Playing badminton in Valencia, CA

Discussion in 'USA West' started by baddyfan, Jun 17, 2008.

1. allybe

allybe New Member

Hi Im just staying in Valencia for 4 weeks and would love to get a few games of badminton with intermediate players. Did the link to Saugus School come good for anyone here? Are any of you playing regularly?

2. lufeilin

lufeilin New Member

chemist
    Hi:
    Any one know where we can play badminton in Santa Calrita area?
    Please let me know. Thanks!
    Lufei

3. rsumale

rsumale New Member

interior design consultant
    I'm looking for players myself. I know we can use the basketball court or racquetball court at the sports complex near the acquatic center in Santa Clarita. Have you already found a group to play?

4. rsumale

rsumale New Member

Hi there. I just called the Santa Clarita sports complex and they rent out 2 of their racquetball courts for 7$ an hour per person on weekdays and $9 on the weekends. Do you have a regular group that you play with? I'm trying to put a group together to play with if you're interested. Hope to get replies regarding this:)

5. pramana

pramana Regular Member

The squash/ racketball courts are not wide enough. Plus the lights are too bright.

If you are serious to gather badminton player, please visit Saugus High School. Try to get availability schedule for coaches/ school principal. The gym has good facility for badminton and screen divider which separates the badminton courts to the basketball/ volleyball courts.

6. rsumale

rsumale New Member

thanks for the tip. Have you played there before? Do you know anyone who plays there?

7. Newhall12

Newhall12 New Member

Broker
    Greetings baddyfan

:D Is there a group in Santa Clarita that plays regularly? If so, how frequently do you play?

Many thanks for your reply. I am hoping there is as my husband and I would play regularly!

Regards,

Newhall12

8. octina

octina New Member

Hello, I was wondering if there is already a group or some individuals that would want to get together to play badminton in the valencia/santa clarita? I only play for fun and used to play a lot years ago. Thanks!

9. pramana

pramana Regular Member

Until we are confirmed to get steady schedule to play in certain gym, it is unlikely there is a group in the area.

I had tried to apply for permanent schedule (weekend especially) in Saugus High School, but suddenly the school district is getting involved on my proposal. As expected, they played hard games by wanting me to provide unrealistic proof of liability insurance (US$1 million), plus an IRS documents which show if my group is not a profit organization :rolleyes:

I am not sure why it is so difficult to get access for this sport?

10. octina

octina New Member

Thanks pramana!

Sorry to hear that you had to go through all that.....I agree, why does it have to be so difficult? An option is to get a net and place it somewhere at a park, but I prefer the solid ground of a gym. :confused:

11. pramana

pramana Regular Member

If you are serious to play, you may join us at Pierce College on Saturday around 6:00PM -11:00PM.
    Otherwise, you may join Los Angeles Valley College or Santa Monica College around late afternoon on Sunday.

12. octina

octina New Member

I may have to do that one of these Saturdays, pramana! Thanks for the invite. Wish there was one closer, but :rolleyes:.....How many are in your group? You guys are probably a lot better than me. I just love to play...

13. berniebrook

berniebrook New Member

Hi, please add our family to the list of interested parties. We have a 15 year old son attending Saugus High who is interested in playing.

14. pramana

pramana Regular Member

Bernie:

Since your son is attending the SHS, can you help us by talking to the coaches to arrange probably 3-4 hours per day of a evening week to use the gym for badminton?

I think it is easier to pull the schedule from the inside, rather than we apply the permit and get kick-around again?

15. Newhall12

Newhall12 New Member

Broker
    Hey Guys:

The liability insurance would run ~$600 per year. If we played once a week it amounts to $11.54 per week. Depending upon how many play, we could divide it evenly. If we had six couples, it would amount to approximately $2/couple per week. It would be ~$25 a quarter per couple based upon quarterly premiums. We could also base it per person since there will be singles wanting to play, too.

Someone else will need to research the 501 (c)(3) issue. Hope this helps! (My husband is in corporate risk management and obtained the quote for me.)

16. berniebrook

berniebrook New Member

It is my intention to talk with my son's PE couch and maybe even a couple of the administration about SHS forming a badminton team and the possibility of outsiders using the facility. (I don't have high hopes for non-students to gain access... but who knows) It will have to wait until school is back in session next month.

17. BadFanLa

BadFanLa New Member

Self Employed
    Need Players interested to play Badminton in Valencia

Hello Folks,

I am a new member to this forum. My wife and I have been playing badminton for a few months now and would love to have a facility close to home to play. Last year I had talked to the Athletic Director at College of the Canyons in Valencia, and he had suggested I talk to one of his assistants. Since then I have contacted the SCBA ( Southern California Badminton Assoc) and the VP has sent me an e-mail today, suggesting that I formulate a list of atleast 40 people, preferably local residents who are interested in playing on a regular basis. We would need the Name address and contact information of all person interested, so as to do a petetion. He woul help us get the ball rolling, as he has done several such locations;
    most recently they have added a facility in Calabasas. This sort of stuff takes time and has to go through the right channels, but if SCBA is succesfull we will have a facility in Valencia. I need help in getting this info and passing it on the VP of SCBA...:)

18. pramana

pramana Regular Member

College of Canyon does not have badminton court lines inside the gym. There are two high schools in the valley which have badminton court lines, Saugus and Valencia.

19. BadFanLa

BadFanLa New Member

Self Employed
    COC had Badminton classes for beginners last year in their schedule of classes. One of the picture I came acrosss in their newsletter shows the Taping done on the gym floor. Although I haven't personally visited the inside of the facility, I have been told by SCBA, that once the facility gives us the permission, taping of court floor could be done. Of all the facilities I know of in So cal, none is a High school. But since you have mentioned it, I will let SCBA know that two High schools ion this area have this. Lets see how they want to proceed. Any suggestions on gathering and formulating an interest list for use in petition?

#39 BadFanLa, Aug 12, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2009
  20. pramana

pramana Regular Member

If you followed my previous posts, there were two issues stopped me from pursuing this project:
    1. The city of Santa Clarita asked me to provide IRS documents if we were non-profit organization, since we gathered a group of people to perform activities, which in this case is badminton sports. Otherwise, the city will charge $$$ to reserve the gym per event.
    2. $1 millions dollars liability insurances address to the gym.
    There were other minors clauses, which I was not too concerns.

So, let me know if there is anything I can assist you to pursuit this project again ;)