New to the Sydney Scene

Discussion in 'Australia / New Zealand' started by creamo, Sep 6, 2009.

1. creamo

creamo Regular Member

Greetings all,

My very 1st post!!....:cool:

Being new into the Sydney badminton scene - couple of questions i guess for the old-timers here...

(1) Graded players - what does this mean? does this mean if i were to play in Sydney, i would need to get myself graded? If yes, How does grading take place? Who performs the grading, also - how is grading done?

(2) Places to play - looking thru' the forums sites - i realized that there are many places to actually play in Sydney- but being alone (ie, not w/ a group or team), how to i get to play? do i just rock up at a venue and play or should i get in contact with the clubs?

(3) as badminton is not a widely popular game in OZ, there are not many places to buy equipment - would there be any reccomendations on a good place to purchase shoes?

I'm rather new into the whole badminton scene in sydney as i'm not played for a bit, but is very interested in actually picking the game once again...

Hopefully this is the correct place to post my 1st post, and i'm very much so looking forward to some feedfback/comments...

Thanks much !

T:D

2. HyperHorse

HyperHorse New Member

Do a google search for the badminton association in NSW which is creatively called "Badminton NSW".. From there you should be able to find a listing of clubs by area, and as I've already looked there are a lot of clubs in the Northern suburbs of Sydney....
    Most tennis shops will have squash and badminton racquets, but the range will vary...
    I got my racquet from Baker's Tennis on Castlereagh st in the City...

3. creamo

creamo Regular Member

Thanks Hyper....

btw - Anyone knows a good re-stringing place in Sydney?

T

4. HyperHorse

HyperHorse New Member

Baker's Tennis restring all racquets.. Tennis, Squash, Badminton.. etc etc..

5. eyky1618

eyky1618 Regular Member

Hi Tze

Following on from my PM, there is a guy from the castle hill badminton club who sells Yonex racquets and shoes if you are into Yonex. He is of course an authorized dealer - will introduce you to him when you come around. His shop/warehouse is based in Seven Hills. Have a look at his website - search Calibre Australia. I think he is pretty well-known in the badminton circle as I have seen some post in Badminton Central Forum mentioning him.

As for grading, I believe most of the surburban clubs have their own grading criterias and levels; and is usually graded by the regular players in the club who are usually committee members of the club. If you are really into it, grading can be done in UNSW or was it U Syd. Dig into the forums, CCC replied me regarding this issue before.

Regards
    Edward

6. WishMaster

WishMaster New Member

Here you can find Grading as well as clubs in Sydney area:

http://www.sydneybadmintonassoc.org/