OG12 MEN's Singles Finals

Discussion in 'Olympics LONDON 2012' started by sonnymak, Aug 7, 2012.

1. kelana

kelana Regular Member

globalresearch.ca
    c'mon julianng, open your eyes, and your mind widely...

at the level of plays as displayed by both Lin Dan and Lee Chong Wei at the Grand Finale and those preceding matches on the way to the final, no other player can beat them!

Neither Chen Long, Sho Sasaki, Lee Hyung Il, Taufik Hidayat, or Soni Kuntjoro....

Not in that Olympics race definitely (perhaps they have some chances to beat the Duo in the more ordinary tournament)

LD and LCW simply outclass the rest!

And one does not need to be an expert in badminton to realize this fact... again, just need to open your eyes, and your mind widely ;) don't spoil your 2-year stay at BC

2. julianng

julianng Regular Member

lol, if my stay is spoiled, that means, you shouldn't abuse your admin at BC too ftw, (if you are admin).

yea, maybe at this venue these 2 players would win definitely but it doesn't matter if it's WC or OG actually. Other players might do well at other venues even if it's WC or OG. Different atmosphere could change everything for different players. YOu should also open eyes and mind widely on this Mr. Kelana.

3. BaggedCat

BaggedCat Regular Member

Video Games Designer
    The drift beat LCW not LD. He played well on one side and crap* on the other and just could not adapt quick enough, hitting stuff out and leaving clears drop in. His last shot tells it all. LD didn't smash an unreturnable awesome shot. LCW just hit it out. LD just waited for him to make mistake.

*not as good.

4. geordie

geordie Regular Member

Manager
    Murray hired Ivan Lendle. That is the diff between his Gold and LCW's silver. LCW has been let dwn by the BAM, plain and simple. Coaches, good ones make all the difference. Get LCW a real Coach and let's see how he will perform against lin dan. Get a China Coach. I am sure there will be one or two who will come. LCW has paid in sweat and blood for many years to BAM, now its pay back time. Without a coach that is the same level as those that lin dan has, all these talk about who is superior is just talk. Please BAM, for the sake of your dutiful son, do something!!

5. julianng

julianng Regular Member

Maybe they should hire xia xuanze for a change. He looks like someone LCW could use.

6. pjswift

pjswift Regular Member

Agree. Actually LCW shouldn't bother about WC, AG or OG anymore unless he can get Morten Frost as consultant coach for tactics, one month before tournament. It s the tactics that count.

7. tbgoh288

tbgoh288 Regular Member

Disagree. He should hire Xia as his coach, LYB as his strategist and LD as his sparring partner

8. tbgoh288

tbgoh288 Regular Member

What about the first set when LD hit 12 to 14 shots out when he was playing on the side where LCW played crap? Did the drift won the set for LCW too?

9. badders2006

badders2006 Regular Member

I agree the drift played a huge part in the outcome of the match. The shuttle which dropped in to give LD 19-19. The shuttle which went long to give LD the Gold.

Both players had equal exposure to the drift. That's why they change ends at half way in the rubber game.

LD simply coped with the drift better than LCW.

10. sonnymak

sonnymak Regular Member

I started this thread for discussion on tactics, techniques and what both players have brought to the Badminton world that have not been seen before they came to the top. Instead we get lots of discussion on whether AE is a major tournament or that who should hire who to coach. keep it on the Badminton side of the view.

11. indrg

indrg Regular Member

If BAM really appreciates LCW, they should bring in coach Tang Xiang Hu, the legendary coach behind Lin Dan's success and Alan BK, Ardi BW in Indonesia. What if he stays in Indonesia and become the head coach... Indonesia Govt' screwed him. He paid the money but they did not deliver him the citizenship. What a corrupt Govt & racist a country I am not proud of.

-Indra​

12. BaggedCat

BaggedCat Regular Member

Video Games Designer
    "Did the drift won the set for LCW too?" - No. the person playing with the drift lost. Thats the point. Both players made mistakes on the crap side due to the drift and lost that set. But LD adjusted in the 3rd, LCW was still being affected. in the 3rd he still left shots drop in thinking they were out and still over hit shots or lifted so short LD punished them. where as all LD did was keep the shuttle in play and waited for LCW mistake.

13. geordie

geordie Regular Member

Manager
    TBGOG - I want to agree with you....to be successful, you need the whole network. I saw a LCW training video whereby he had 3-4 players sparing with him. I've never seen LD sparing with 3-4 Chinese players. Perhaps, there are many Chinese players who could trouble LD a bit during training. A Chinese coach will bring in his kaki from his old network, as a whole, Badminton in Malaysia will benefit. Our Table Tennis in Singapore had one silver and two bronze due to this system. And we will see many younger Singaporeans come up the ladder that is nurtured by this network. MF for Strategy of course. I am a fan of LCW and for anyone who is a romantic, a LCW win in the next Olympics will really be a big story for Badminton.

Thanks Sonnymak for starting a great thread.

14. **KZ**

**KZ** Regular Member

Student
    is it a true fact that the men's singles finals for badminton at london 2012 was the most watched olympic event in history? Heard that from some sources

15. BaggedCat

BaggedCat Regular Member

Video Games Designer
    no. that would be the mens 100m finals.

Unless you meant
    "is it a true fact that the men's singles finals for badminton at london 2012 was the most watched olympic badminton event in history?

16. tbgoh288

tbgoh288 Regular Member

Thanks. You have helped me to identify one more aspect of LD's game which, with due respect to LCW, is marginally better than that of the latter. Obviously LD can adjust to playing conditions better and faster and is a smarter player. His playing safe in the last few points is testimony to that. In a tight match like the OG finals, this is one aspect of the game that separates a super champion from a champion.

17. pjswift

pjswift Regular Member

So basically, you re just insistent that LD must be superior to LCW in more than one aspect. Let me point one area where LD is superior and that is crowd support. Yesterday I watched the OG finals for the first time and also happened to have the time to watch the Korea SS12. The drift wasn't that bad in Korea Open. In Korea Open, LCW lost G1 and was trailing G2 when he made a surge (like LD in G3 of OG) to close out G2. Then in G3, after a neck to neck early stage, LD fell apart ( or lost interest, if you re a LD fan) and gave away G3. So why did LD lose to LCW after a bright start in Korea Open? It s the lack of crowd support. Hardly any ' jia Yu ' was heard while there was a small group of happy LCW fans going 'LCW, LCW, LCW' right until the end of the match. They were having a lot of fun cheering! Whereas in OG, it was 'LD jia Yu' all the way in G3, so loud and dominant, you could be forgiven if you thought the match was in China. And where were the 27+ core MAS officials specially sent to support LCW? Couldn't they even squeak in 'LCW, LCW' after the 'jia Yu' chorus at the end stage of the finals? That would have made the difference! LD won just in time because the CHN fans emptied their lungs out and the MAS fans thought they had done enough when LCW was ahead at 18. Anyone who plays back Boonsak Ponsana s last three matches in SGPO, will note he won his matches (when he could have lost) to fans support at the closing stage.What is overlooked in all the comparisons is the fact that LD worked four years for this match whilst LCW only had two weeks to train. How did LCW manage to play at such a high level two months after a dreadful injury that BC coaches said he should kiss OG goodbye? What unique qualities does LCW have that made him achieve the impossible? Perhaps it s time for Chris cc, Pbm and extremepower to offer their wisdom.

18. bad's fan

bad's fan Regular Member

so, LCW lost to LD's fans?

19. pjswift

pjswift Regular Member

I can teach children to read English in 10 lessons but I must admit I cannot raise your intelligence if you don t use it properly.

20. bad's fan

bad's fan Regular Member

sorry, wrong words. i mean: so, LCW lost because LD's fans?