Why are the Women's doubles players not trying to win?

Discussion in 'Olympics LONDON 2012' started by Dr.Dino, Jul 31, 2012.

1. flite

flite Regular Member

You clearly messed-up with all your previous posts and now you are jumping from one point to another. You really don't know what you are talking about. You cannot even differentiate who's the governing body and who makes the call.

There is no more cowboy town.

Best wishes to you.

#301 flite, Aug 1, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2012
  2. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    I believe all 4 pairs have been disqualified.

I'd like to post this again; from the handbooks of BWF; and I'd like to see where they go with it, in the present context:

http://www.bwfbadminton.org/file_dow...d=364322&tid=1
    Part III Section 1B appendix 5
    DECLARATION ON INTEGRITY OF MATCHES

Recognising that such gambling is outside the control of the BWF, but wishing to retain Badminton’s reputation for integrity, it is therefore recommended that severe penalties (possibly including exclusion from the sport for life) be applied to anyone, whether a player, or a court or team official, who influences (or attempts to influence) the normal outcome or progress of a match as determined by the skills and tactics of the players involved, typically but not always, for personal financial gain.

....and to be read in conjunction with....

http://www.bwfbadminton.org/file_dow...d=364321&tid=1
    Part III Section 1B appendix 4

4.5 Failure to use best efforts
    Not using one’s best efforts to win a match.

3. AlanY

AlanY Regular Member

believe me, you dont wanted to see that!

4. AlanY

AlanY Regular Member

on the same theme you could disqualify LCW for life.
    he given up not even half way of the first game 4 years ago in the same Games, didn't he?

5. mindfields

mindfields Regular Member

Your analogy is incorrect.
    Death in this case would be a banning from the sport.
    They were dq'd from one event. They are still alive & can play another day.

6. HappySachs

HappySachs Regular Member

This is by far the worst news to come out of all of this. I hope that she has caring friends and family who will convince her to continue in the sport she loves and is also so very very talented at. I'm hoping time and distance will provide her with perspective, I'd be absolutely gutted if she didn't play again. Yes, she needs to understand what she did wrong but she should also understand that the BWF and coaches put her in the position she found herself, most of the blame is with them.

However, what also concerns me the most is that this might not be her decision and she's being used as an example for political reasons.

7. visor

visor Regular Member

Youll have to use Firefox with addon to bypass country restrictions.

It's a must watch, at least for the incredible acting and unfortunate predicament that the players were stuck in. At the very least one should watch it so that you can understand the situation better and understand what others are discussing about.

At least it's like rubber necking while passing by a car accident wreck... you just can't help looking. ;)

#307 visor, Aug 1, 2012
  8. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    I'm pretty certain the players didn't think this up all by themselves.
    They got their orders from someone else.
    Who do you think it could be?

I'd assume BWF is still conducting an investigation into the entire episode, and I have a feeling we will have to wait a while for the final judgements. The players could get bans longer than just this event (Olympics) or life bans too. What interests me really is to see if the instigators and bosses who really perpetrated this, are allowed to get away scot-free.

9. visor

visor Regular Member

If the investigations and repercussions go beyond the players being dq'd to include higher up, then for sure IOC will have more excuse to remove badminton from Oly 2016 and on, as it is up for review already. So can forget about the next Oly.

10. thunder.tw

thunder.tw Regular Member

I don't share your confidence in those corrupt collection of pinheads at the BWF. Furthermore it's a pity that they stopped at DQs for just the eight women. As you said this is likely a result of them acting on instructions and as a result I would have liked to have seen the entire Kor, Ina and Chn WD teams DQd. Then just maybe the stakeholders in our game would be forced to sit down and rethink how this whole corrupt enterprise has been run. From the Olympics to the whole corrupt qualification process. Ultimately they should just make it like volleyball, basket ball or any other team sport. One participant per country per event.

11. gundamzaku

gundamzaku Regular Member

working professional
    never done that, so i wouldn't know the feeling, hahahahahahahah

12. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    Forget about the next Oly? That's fine with me, if it means that we get to clean up the game, though! :D It's been done in other sports; it is do-able; BWF just need to get more professional. Right now even large parts of their handbook reads like a sad apology and cop-out! :(

13. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    Agreed! I'm not big on confidence re. the BWF myself, but what's the option? Chris-ccc's Player's Federation? What if that is mismanaged equally?

I'm not sure though, about the one-participant thing. A lot of OLY disciplines have more than one participant per country, and it seems to work pretty well. Just keep a straight shootout; no group/RR phases. That reduces any opportunities for hanky-panky. The group/RR experiment assumes a certain level of integrity on the part of all involved; BWF should really have known better! :p

14. thunder.tw

Yes but those are real sports with real federations who would bring down real consequences on any hanky-panky.

15. Fan888

Fan888 Regular Member

If the IOC removes badminton from 2016 onward, we'll look back to today as the moment of truth and have LYB to &#$%.

:crying::crying:

16. twobeer

twobeer Regular Member

computer
    And if more people start following badminton this olympics because of the WD scandal, then you are going to personally thank LYB?? And How the f-ing hell can you blame LYB for the behaviour og the Japaneese girls (that didn't even get disqualified, the sneaky b*rds, but instead got a medal they most likely would not have gotten without throwing a match :) ), or the behaviour of the indonesian-team, and Koreans?? Your hate must be really blind, man!!

#316 twobeer, Aug 1, 2012
  17. thunder.tw

Nonsense, this isn't about LYB or China. The entire badminton community is to blame. From the BWF and the National associations who created this corrupt environment, to the players who where complicit or at the very least silent on the matter (I can think of a few who spoke out but really in the case of TH it was more finger pointing at China than anything else). and to the fans who cheered such actions and accepted such results as legitimate.

18. Fan888

Fan888 Regular Member

Do you seriously believe the audience is going to love badminton after watching pro players hitting birdies into the net and out-of-bound the entire game? That is what they will show on TV and what the audience will see. That is a disgrace!

19. twobeer

twobeer Regular Member

computer
    The thing gets even more embarrasing for both BWF and IOC as there was a meeting with team managers a few days before the olympics started where team managers asked them to reschedule so that the last group stage matches where played simultaneuosly to avoid these kind of scenarios. But IOC/BWF was to lazy, or found it to bothersome to change the schedule at that "late" stage...

/T

20. Fan888

Fan888 Regular Member

Come on. Let's not start with "The entire badminton community is to blame" excuse. Let's be real, there are some bad actors here. Granted LYB isn't the only bad one, plus the Korean and Indonesian coaches too. But LYB is notoriously for such activity in the past.