starting badminton court business

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by divinefavor, Nov 5, 2012.

1. CanucksDynasty

CanucksDynasty Regular Member

Working to pay for badminton stuff
    I found a place that sounds just like that. It's called a community centre. :p

2. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Funding difference and target market segments

3. thumpsky

thumpsky Regular Member

Student
    they accept riff raff

4. pBmMalaysia

pBmMalaysia Regular Member

badminton coach
    And next to it probably a mini police station and clinic :)

And they are for reports and admissions .... if you know what i mean :D

5. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    we need more concrete examples instead of just leaving it to the imagination. ;)

6. bad-vancouver

bad-vancouver Regular Member

Looks like you were able to get some great information here on BC. I have to concur with most of the concerns brought up by other members. As for getting funding, you've already been given good advice, you need some really solid financial projections to pitch to investors. If you are hoping for a loan from a financial institution, you are going to need a good track record of opening and running a successful business. As Kwun says, end of the day, it all comes down to the numbers. If you can't convince the bank that they're going to get their money back, you aren't going to get anything from them. First thing you need to do is figure out how much a 10 court facility will cost to build out and lease. Check the local zoning bylaws.

As PbmMalaysia mentioned, you need to know the badminton business inside and out. How can you sell a product that you don't fully understand yourself. Be prepared to work 7 days a week.

As some others have mentioned, location location location. In the information age, people don't want to spend years trying to find what is right for them. Since most badminton facilities are built using the same mold, if you can be closer, you may very likely become the place of choice to play at.

7. bad-vancouver

bad-vancouver Regular Member

Not sure where I was going with that "information age" line, looks like it was really late last night and I was switching back to writing this and doing something else at the same time. :eek: I really shouldn't participating on BC at 4 in the morning LOL

Anyways, best of luck in following your dreams

8. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Strategic partnerships? Like this?

[video=youtube;kfjUZxBVMaU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kfjUZxBVMaU[/video]

#68 Cheung, Jan 6, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2013
  9. deligenlp

deligenlp New Member

Environment Officer
    so did the threadstarter open up the badminton court? im dying to find out! :eek:)

10. latecomer

latecomer Regular Member

selfemploy
    He probably opened then closed.

11. mater

mater Regular Member

Nomad
    Great info in this thread. My guess is the OP never did open a facility.

12. hanshinji

hanshinji Regular Member

unfortunately, i did not open a new gym. but i still do enjoy playing the sport regularly. :)

13. hanshinji

hanshinji Regular Member

i'm OP. somehow badminton central banned my original ID saying duplicate registration. i did email the admin about the mistake so let's see.

anyway, i've been busy with work and life events but i'm slowly bringing back my dream to open a badminton facility. i am in talks with badminton gym owners for advice and few badminton players who are interested in investing into my plan. if any of you would like to be an investor, please contact me at replay200803@gmail.com. all ideas/feedbacks will be welcomed as well!

14. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    I happen to know one gym in southern california that does that. yes. Asian run. :)

15. bestindigital

bestindigital Regular Member

Data Engineer
    I think that's a good idea. If you can find space in the right location (where most badminton players can reach without too much hassle) and also offer coaching for badminton, and start a stringing business, and maybe later, a small pro shop with rackets and shuttles, etc. I'd love to be the owner of such an establishment, but in the midwestern US, badminton is considered a backyard sport to be played while drinking beer.

16. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    unfortunately, bay area is rather saturated at the moment. the sport has grown leaps and bounds but so has the competition between clubs. some changes in the dynamics of running business.

cost has gone up, rent has gone up since the boom in the valley. in fact, some club has closed after seeing the reality of rent increase.

popularity is up, many gyms are saturated, in fact, on a weekday, many gyms are saturated in the evening.

drop in / membership prices has gone up. no more $200/year membership these days. people are paying closer to $400/yr +/-

no more new locations has popped up. all locations with available landuse / warehouses have a gym already. this is despite rumors of people looking. so perhaps those who are looking are finding it hard to justify.

some of these factors are +ve, some are -ve. you need to judge for yourself.

17. hanshinji

hanshinji Regular Member

bay area has by far the highest number of dedicated badminton facilities. and yes, badminton is growing in US (although it is true that most americans think it is a backyard sport). other than smash city ownership change and bay badminton burlingame closure, i haven't heard of badminton gym closure (do let me know if there were more closures and ownership changes).

even though there are numerous badminton venues in bay area, you usually go to one or two places (either close to work or close to home). if you have a membership for one location, you'd probably go there almost all the time.

so the real question is, are there enough badminton venues in bay area that can provide reasonable access to most of players? probably yes. are there space for another venue? i'd say yes. i would have to back up my answer with actual numbers, but there are a lot of new towns and communities that have been developing over few years that are attracting a lot of asians (especially indians and chinese).

but there is a different aspect too. if you focus on probability of success for a new badminton gym in bay area, it is just another business talk. but if you vision that another dedicated badminton gym is opening near you, (as a player) you'd be very excited.

18. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    ownership changes

GGBC1 -> Royal Badminton -> Synergy
    GGBC2 -> EBA
    United Badminton Club - new owner.
    APAC (Union City) -> ZBTC
    BBC1 closure
    SmashCity -> BBC3

the only locations that don't have owner change is Affinity, Bintang and CBA.

19. hanshinji

hanshinji Regular Member

interesting. any idea why BBC1 was closed?

20. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    only 3rd hand information. the building was sold and the new owner raised the rent.