How long do your strings last?

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by ttktom, Oct 15, 2003.

?

how long does your string last you?

1. less than 2 weeks.

2 vote(s)
    5.9%
  2. 2 weeks - 1 month

5 vote(s)
    14.7%
  3. 1-2 months

7 vote(s)
    20.6%
  4. 2-3 months

5 vote(s)
    14.7%
  5. 3-6 months

5 vote(s)
    14.7%
  6. more than 6 months

10 vote(s)
    29.4%
  1. Yoppy

Yoppy Regular Member

That sound right, mine broke last week also after about 5 and a half month at 28lbs. I wonder what racket did you use?

2. drew tze en

drew tze en Regular Member

surprisingly
    My Nanospeed 800 which I bought in February the strings haven't broke yet but I can see the fibers of the string breaking at 11 o'clock

3. imumedicine

imumedicine Regular Member

i think the best string i've used so far is yonex bg 66 all england string. though it's a little costly but it has the best feel and it doesn't really last for a hard smasher like me. 1.5 months and it's gone. that's also i play just 2x/week and perhaps very few among all of u guys. and it stilld oesn't last.

best string that held up for >6 months is this pro ace string. strung on my ashaway racket at 26lb. > 6 months already. hasn't shown sign of breaking yet. but maybe as well i haven't used this racket for ages. haha

4. moore_shady

moore_shady Regular Member

has anyone tried with Ti-10, like what string from Yonex suits it most?

I am looking at offensive player view..

5. Andy05

Andy05 Regular Member

Badminton Geek
    I have a racquet strung 31x33 (lbs) with NG95 and it has lasted me 6 months so far, but it is fraying and I am going to restring it this weekend.
    My other racquet I barely use has BG65Ti and it has lasted nearly a year now at 28lbs (strung by a friend so don't know the crosses and mains). It isn't at 28lbs anymore, and I am going to restring that this weekend too.
    Before these 2 racquets I normally break my strings once a month.

6. PopsiclePete

PopsiclePete Regular Member

I've had to switch from bg80 to bg 65/65-ti's as I was snapping every month. I'm on about a month on my racquets right now, strung all 26x28 or higher.

7. dunmaster

dunmaster Regular Member

I have experienced winter effect here for the string.

I normally use Zymax 62 and NBG98, @26x28lbs. ZM 62 will last about 6-8x 3-hr sessions, and NBG 98 about 10-12x 3-hr sessions. However, over the last few months, I could only get ~2x 3-hr sessions on ZM 62, and about 6x 3-hr sessions for NBG98. I normally don't get mis-hits, and break in the upper-middle section of string bed.

8. moore_shady

moore_shady Regular Member

does choosing strings also include how head heavy or head light a racket is? I planning on using BG80 on a head light racket..is it suitable?

9. Yoppy

Yoppy Regular Member

Not for me, i dont know about others :)

10. johnlowe88

johnlowe88 Regular Member

IT Consultant
    I used to break strings quite regularly, then I bought a stringing machine to do my own restrings and I stopped breaking strings. They fray in the middle and in the end I usually restring them when they start getting worn halfway through. I guess this means that I stopped mis-hitting, or that my stringing has an even tension. With uneven tension, one string will slide across another, and then eventually break. Could also be that I use quite a low tension, but have a new racquet, strung at 22lb so will see how this goes, as I am now mis-hitting a lot (changing from oval to iso and different weight).

11. Swingbadabada

Swingbadabada Regular Member

Student
    I just snapped some within 6hours of getting them done :( strung lower aswell, grr.

12. Tealor

Tealor Regular Member

Gov. official
    I'm a recreation player so i'm finding string tension that suitable for me. I've tried a lots 20,22,23 lbs and 25lbs for my head heavy racket.

when I play at 23 lbs about 2 months (some one told me that's I'm good at technique and footwork but string tension is too high for me and I should play about 16 lbs, but I played ok for own estimation), then I play at 20 lbs I play bad on drops and error placement expected.

So now I don't know what is my problem. Is it string tension or other problem?
    Does some one guide me which tension is suitable for me. It's should be good for me next string

Thanks

#532 Tealor, Feb 6, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2011
  13. erictung

erictung Regular Member

I would definitely say that if your technique and footwork is decent, 21-23 is not a problem at all. String tensions of 21-23 is ideal for starters. That "someone" did not give the correct advice because I have never seen strings under 18 lbs (the 18 lbs came from old-no name brands that costs like 20 dollars). It shouldn't be a technique problem, try 22 lbs.

14. Tealor

Tealor Regular Member

Gov. official
    Thank you, erictung. That's good reason I should try next string.

15. sepang

sepang Regular Member

Tealor, you can not just consider the tension without consider string. If you use thinner string, then you can go higher on tension.
    String makes lot of different.
    I would suggest you to lower 1lb on your current string tension. If the string tension is right, you should not feel your arm is hurt when you swing from back court to back court.
    drop and placement can be adjusted once you get used to the tension.

16. Sevex

Sevex Regular Member

Academia, CFD/ wind engineering
    Just to clarify this statement, are you saying that thin strings should be strung at higher tensions to get the same feel as thick strings at a lower tension? If you are than you have things back to front. Thick strings will feel "softer" at the same tension as a thin string.

For example Ashaway zymax 62 (string thickness 0.62mm) strung at 24lbs feels about the same (to me) as Ashaway zymax 70 (string thickness 0.70mm) at 28 lbs. Zymax 70 strung at 24lbs is very soft compared to the zymax 62 at a tension of 24lbs.

17. sepang

sepang Regular Member

I agree that you will feel thickness string is softer as compare to thinner string at the same tension level. As you continue to increase the tension to a certain level, you will feel that it is required more muscle power to handle thickness string than thinner string.

Higher tension generates stronger smash power. At the same time, it is required stronger arm to handle higher tension. I play comfortably with NBG98 at 25lb and play BG65 at 23lb. If I play BG65 at 25lb, I need extra muscle strength to handle it. Same muscle strength, I can go higher tension on thinner string. That's what I mean.

#537 sepang, Jun 3, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2011
  18. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

1hr VS850 @ 28lbs...:(

19. sepang

sepang Regular Member

Can you post the broken string? My guess that the person who strings the racket is not doing the proper job.

20. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

I am fairly confident that it was strung correctly, seeing as the national team use the same stringer :rolleyes: so i have full confidence in the stringers ability. The thing is i hadnt mishit so far...

I cut the strings immediately anyway to prevent stress on the frame. So no picks