Exercises to strengthen your wrist

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by treilanin, Mar 2, 2009.

1. treilanin

treilanin Regular Member

I am 31 year old male, who is about 6'5" in height with a pretty slim build and have been playing badminton two days a week for about 4-5 years. As a background, I have played a number of rackets since returning to badminton which include a BK PCV-65 and an Astec Storm Pro both of which are pretty light rackets that are probably head light or even balanced.

Recently on a trip to Asia, I picked up a Ti-10 2nd Gen for my wife, however she did not like it very much so I ended up giving it a try. What I found is I really like the racket a lot. It has really nice feel and control, and on a hit it feels substantial enough that I can feel the power transfer to the shuttle. The major issue I am having with this racket is wrist pain.

I believe what is occuring is the follow through of the racket head after making contact with shuttle is causing some strain on my wrist. This of course is a combination of my weak wrist and my technique, since there are times when I hit the shuttle and no pain is felt at all.

So I was looking for any sort of exercises that I can do to help strengthen my wrist so I can use this racket on a regular basis. Currently when I try to use the Ti-10 all it takes is a few off hits to cause it to tweak my wrist.

Thanks.

2. krisss

krisss Regular Member

Try searching the forums first. There are lots of ways if you search :D.

But , first of all we need to adress your technique!

Technique is one of the most important things.
    Ask an expierienced player , or coach for the correct technique.

Then , to increase your wrist stength , hold your racket out parallel to the floor and swing 5 cm up and down , this will eventually burn , keep doing it because pain is gain :D

Or you could hold your hands out , and then make a fist then extend your hand out , repeat this over and over again. Again this will burn your wrist but pain is gain :D

Good luck , and hope this helps :D!:D!:d!

3. dubber

dubber Regular Member

Electrician
    Or take a piece of wood or anything thats circular and tie a rope to it and then tie a weight (one that you can manage ofc) then hold your arms straight out from your body and start rolling the wood or what you have until the weight reaches the top, after this dont just release it try to roll it down aswell as far as you can. This gives quite a burn and is rather effective, atleast for me :p

4. Destricto_Ense

Destricto_Ense Regular Member

Student
    The two methods I use are:
    1. A ketchup bottle filled with water (or indeed ketchup..). The long neck of the bottle is similar enough to a racquet grip in shape and makes it easier to hold than a normal drinks bottle which I have seen recommended in other threads. You then swing this side to side using your wrist only.
    2. Hitting a shuttle against the wall using a tennis racquet. This is pretty hard, but the racquet weighs a ton and definitely builds up both wrist and arm strength.

I use these mainly for backhand strength, and even after one or two days of it I saw a noticeable improvement in my backhand strokes.

5. Tekkai

Tekkai Regular Member

u can do barbell reverse wrist curls and normal wrist curls =) but dun do it too fast if not it will injure your wrist..n dun use to heavy barbells if not the training will not be effective and it might oso injure ur wrist too..=)

6. alphazed1

alphazed1 Regular Member

software engineer
    even i wud recommend the barbell wrist curls... also... u can do the kung fu pushups... (guess am going too far with tht).. those r the kinda pushups which concentrate on the smaller muscle groups... so u do them on all finger tips.. tht way ur wrist takes lot o beating n u feel the gain within a week... initially u may not b able to do it... so u can simply hols ur push up stance for lets say 10 15 sec n not do any push ups... this will work upon ur grip also like anything... since ur fingers r involved too... then there r 2 finger pushups... 2 finger pull ups... etc... pushups on wrists... etc...

7. Marquee1975

Marquee1975 Regular Member

System Administrator
    Maybe a Powerball / Gyro-Twister will be of Help!

Good Luck!

8. bradmyster

bradmyster Regular Member

Customer server network Support
    if you are male as you say try pleasuring yourself for 5 minutes before swapping hands.

lolol im joking.
    most effective way is the bottle of water filled 3 quarters. because the weight shift teaches you to control better and gives a better core strength to your wrist.

9. DeDzKniGhT

DeDzKniGhT New Member

Student
    Sir, i just found this out in a thread, it may be of use.
    http://www.badmintoncentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11173

Through this, i recently learned that what I've been doing in the past has been useless somehow. I shouldn't have been doing wrist curls. Now I'm looking for exercises that strengthen my forearm, to help with the pronation/supination movement.
    But I've been using the ketchup bottle filled with 3 quarters of water. It has been quite effective, in a way that i didn't focus on my wrist, just moving it side to side.

10. mo30dc

mo30dc New Member

student
    hey Treilnin,

I can only sympathize with your problem. I've recently returned to playing badminton after a long lay off as i used to play a lot as a teenager.

but having broken my left wrist as a kid i took some time away from the sport as I kept getting wrist pains. Since then I have gotten into other sports such as grappling and the pressure that my wrists are under can often make things worse e.g. griping the gui, submission holds etc.

As for myself, i have found the best way to remedy the pain is to tackle the problem head on by focusing specific wrist exercises perhaps more than most people simply due to my prior injury.

i will always start off by doing simple static stretches, pushing my flat hand in both directions and normally work on developing wrist strength by doing kettlebell swings and gripstick twists. personally, the most important part is to warm down sensibly at the end of any training sessions, especially now as I'm getting older as my joints are not what the used to be. :)

i also take Krill oil tablets regularly to help lubricate the joints. I hope this helps.

http://www.wristexercisesblog.com/

11. Amin Khalili

Amin Khalili Regular Member

Student
    The method that I always use is use a heavy racket(other use tennis racket but I cant afford it)
    Using that heavy racket , there are many way to make it as a training . You can refer on other post/thread

12. Jing09

Jing09 Regular Member

Student
    Squash racket > Tennis racket for badminton training.

13. bradmyster

bradmyster Regular Member

Customer server network Support
    there are thousands of ways!!!!

Squash racket is the most effective for badminton strokes. When playing use a squash racket and do 5 minutes of taps with a partner. Short sharp taps just like your normal training. Then use your normal racket and do some light strokes to loosen up your wrist muscles and rest them. Then another 5 minutes of squash racket taps.

When your at home or wherever. Grab your squash racket and make a figure 8 motion. Start slow for the first few times till you gain a bit of strength but after a while try to go quite fast. Because as most of you would know, faster wrist movements will generate more power.

Its like me and my backhand at the moment. I have good technique and a good stroke, but im only generating 3/4 of the power i need for a full smash and perfect fullcourt clear. So im going to start this wrist training when i recomence normal badminton training. (once my stupid injury heals lol)
    The reasoning mainly being my swing and wrist movements is too slow because of my weakish wrist. So strengthening will generate faster and stronger movements which in turn will give me the results i need.

Goodluck.

14. FlyingGorilla

FlyingGorilla Regular Member

Geospatial Analyst
    I've recently started using a large elastic strap, like the yoga bands or something that compares...Basically match the motion that i would in a shot for badminton with the motion i move attached to the end of the elastic while having the other end under my foot...if that makes sense...all this only with my wrist though

i basically do 50 a night for all directions, and i feel a huge improvement in my net kill/smash/backhand and deep smash return. Give it a shot, that is if that made sense lol..

15. thlim78

thlim78 Regular Member

recently I hv been doing some warming up / light exercises with squash racket with the purpose to strengthen my wrist. When at home, I do figure of 8's for 5 - 10 mins, three times per week. And on court, I do combination of fast drive, lob, smash, and drop for 10 - 20 mins against my friend.

now, here comes my problem. Each time I switch to my badminton racket (3U2G), I can feel that the racket becomes lighter, but the feeling is so strange. It seems like I am not holding anything. And when I smash, I don't have the feeling that I am smashing. Also I feel that my strength / power are not concentrated enuff when I smash, and my timing is also becoming inaccurate when I smash.

I am puzzled. Please suggest to me what went wrong, and the correct approach using squash racket for wrist strenghtening.

Thanks.

16. Jing09

Jing09 Regular Member

Student
    Normally, it's a great feeling to me when I can't feel the weight of the racket; I keep on clearing everything out. Feels like I have super strength :]

17. Licin

Licin Regular Member

Student
    when swimming, i usually do freestyle swimming..
    so does it help strengthening my arm as well as my wrist?

18. Notnimdab729

Notnimdab729 Regular Member

Deputy General Manager
    wrist training

Hi thelim78,
    I think u failed to hit the sweetspot of the racket. Yr technique in question:p
    Lee:D

19. thlim78

thlim78 Regular Member

agree that I hv failed to hit the sweetspot, and that happens after I switch over to a lighter racket.

The weight and grip size of my squash racket is different from my badminton racket. Do u think the difference in weight and grip size of rackets will affect my timing in smashing/hitting the sweetpot ?

20. Notnimdab729

Notnimdab729 Regular Member

Deputy General Manager
    wrist training

Hi thlim78,
    Of course, the weight and grip size of the racket will affect your "feel" and ultimately yr performance. Some people specifically prefer a certain grip size n weight to suit their ways of play. The "feel" is very important.:) As for using squash racket to train, is good for arm strength. Have u tried using a powerful handgrip to assist u in yr training? This will help too. Not just train up yr forearm but also yr finger grip power.;)
    Lee:D