Lee Chong Wei ( 李宗伟 )

Discussion in 'Malaysia Professional Players' started by tbleong, Jan 8, 2007.

1. eaglehelang

eaglehelang Regular Member

Hahaha, some Msians are commenting in the comments section of Msian press similar to post 9011. That now LCW is married, he has to do extra excercise at night, so more tired. :D:p

2. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    What you read in the paper may not be the exact words that the person said.

I also find that Chinese have a remarkable tendency to read too much into small remarks and extrapolate considerably. It may have something to do with the culture of Chinese idioms.

E.g. "I played a lot and am mentally tired" can be reported as "LCW complains that the schedule is too hard and BWF is being unfair...." Etc, etc.

3. pBmMalaysia

pBmMalaysia Regular Member

badminton coach
    You should advise this grandmaster to go gym and pump his fingers

then when he loses again he can have better excuses - finger fatigue :D

4. maxout

maxout Regular Member

But it is TRUE or else WMC long face afterwards :p

5. bad's fan

bad's fan Regular Member

of course i agree that $ 5,000 won't be a small amount. but sometimes in life, someone need to decide his/her priority. he is lucky that instead of having injury and feeling not ready for the tournament, he can finish his match and then decide to WDN. how if he got another injury while playing yesterday? at that time, $ 5,000 maybe would become very small number in his eyes. but of course that's just my opinion. he deserves to decide for himself. ;)

btw, which one is true? the link i posted before said he got some muscle injury, and then some articles said his old ankle injury comeback, and others said it's thigh?

and by then, we will see that LIN-LEE kingdom rule the MS world. :D

#9025 bad's fan, Dec 13, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2012
  6. bad's fan

bad's fan Regular Member

of course not. but made it a bit more reasonable, maybe. :D

hahaha. 1st time check the result, i was surprised. then read the article that LCW injured and WDN, i thinking like: "oh, DPY win was false alarm". :D

really need another chance for DPY to prove this all. ;)

and what is the relation of this with his loss?

7. eaglehelang

eaglehelang Regular Member

Pls refer :
    "I picked up a thigh injury during training. I wanted to withdraw from the event as it has been a long season and I am really tired but had no choice," said Chong Wei after the match.
    "Lin Dan had the luxury of a six-month break following his gold medal in the Olympics and his marriage but I had to keep playing.
    "I didn't get enough rest and hardly had time to prepare (for the tournament) after my wedding (last month). I also wanted to skip this event to focus on defending my Korea Open and Malaysia Open titles next month."

Read more: Chong Wei's season over - Badminton - New Straits Times http://www.nst.com.my/sports/badminton/chong-wei-s-season-over-1.185590#ixzz2Ewqsx4k9

and
    Then came the biggest blow – Chong Wei pulled out of the tournament – citing a right thigh injury.
    http://thestar.com.my/sports/story.asp?file=/2012/12/13/sports/12454149&sec=sports

and
    Jurulatih, Tey Seu Bock mengesahkan pemain itu mengalami kecederaan paha kanan dan terpaksa menarik diri dari kejohanan.

“Sebenarnya kecederaan itu dialami di Kuala Lumpur namun bertambah parah hingga Chong Wei tidak mampu untuk melompat,” kata Seu Bock menerangkan situasi Chong Wei dalam set kedua.
    http://www.hmetro.com.my/myMetro/articles/2012121302435620121213024356/Article/index_html

Msian press say right thigh, I'll go with them, they have the contact numbers to counter check with the coach and team manager
    ;);)

8. pBmMalaysia

pBmMalaysia Regular Member

badminton coach
    Right hand player uses right foot to launch forward every time

so possible and a good guess it's his right thigh

unless injury is not badminton related

and that would be a bad guess! :D

9. bad's fan

bad's fan Regular Member

okay, thank you eaglehelang. :)

btw,

i don't think take his own vacation with a lot of fines waiting for him at his comeback is a luxury. :D

10. Jonc108

Jonc108 Regular Member

.... Don't know why he need to compare with LD on this case, just do what he want....

11. maxout

maxout Regular Member

The few newspaper reports and statements by LCW clearly showed ONE THING - he is NOT HIS OWN MAN ... cannot even decide and be firm as to whether he wants to play or not, pay the fine or not ... real puppet of BAM, Yonex and BWF ....

I suspect Lin Dan just "laughed" at all these organisations and do as he pleases ...

12. eRa@에라

eRa@에라 Regular Member

Accountant
    PUPPET? *roll eyes* your statement clearly shows ONE THING - IGNORANCE.

For most of us working for other people, are we puppets to our bosses for having to do as they/our companies expected/instructed? and even when we are working our own business, are we a puppet to our barriers when we are made to give in to those... Perhaps in your point of view... But I disagree...

There are many circumstances where we just could not do what we wish we could do e.g. you want a longer holiday but your boss keeps insisting you attending all those long-hours meetings etc... and there are other matters need to be put into consideration before making a decision, and despite that we may even make mistake...it's how life works...and that is basically PREDICTABLE... thus, why I could understand this kind of situation LCW's in and share my empathy, although 'inconsiderates' don't. And that is just, sad...

Please don't go easily 'puppet-ing' people and be a judge of whether he is or he is not his own man. It's just so unnecessary.

13. maxout

maxout Regular Member

In your context, which I don't disagree then I PITY LCW for being a PUPPET .... instead of critising him for being one, boleh ? ;)

14. scorpion1

scorpion1 Regular Member

Exciting one
    Puppet?? In what way??? He was the one and still he is the only one who has struggled hard to come up this level in malaysian badminton circuit ,still continuously proving his excellence and brilliance with his fantabulous skills:). No other malaysian have ever achieved this feet:D. So, those who are ignorant would not be able to conceal his skills and achievements easily with their bare hands definitely cannot succeed :D. He is always free to express his view and a well disciplined person who never disobeyed BWF or BAM in any way. Does it mean he is puppet??:mad:. My gosh !!! Do people really want like some other top badminton men's singles player who continuously missing tournaments and paying fines for his absence from his pocket money ???? :rolleyes:

#9034 scorpion1, Dec 13, 2012
  15. Oceanwave

Oceanwave Regular Member

Again, I think your opinion of LYB, CBA or even maybe Justin L clouded your judgement.
    LYB's complaint, LCW's complaint, the amount of top players got injured since SS format is introduced, the amount of players keep playing with minor injuries with the risk of worsening it... Adding everything up, doesn't it imply current BWF SS system, or badminton match format might need fixing?

What some people keep forgetting is that current match format and BWF schedule are all very new (only about 6,7 years i believe). while i do admit both changes are good for expanding badminton audience as the duration of a match is somewhat controlled for broadcast, and almost every month there are high quality tournaments with world's top players, what wear and tear such intense system can have on players need to be continuously studied.

Our players are the biggest assets BWF and this sport have, more people should take notice of the too common occurrence of player fatigue, serious injuries, playing with injuries... and if necessary, change the format of badminton match and adjust BWF SS schedules to better suit players' well being. Right off the bat, I think monetary penalty needs to go. It's way too much for many top players or federations, thus forcing them to play with fatigue or even injuries.

During last night's SSF matches, commentator GC again pointed out that players shouldn't complain about packed schedule because tennis players play 19+ tournaments a year, and their matches are longer. I stated in my previous post that cross sports comparison to tennis on this aspect is invalid, so i won't bother repeat the reasoning. But it surprised me that as a former top player herself, she ignores all the injuries happening over the years, a lot more comparing to tennis. If two sports are comparable in this aspect, then why? Does she think top badminton players r just that weaker, less professional than tennis players? do you?

My point is, badminton in it's current format is new, and should keep evolving. It feels like BWF is set to make it more popular fast, and demanding a lot, maybe too much out of its players. Us badminton fans, on the other hand, need to pay more attentions to player conditions. After all, they play the sport at highest level, we are just watching it.

16. maxout

maxout Regular Member

You guys don't get it, do you ? .... IF LCW wants to compete and play and then if he LOSES then he LOSES - accept that as a gentleman ... stop giving excuses like what he did, his wedding, BWF planned too many games, then compared himself against Lin Dan ... etc etc ... when he gave all those excuses, trying to justify his loss to DPY and trying to elicit sympathies from his die-hard fans like yourselves ... then to me he is just portraying himself as being nothing but a PUPPET (as in a person who cannot decide what is good and bad for himself but blames others when things go wrong) ...

Just face the FACT that a changing of the guards is HAPPENING NOW ... LD and LCW together with TH and PG era are practically over ....

The fact that LCW is Malaysia's so-called ONLY BRIGHT HOPE and SUPERSTAR (as Scorpion1 loves to highlight in every post about LCW) IMHO, is a CRYING SHAME FOR MALAYSIA ... for it means Malaysia has NO OTHER CREDIBLE IMMEDIATE challengers in the global competitions ... :(

You guys are looking at LCW and today ... I am LOOKING AT POST-LCW and tomorrow ...

For me, the LCW, LD, TH and PG will always be remembered as the BEST QUARTET from the top nations for the last decade ... time to move on .... 2 have decided to call time, one has gone AWOL and one more is in denial and he is starting to get beaten more frequently now by the new up and coming players ... remember what happened to Taufik in the last 2-3 years, well, it is coming for LCW ...

If you ask me, if LD quits now, he is smart ...he quits on the HIGH NOTE as the reigning OLYMPIC champion ... no point tarnishing his reputation and legacy for a few more $$$$ and SS titles.

Honestly, I am expecting to see Chen Long as the World No.1 starting 2013 ... you can see it in his eyes and the determination when he beats LCW in the last HK SS Open was ....

17. Oceanwave

Oceanwave Regular Member

Ahh, seems like I forgot it is somewhat directed at limsy. Don't always blame people who complain about BWF schedule and other match rules. While players should always play harder and plan smarter, don't forget the other half of the equation: BWF schedule and rules are not set in stone either, it can be changed, and maybe should be changed. imho, badminton hasn't find that perfect balance point, and it needs to keep evolving.

18. maxout

maxout Regular Member

Why can't LCW just say when he loses to CL and DPY - a simple statement, "I lost to a better player today and I will try harder next time" ... PERIOD ... why all the "extra" reasons .... ? :rolleyes:

The part I dislike the most ( although I joked about it ) is when he keeps using his wedding as an excuse ... If it continues, it will be a matter of time before WMC will start to think that LCW is blaming all his recent losses on their wedding !! OOOPPPSSS .... :p

#9038 maxout, Dec 13, 2012
  19. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    I thought players and their coaches do have some leeway in making choices.

Indeed for the top players they are obliged to play in certain compulsory tournaments but they can also skip some to avoid fatigue and injury.

Also as an obligation to their sponsors.

But in the end, isn't it the responsibility of both the player and the coach to decide on which tournaments they should participate in, taking into account the preparation needed, the rest in between tournaments and the importance of the tournament itself. This is to ensure that the player avoids both staleness and possible injury and doing well to earn ranking points. The word "Periodization" should not be forgotten.

For the professional player, more tournaments will give them the chance to pick and choose and earn more prize money and ranking points. If he is not in a good playing condition to compete, he should not participate as he is more prone to injury and early-round knock-outs which defeats his objective.

Now come to think of it, Lin Dan did have some leeway although he seemed happy to be WR2 but eventually secured most of the top titles, including the London Olympics.

#9039 Loh, Dec 13, 2012
  20. scorpion1

scorpion1 Regular Member

Exciting one
    If he is in top circuit and top class badminton as well as ranking for many years, don't he has that simple liberty to say whatever he thinks..?. Lol.. Ignorant guys. LCW is exactly right in pointing out whatever he had . He was injured and hence he pointed out. Whats wrong in it?? It seems these guys seems not to be pity for his injury but they feel for the reason whatever he says.. Huh.. :rolleyes: If you are out for one day and the opponent beats him, does it need to say like" he is better than me".. Lol :mad:.. Facts will say the truth who is better :).