Laws of Badminton Question: Service

Discussion in 'Rules / Tournament Regulation / Officiating' started by jdcastro, Oct 8, 2007.

1. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    Is a forward stroke the start of a Service stroke or not?

A forward movement/swing of the racket-head, followed by a backward and a forward swing in a Badminton Service is definitely illegal (even if it is in a fluid movement).

This is because the receiver suffers a great disadvantage, that is; the receiver does not know which of the server's forward strokes is the start of the Service.

2. Skanbuzz

Skanbuzz Regular Member

Construction
    Hi
    I just watched Indonesia Djarium super series 2010 and wished to comment as below:

mixed double final: Mateusiak service... isn't it a bit high and also in two movement?

Women single final: Saina Nehwal service also seems above her waist height

I have recently seen alot of juniors playing in open tournament and they copied the pro back hand serve in single and double. A lot of them are above the waist. a recent Danish boy who play in UK also have very strange serve. I hope the European coaches will have a look and address this.

I think tournament organiser or governing body should issue directive to curb these illegal serve otherwise it will get out of hand & we are accuse of being a cheat

A number of the european pro have strange serve too which I am not sure how to interpret them

parhaps someone else can have a look and comment

3. Andy05

Andy05 Regular Member

Badminton Geek
    9.1.5 the whole shuttle shall be below the server's waist at the instant of being hit by the server's racket. The waist shall be considered to be an imaginary line round the body, level with the lowest part of the server's bottom rib;

So the advice is to get rid of a few ribs to get a higher serve.

4. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

What an ingenious way to find a loop-hole to do the Service better

:D:D:D Hahaha......

What an ingenious way to find a loop-hole to do the Service better. ;););)

5. Andy05

Andy05 Regular Member

Badminton Geek
    Just incase you're interested it will cost in the region of $4500 to get a rib removed. Dunno if that means a pair or only 1 off one side...

6. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

One side wouldn't help

One side wouldn't help.
    You will need to remove the lowest ribs on both sides to meet the rules. :D:D:D

7. Ton-Min-Bad

Ton-Min-Bad Regular Member

Is it possible to make a shuttlecock tumble with a legal service?

8. CantSmashThis

CantSmashThis Regular Member

Yes, as long as you do not touch the feathers during service with your racket at any time.

9. Ton-Min-Bad

Yeah, that's the rule. But is it really possible if you consider placement etc.? Do you know anybody doing this?

10. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

That's not quite correct. You are allowed to hit the feathers during serve, but you must hit the base first:

• Hit base only -- okay
    • Hit base, then hit feathers -- okay
    • Hit feathers, then hit base -- fault
    • Hit base and feathers at the same time -- fault
    • Hit feathers only -- fault

Being practical, this rule was invented purely to ban the S-serve. If you're not playing an S-serve, then you should be fine.

If you don't know what an S-serve is, then you're not playing an S-serve. :D

#50 Gollum, Aug 20, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2010
  11. Ton-Min-Bad

Thanks, Gollum! So the S-serve is illegal...

What about a tumbling shuttlecock similar to the net shots played with spin? I don't think that it's possible to do this legally if you consider placement and distance. What do you think?

12. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

You're never going to get the same amount of spin (tumbling), as the serve is played from too far away from the net.

However, you can get the shuttle to "shake" slightly in flight. Side-spin seems to work best for this.

Generally speaking, I'd recommend using only a small amount of slice on the serve, or none at all. Using large amounts of slice can produce some funky serves, but they tend to be wildly inconsistent.

13. Ton-Min-Bad

A friend of mine tries to play his serves with a big tumbling effect lately, but I really can't imagine them being correct.

14. 2wheels04

2wheels04 Regular Member

The latest amended laws from BWF (of June 2010) also read the same.

Thus, the position of a horizontal shaft at the instant the shuttle is hit is illegal.
    As long as the service judge deems the shaft was less than horizontal (slightly downward, that is, any degree below 180), this serve would not be called a fault.

15. 2wheels04

2wheels04 Regular Member

Now see these two services from one player: serve from evens court and from odds court here.

If you are the official on this court, what would be your decision?

#55 2wheels04, Jan 4, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2011
  16. jjashik

jjashik Regular Member

I agree that stricter rules would clarify the situation. I would go further and state that there should be a maximum height of service, rather than individual waist/rib bone that leaves both players and judges nervous. (A piece of white tape on the net would help mark this height.)

But I completely disagree with your notion that serves were not meant as an offensive weapon. That seems the kind of attitude that would be aghast at offensive play like Zhao Jianhua or Lin Dan. Offense is a mind-set and style of play that should be welcomed, if not encouraged. No freebies. Imagine if the past badminton players (say 100 years ago) saw jump smashes. Many of them might think it was "vicious" or "ungentlemanly".

"...horizontal-shaft drive serves are just plain wrong -- counter to the intent & nature of badminton serving."

While I agree that illegal or dubious methods of performing a serve are wrong, I hope you are not saying legal aggressive serves are also "plain wrong", e.g. a drive serve performed legally. If the intent and nature of badminton service is as you say, then the rules should clearly mandate long serves leaving little to the player's imagination.

If every part of the game is to win, whether the smash, the drop, the strategy, deception...etc., then why not begin with the service. It makes poor logic to say that a service must not be aggressive.

17. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

A piece of white tape on the net would help mark this height

:):):) You are only thinking of Badminton for adults.

That piece of white tape on the net (marking the height) would cause children (say, under 12) to serve differently (compared to adults).
    :):):)

18. george_palk

george_palk Regular Member

Computer Engineer
    i agree with chris-ccc. i'm 6' and my regular partner is only 5', so if we are using a tape to mark the height, the entire idea of the service will be diff for both of us.

19. druss

druss Regular Member

I disagree with a uniform serve height as well, just like with most sports, your physical height, strength, speed... etc. makes up how competitive you are. Ok... most asians are short but... they also smash harder, maybe we should put a limit on how hard they're allowed to smash to even it up as well?

Pro players are always on the "edge", they will push the rules as far as they can to gain that edge. Quite frankly I think most pros serve illegally and will continue to do so until a service judge stops them. I really don't care what they got away with in earlier matches, we should not get mad at service judges who actually have the balls to call them on it.

20. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

Hehe - Chia Biao got pulled a good half a dozen times during the MDSF; it got to the point where he was serving and hesitating following it in because he was waiting for the fault call.

Weirdly, Matias Boe wasn't called (as far as I can remember), and his serve is extremely... interesting. If you want to use tape to mark for the benefit of the service judge, the player's shirts should be taped (or else daubed with a stripe of UV ink and the service judge given appropriate eyewear) at the point of the lowest rib:D.