What tactics should Lee Chong Wei use against Chen Long?

Discussion in 'Malaysia Professional Players' started by baddychamp, Dec 11, 2013.

1. baddychamp

baddychamp Regular Member

what should be lee chong wei tactics against chen long

2. faaiz

faaiz Regular Member

assistant manager
    i have seen LCW fight against chen long..LCW should attack more at Chen Long Backhand because boonsak ponsana get many point during his fight againts chen long when he attack backhand chen long.and LCW should less give highlifting and try to play spin net shot....but it easy to say than do it :D

3. captaincook

captaincook Regular Member

captain
    Whoever controls the net controls the game. I think CL controlled the net more than LCW in the Korean Open SS.

4. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Train up the other BAM players to beat CL in the early rounds. ;)

5. OneToughBirdie

OneToughBirdie Regular Member

engineer
    Like Faaiz said it is 'easy to say than do it'...the other BAM players cannot even escape R1...hahaha:D:D

6. OneToughBirdie

engineer

Reading your post, you must be a great guru in badminton...maybe I need to enrol in your classes, what's this 'spin net shot', backside, err I mean backhand CL:D, and next Bruce Lee kick CL, OK I make this up:p

7. pajrul

pajrul Regular Member

counter attack strategy implementation by Rashid Sidek to Lee Chong Wei, at break time during Chen Long vs Chong Wei match at Korean Open 2014. " Datuk, pukul kuat kuat sikit.. ok aaa? ok lets go"

8. ibelieveindevil

ibelieveindevil Regular Member

the only tactics he probably need to use use is to treat CL like a normal opponent so that he dont need to care too much about the crap media is talking about.

9. SibugiChai

SibugiChai Regular Member

YAB
    Rashid sounds like a top notch coach,

10. baddychamp

i think he should focus more on fast agile attacks and exchanges than relying on power smashes

11. OneToughBirdie

engineer
    He sure is:D...maybe RS is reading BC and getting all these great coaching tips like spin net shot, agile attacks, blah, blah, blah:p

12. volcom

volcom Regular Member

He should play like the LCW of Li Mao years

13. baddychamp

i think patience is one more factor

14. gunner93

gunner93 Regular Member

Here are LCW's trademark shot making in court :

1) Short service.
    2) Short serves return to the (side) next to the poles of the net.
    3) Explosive leaping smashes. May not be fast - only 220 to 230km/h but the shuttle either dips along the side line, cross court or body attack.
    4) Lightning lunge to net for kill touch.
    5) No unnecessary smashes to conserve energy especially 1st set.
    6) Dipping drops from base line overheads.
    7) Good defence from opponents smashes. Return with low cross to the opponent's front net.

Conversely, his weakness were lapse in concentration when :

1) Being attacked at back hand, he back-hand return high for opponent opportunity to smash.
    2) Some times he is overconfident and commit unforce errors.
    3) You can see most of the time, he toys with opponent until 3/4 of the game with level score, then race in front to finish the game. Perhaps a strategy to tire out his opponent or perhaps he likes to show his craft on court but its his game after all.
    4) During break when he drinks from his energy drink bottle, he doesnt close back the cap. Just my observation.

#14 gunner93, Jun 23, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2014
  15. SibugiChai

SibugiChai Regular Member

YAB
    i think those drink might be oxidized with open cap thus did not helpe datuklee to regain power

16. Husky

Husky Regular Member

I think it's a doable task for LCW to consistently beat Chen Long for the next couple of seasons.

Factors LCW needs to get right:
    Service and Net: [Setting up the rally] Winning the net exchanges. Chen Long looks a lot more pro-active in the net area, leaping in for net kills. Part of this is that CL is such a big guy with a long reach. Chong Wei should not use cross-court net because of the wing-span of CL. Straight net and if CL looks to pounce/ the shuttle has fallen too far towards the floor, toss the shuttle straight up the line. Serve narrow (down the middle), low serve 90% of the time obviously. Its the front court game that's getting LCW in trouble nowadays and this is also an area Lin Dan is hugely successful.

Back court Lots of you have stressed being agressive from the baseline and punishing CL for short lifts. I don't think anyone however fit can do this for 90 minutes/3 sets. So i think a compromise is either to go all out for sets 1 & 3 and just give up the second game. Or, to be super-agressive on anything off a full length, but to hit straight down the lines 90% of the time mixing up jump smashes, steep fast drops with no slice, and attack clears up the line. Get Chen Long twisting about an axis basically, LCW should be more agile and Chen Long faster in a straight line if you see what I mean. Cross court opens the court up too much and yes, i know, LCW loves the forehand crosscourt smash, but it should be used more sparingly.

Avoid giving Chen Long time on the shuttle. He is dangerous because he's so freakin' big, if he gets time he can hit a smash LCW won't be able to pick up because it's so steep. If LCW hits flatter attack clears, this should redress the balance, giving CL less height on the shuttle to work with. That steep smash and the net kills are Chen Long's big weapons. Lee Chong Wei's are his accuracy and his agility, and recently, LCW is losing points at the front and is not getting enough smashes back as he would from other top players - this is down to CL steep smashes not particularly the power.

If LCW must lift deep, then straight up the middle *not* down the line. The cross-courts from CL are quite high percentage plays, simply because how high he can get up in the air. (LCW has a smaller rectangle to aim for, if you follow.) and because of the steepness again, they won't be coming back.

Flatter exchanges to be avoided, better trying to jam CL to the body than turn the game into lateral exchanges. This I think LCW is pretty aware of, but its worth mentioning.

17. AlanY

AlanY Regular Member

and that's based on LCW lost to Chen Long SIX times out of the last 8 they played?

18. latecomer

latecomer Regular Member

selfemploy
    CL will get better. LCW will stay the same at best if not declining. LCW will no doubt can beat CL in the future but CL will win the Olympic and the WC if they meet. There is not much LCW can do, father time catching up on him.

19. Husky

Husky Regular Member

Right... so he should just give up? I don't think its a bad matchup on paper when you look at the playing styles. Mind you over recent years, all of CL's improvements have been geared towards dismantling LCW.

Chong wei is also a very complete player, i think its just a case of getting the right game plan and putting his game face on. Sometimes having 99 variations to pick from can lead to overthinking. Most of the stuff i was saying was a list of options to discard.

20. Husky

Husky Regular Member

I sort of agree, LCW got another year or two at most at this physical level. But.....

At the level he plays, its tactical, not so much physical. Lin Dan peaked physically at the Beijing olympics, after that his style has evolved to take into account losing half a step. I think LCW peaked for the London WC but Lin Dan managed to win there by marshalling his resources and playing the perfect tactical game.