Wang Zhengming ( 王睁茗 )

Discussion in 'China Professional Players' started by 2cents, Apr 17, 2010.

1. volcom

volcom Regular Member

absolutely true!! :cool:

2. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    let krisna,badmania and fang kai xiang recommend u,RIYANTO;)
    i have no comment
    hehe
    this will be one of the top 3 in future;)

3. jamesd20

jamesd20 Moderator

Construction
    http://old.internationalbadminton.org/histranking.asp?rankno=350&id=1 August 22nd to be exact!

Not in 2000 as first stated though:rolleyes:? I agree LD wasn't suited to the 15 point system, but he certainly wasn't dominating in the 5x7 era - he only won one (Korean open)
    How do you know if he is mediocre before he has 2 years experience. Some players come on the scene, win, then disappear.

Lin still took over a year to win a tournament.

4. 2cents

2cents Regular Member

Landlording, providing vacation homes at Disney wo
    I have said many times, that I thought LD came to play after 2000 Olympics, actually I was wrong there, but my point was he take no time to prove hismelf, that's my point. He got the final at his first tournament, that's 2001/10/21 Denmark open. Then he won the Korea open, the highest prized tournament that time, in March 2002. Therefore, Lin Dan did NOT take over a year to win a tournament. It's only within 5 months!

5. 2cents

2cents Regular Member

Landlording, providing vacation homes at Disney wo
  6. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

off topic-Okay...LD was no.1 in 2002....so????..

- Okay, jamesd20 did a more diligent search (as i just skimmed through LD's data).:cool: With that, yeah, i guess BCL became no.1 after that very short-lived no.1 ranking for LD. I know you guys both are pretty big CHN team followers...;)
    - No, i didn't follow any baddy before 2004, unfortunately. Sorry.

#66 ctjcad, Apr 19, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2010
  7. BethuneGuy

BethuneGuy Regular Member

Student
    Don't jump to conclusions so fast. I remember we said the same thing about Tago, Jorgensen, Tommy Sugiarto (long ago), and many more people who caused minor upsets or had one tournament burst. Only time will tell if he can prove himself to be the next Lin Dan.

8. OneToughBirdie

OneToughBirdie Regular Member

engineer
    Exactly...CHN is blessed with so many young talents that these youngsters have just so few chances to prove before they are relegated to the 2nd tier or go find second jobs;) With CHN superleague coming on board, more WZMs will come calling, much like computer industry where every so often something new will be coming out. Like I say, time will tell if WZM stays or bye bye.

9. Thom_bad

Thom_bad Regular Member

Student
    Well, we BCers said Chen Long, Yu Li, Pengyu Du etc were the new Lin Dan but I think LD is really an exception.. What will be proved in the future 'cause none of these youngsters (neither CJ or BCL) will reach the level of play Ld had in his good years...

Wait n see ;)

10. jamesd20

jamesd20 Moderator

Construction
    My last post on this topic!!

BCL won his first tournament!! and look at him now!:D

Seriously though, I still believe you need to see them play against other players for a while now. I still don't think LD really dominated until 2004-present, but we both have our opinions
    No probs, proved us both wrong:mad:

11. Dr. Evil

Dr. Evil Regular Member

Sabar jia you fanatic, sabar. You guys are getting ahead of yourself.

12. tbgoh288

tbgoh288 Regular Member

For those of U who missed the Tago/Zhengming match, here is the link.
    http://watchbadminton.com/video-Zhengming-Wang-vs-Kenichi-Tago-Asia-Championships-2010

Will he be the next Lin Dan? The article below makes quite interesting reading. Personally, I think if he can overcome his tendency for unforced errors he should be up there among the likes of LD, ZJH, YY and LCW
    Zhengming: Style and Substance

November 23, 2008 by badmintonmania

A profile I did on the World Junior Champion for worldbadminton.net:
    [​IMG]
    SELDOM do style and power come in one package. Style and its attendant qualities – grace, skill, delicacy, deftness – are reckoned to be exclusive of the other qualities expected in an athlete: power, toughness, stamina. Few players have had an equal measure of both. Finn Kobbero, one of the greatest of Denmark’s players, was reputedly the most stylish of his time, but he did not have the qualities of toughness and stamina that his more famous compatriot, Erland Kops, did. Kobbero was often recalled as the best player never to have won the All England. Kops, on the other hand, despite his almost mechanical style of playing, set the record for the most number of men’s singles titles at the All England: seven, before he was eclipsed by Rudy Hartono.
    In Wang Zhengming, China seems to have unearthed a gem that has equal measures of both style and power. The youngster won the World Junior Championship at Pune in November, thus adding the world crown to the Asian Junior title that he held. But it was the manner of his victory at Pune that pleased connoisseurs of the sport.
    Moving with fluidity, displaying an attractive variety of strokes, and yet smashing with great power, Zhengming might just be the next big thing in international badminton. He moves lightly, rather like a dancer, and gets into position early. He displays a fine touch, and the arcs that his racquet describe suggest an artist with his paintbrush. His jump smash is a powerful weapon, and he was at his fearsome best in the first game of his semifinal against Guru Sai Dutt, where he decimated the Indian’s defence with his searing smashes.
    Of course, a world junior title does not immediately qualify him as a top player on the senior circuit, but the signs are there. As China’s best young player, he has the system on his side, and its legacy of turning out world champions.
    That Zhengming is the product of such a system is hard to imagine. The Chinese system regularly throws up flawless, superfit athletes, but few with an extravagance of style and grace. Lin Dan and his predecessors, Zhao Jianhua and Yang Yang, are spectacular specimens and stylish in their own way, but did not have that easy grace that the young prodigy possesses.
    Having started playing at 10, Zhengming was interested in several other sports such as football and basketball, but eventually decided to stick with badminton after he began winning junior competitions. He now trains for five to six hours each day at the national academy for juniors on Qing Huang Dao island. It has been two years since he moved to the academy, and he misses his family. “I’m very homesick,” he admits, “but I call them often or keep in touch through the internet.”
    At the team event of the World Juniors, Wang lost the only match he played – against Jen Hao Hsu of Chinese Taipei in three games. In all the following matches, Gao Huan was preferred ahead of him. And yet, in the individual event, Wang was a contrast to the top-seeded Gao – who was made to sweat in two of his matches. Wang, seeded 3/ 4, cruised through, briefly troubled only in the second game of the semifinal, where his smash deserted him. In the final, he roundly thrashed Gao, who had simply no answers to his variety and skill. Whatever Gao has, Wang has in greater measure: his defence is excellent, and he can create points with lesser effort than his compatriot.
    Whether Wang will eventually move to a higher league is hard to tell. At the moment, though, his success augurs well for the future, for it tells us style has as much place in the international game as power, speed and the other elements of the game.

13. pBmMalaysia

pBmMalaysia Regular Member

badminton coach
    tbgoh288, that was great contributions!

14. tbgoh288

tbgoh288 Regular Member

PbmMalaysia,
    glad to share the article with U and other badminton fans.
    Tago did well in the AE because he exploited his tight net play to the maximum to force his opponents to lift the shuttle for him to do his fast kills down the lines. In Zhenming he found an opponent with just as good touches at the net, if not better. He was beaten in his own game. Zhenming can cover the court better with his fluid movement and better physical attributes . His beautiful footwork and better reach means he need not expand too much energy. Zhengming also has a good defence in addition to his booming smashes and his repertoire of strokes. His main weakness is that he tends to loose easy points through unforced errors. WZM, Tago, Tian HW,Gao Huan, Zhang Shen I believe represent the future of Asian Badminton, if not the world.Follow the link below to watch Gao Huan and Zhang Shen play. There are both 19 years old.
    http://v.ttymq.com/index.php/video/index/1102
    Click on the Guo Nei Pi Sai icon.( 国内比赛)

15. Thom_bad

Thom_bad Regular Member

Student
    tbgoh288 i guess your Location isn't Malasia but Malaysia no ?

16. tbgoh288

tbgoh288 Regular Member

Yes I Am in Malaysia

17. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

- I saw the video of his match vs. Tago (finally saw him play) and from what i can conclude, he's court movements and reactions are not as fast. Or maybe he was pacing himself/that's not as fast as he could go. Yes, his footwork and court coverage are not bad (partly because of his length & reach).
    - Is he as tall as Chen Long? In some ways, WZM's style of game reminds me of Chen Long's. In some ways, remind me of BCL's style of game, except WZM is a righty.
    - Yes, i believe those young players will represent the future....after LD, BCL and CJ retire, of course..:cool:
    * thanks for sharing the video links..

#77 ctjcad, Apr 20, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2010
  18. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

..i thought this thread should be put in the China Professional Players sub-forum??..

19. volcom

volcom Regular Member

CL's footwork is worse than WZM in my opinion.... and he never gets in a good position to actually smash strongly. CL's smashes are similar to CJ's, both lak real killer sting.... and a bit like BCL with good angles.

20. Thom_bad

Thom_bad Regular Member

Student
    You can change, in the user CP, on the left, there's an "edit profile" button ;)