New Victor Racquet - The Meteor X80 ( MX80 )

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by Sealman, Dec 19, 2010.

1. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

I'll tell you what - if I could have Winston stock only two Victors, they'd be the MX80 and BS10. No two better examples to start with:).

2. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Hmmm I think a softer Bravesword would be a better example actually, but it's two great rackets to start selling Victor with :)
    I guess the next should be SW37, BS12, MX70 - to accomodate those with arms softer than steel ;)
    Used the MX a few weeks back for one session - incredible. Smashes were at 60-70% (at least felt like that), but drives and defense were unbelievable. I guess it's a super rewarding racket if you're not too concerned about max power and have a quicker swing than I do....
    For me, the softer BS range is ideal as I can get incredible power out of short swings and even increase my already impressive range by gripping a bit lower than with a head heavier model. Coming from a short stint (until the first break) to head heavy models I believe you should choose your racket according to your strengths, and work on your weaknesses by training them rather than try to even out strengths and weaknesses by getting a racket to improve a weak area.
    My smashes are certainly better with my BS09 than with 80-90% of the other rackets lying around in my room. And with the fresh 28x30 BG66UM, it should be breathtaking - can't wait to test it out tomorrow :)

PS: Anyone in Europe needing an MX80? Mine's collecting dust as we speak^^ Grip and string can be changed free of labour (i.e. only material paid).
    Also, if something feels 'right', stick with it. Don't change. There's nothing better than having a racket in your hand that feels like an extension of your arm, even if you have to admit any errors made are your own and not due to a weakness of the racket :D

3. BlueTornado

BlueTornado Regular Member

I agree with choosing a racket to play to your strengths - the Cai Yun theory hasn't worked out so well for me. I love my BS11's way more than my old 900P!

It's good to see that the MX80 is an improvement on the Arc8DX, cause I really like mine. When I tried it, the MX80 seemed like it would suit my game well, it just had a way too high tension. 28 pounds with the added 1-2 pound feel from Meteors was too much to handle. Its stiffness might be too much too, shaft stiffness doesn't bother my arm like too high tension does but it'll prevent me from getting enough power. So hopefully my new MX60 and Pro 9000 will offer a good balance! I'd love to give the MX80 another go in the future though.

#2103 BlueTornado, May 20, 2012
    Last edited: May 20, 2012
  4. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Cai Yun theory? As in, choosing a racket that usually would be considered bad for your style of play?
    I don't know, world class players can't really be judged by normal standards - they all seem to use anything they feel comfortable with. I find Septano/Ahsan the funniest - the back court player using the NS9900, and the net player the VT70....I was quite confused when I saw that particular combination the first time, wondering why they were so comfortable in their weaker formation :D

Anyway, if the MX80 felt a little stiff, giving a softer Meteor a go is a good decision, although personally I would've tried the MX70 first. Not only is it not an eyesore, I also fear that a little of that crisp Meteor-feeling might be lost the softer the shaft gets...and as the MX was so quick, I didn't need much more 'help' from the shaft. Similar to the BS10, which I find to be very powerful, because the quickness and stiff shaft work well together for me.

5. BlueTornado

Well not necessarily bad for your style of play, but just like what you were saying before - choosing a racket to make up for your shortcomings and even out the strengths and weaknesses.

What, you don't like that bright yellow??! :p All the good reviews on the MX60 were too much to resist and I got it at a better price than I would have from Eric :eek::D I think it'll be a good companion to the BS11.

While I do love MX80's stiffness for the power and especially for the pinpoint control since I play a lot of forecourt, I didn't think it'd be the best choice for when I have to smash a lot in the back or in singles. I'll probably try it again later after I play with some new toys and demos that I have coming in first :D

6. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

The M80's height is the only thing stopping me getting one - 300+ is too tall for all-round doubles. If I've said it once, I've said it a thousand times: Victor needs an extra-stiff head-light on its books. Oh, and they need a G5-equivalent grip size.

7. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

It's definitely not too head heavy for doubles. The Victor numbers can't always be trusted, remember all the Braveswords had 300+ ratings...it's head heavy, but only slightly. The AT900T, a wide-spread doubles racket, is way heavier.

8. visor

visor Regular Member

^^ j4ckie is correct. The mx80's dry bp is around 292-295mm but feels 5mm less as it swings faster due to the octablade aero design.

Mark A get one, you don't know what you've been missing! ;)

9. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

Hmm... I got some G5 handles lying around; I suppose I could do a transplant and stuff one with weights to get 285...

10. blackcaz

blackcaz Regular Member

-
    im about to buy another racket , its either mx 80 or 60 . saw alot of good reviews of mx 80 in terms of good smashes and sharpness but im afraid that i could not handle the stiffness of it . im currently using apacs lethal 50 which i think is stiff , how much more stiffer is the mx 80 ? does anyone knows ?

11. Maklike Tier

Maklike Tier Regular Member

Unoccupied
    I recommend the 60. It's just a nicer feeling racket.

12. visor

visor Regular Member

It really depends on your play style, swing speed and explosiveness. I have all three: mx80, 70, 60... and I very much prefer 80 for its directness and immediacy which is incredible for tactical play. When I need a tad more power at the expense of accuracy, the 70 is what I pick up. The 60, meh, not for me despite all those "glowing" reviews. So YMMV.

13. BlueTornado

What happened to your Pro 9k? / where does it fit in to your needs nowadays relative to the 80 and 70?

14. visor

visor Regular Member

At the same wt and bp, my Pro9k is just a tad flexier than mx70, making it more user friendly in terms of accessible power yet quite accurate, but it is also slower due to less aero cross section.

The mx60 is just way too flexy for me... the racket head and shaft lag completely throws off my timing.

15. BlueTornado

Do you still find the 9k more accurate than the 70? (Trying to see if a 70 is worth getting or just the 80)

You selling the 60? :D

#2115 BlueTornado, May 25, 2012
    Last edited: May 25, 2012
  16. visor

visor Regular Member

Hard to say... they're so close. But I do prefer the 70 more as it's faster despite being head heavier. Get both 80 and 70 and decide for yourself! For me both are among some of the very best rackets from Victor. I select one or the other depending on my mood, play style, and my opponents.

The 60 I'm thinking of putting up for sale as it's not working out with me, but I'd prefer locally.

17. BlueTornado

Hm.. my next Eric purchase won't be for quite awhile and I'm pretty sure MX80 and SW35 will be in it - both felt really nice. Hard to justify a 3rd, even as much as I love that icy blue look (could you tell that blue is my favorite color??! :p)

18. blackcaz

blackcaz Regular Member

-
    is the mx 80 easier to play with than yonex vt 80 ? i had played with vt 80 , but felt hard to play with especially when i got tired .

19. Soybean

Soybean Regular Member

Well it depends on the player but yes, I think the MX80 is easier to handle the the VT80, but thats just me haha.

Just ordered mine! It came prestrung by seller with VS850 at 23 lbs... I might have to increase tension in the future but I'll see how it works for me.

20. whenry

whenry Regular Member

yesss MX 80 is easier to handle than VT 80. I can't afford to play with VT 80 after one game. But MX 80 has also a negative side, it is too stiff for me, and causing elbow pain. I bought BS LYD, it is very good