am not in a condition to play to my best," he added.

http://thestar.com.my/sports/story.asp?file=/2012/12/12/sports/20121212203511&sec=sports

In this article(and a few other articles), LCW didnt complain abt BWF per se, just the usual "It's been a long season".
    Tey SB was quoted as saying the injury was sustained during training in KL

#9007 eaglehelang, Dec 12, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2012
  8. zamrioo2

zamrioo2 Regular Member

technician
    it's kind of winning to him to play in tight rubber set with Du Pengyu, while his current condition not in top form plus another ankle injury... hope that he could win the Malaysias Open tittle on this January

9. maxout

maxout Regular Member

Go take break, go Xmas shopping with WMC in Shenzhen ... or drop in to see LD/XFF and discuss about coordinated FAMILY PLANNING ... LCW JR vs LD JR in 20 years time ? ;) I would like to see that !!

10. gunner93

gunner93 Regular Member

Of course he is tired since he has extended his already heavy training hours late into the nights :D

11. luvina

luvina Regular Member

ex student
    Yup, LCW is also human being ;)
    Take a long rest LCW! :)
    You deserve it.

12. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Lee CW didn't complain about BWF per se? Here is his own words, not reported in The Star Online:
    http://sports.qq.com/a/20121213/000105.htm (Just the relevant part below)

[FONT=&#23435]李宗伟抱怨世界羽联的做法对运动员很不公平。“我觉得世界羽联的赛程太密集了!一年要打那么多比赛,我们很难保持那么好的状态。但是要想不被罚款的话,还要坚持,这样很容易受伤的。”在过去的4届总决赛上,李宗伟拿到了其中三届的男单冠军,但是,由于目前自己并不处于最佳状态,他坦言最大的目标就是避免在比赛中意外受伤。[/FONT]林丹已经确定参加2016年里约奥运会,不过,李宗伟表示,自己暂时把计划做到两年之后的仁川亚运会。“我可能跟林丹还不一样,我在马来西亚打球要比他辛苦,因为压力会更大。我现在只是为自己做了一个两年的计划,先打到亚运会,看看自己的状态,之后再考虑是不是要坚持到里约奥运会。”

Lee CW complained that BWF's treatment of the players is very unfair. "I feel the BWF tournament schedule is too crowded! So many tournaments in one year,very hard for us to maintain our condition. But to avoid the fines,still have to carry on,this way very easy to sustain injury." In the previous four finals,LCW gained 3 of the 4 titles,but,because he's not at his best , he frsankly admitted his biggest concern is to avoid injury.

Lin Dan has confirmed he is taking part in Rio OG 2016, but LCW for the time being plans to play for two years until the Incheon Asian Games. " I may be different from Lin Dan, in Malaysia it is tougher for me because the pressure is greater. For now, I've made myself a two-year plan, first play until the Asian Games, then see my condition before considering whether to persevere until Rio Olympics." (End of translation)

Btw, is LCW's injury the right thigh or right ankle? If the former, it's new injury, the latter, old injury - there seems to be a discrepancy in the various reports/articles.

13. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    thigh... not ankle

http://campus999.blogspot.hk/2012/12/blog-post_13.html

14. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Yeah Lee CW, have a really good rest, go for your honeymoon,enjoy marital bliss; come back fit as a fiddle,happy as a lark !

15. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    so? lcw or whoever complain wont made what lyb said correct.

16. yayachico

yayachico Regular Member

he is taking away all DPY's credit for winning! its like telling the world that one cant be able to beat him is he's not injured, isnttttttt ittttttt??? :confused::confused::eek::rolleyes::rolleyes::D
    Hope he get well soon and be able give DPY another chance to prove his win ;)

17. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
    LCW didn't like the last shot by DPY that landed on the baseline, which was called in by the linesman.

18. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

I think for Du Pengyu to be able to push the Mighty Lee CW so hard and so close in two successive matches is truly something; he certainly deserves credit for it even though LCW wasn't at his best. In recent times,who else came so near to achieving it and succeeding once apart from Lin Dan and Chen Long,of course.

I almost forgot Shon Wan Ho.

19. AlanY

AlanY Regular Member

i remember once a chess grandmaster said that he never won a match against a 'fit' opponent.
    always excuses after defeats.

20. eaglehelang

Yeah, according to the interviews in The Star, NST, Berita Harian, Harian Metro, Sinar, Kosmo, LCW didnt complain, the major points are same as in The Star article- I already checked before posting the Star article. The article you read could be different interview by press from China.

According to NST & Harian Metro article(quotes from LCW, Tey SB), it's right thigh, sustained while training for this SS Finals. According to the article you read & some news sources, it's right ankle. I would believe the Msian press in terms of location of injury, they have better contacts with Msian team;);)

Right thigh could be old injury, LCW was injured in thigh and knee before, there was a time when it was all wrapped up, forgot whether right or left, also went for stem cell treatment for that

#9020 eaglehelang, Dec 13, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2012