2013 Controversies at Korean Open - forced withdrawals

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Thuan Keat, Jan 8, 2013.

1. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    This...............

#21 Cheung, Jan 9, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2013
  2. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

It's easier (and more logical) for china to spend $1000 sending each player to Korea, than it is spending $5000 to withdraw each player. I wouldn't look at it as. China's fault if the BWF impose rules on player participation. The last tournament was 3 weeks ago, when has any of these players had a proper chance to rest, recover and then train again?

3. speedyJT

speedyJT Regular Member

Software Engineer
    This!
    Sen for BWF President! :D

4. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Split off some posts from Victor Open thread Day 1.

LYB mocks BWF?

5. rogerv2

rogerv2 Regular Member

Have you taken up intensive badminton before?
    If you have then you would know that training is so much more taxing to the body than in competition where one plays a match per day which is a walk in the park for most players.

3 weeks off is like heaven but the players never stop training as their stamina will go down especially at their level.

6. rogerv2

rogerv2 Regular Member

BWF should change the way players register for tournament. No need to go through the association.

This will never happen in Asia, sports politics.

7. scorpion1

scorpion1 Regular Member

Exciting one
    3 weeks off is more than enough. Nearly a month. So, BWF need to do some quick steps to eradicate this wrong practice as soon as possible. Only way to do that is heavy fine and ban. BWF hearing this??:confused:

8. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

Nah, I've never actually played badminton before :rolleyes:

I think you miss the point that it's financially better for the team to pay $1000 each to sen them to Korea as opposed to paying $5000 for them to train at home!

BWF need to take responsibility as well, they've introduced this controversial rule after all.

9. eaglehelang

eaglehelang Regular Member

One obvious case is Msia's Tan Chun Seang, his ban by BAM just lifted or rather shortened from 2 years to 1.5 years. He can now play in tournaments in Asia

10. eaglehelang

Wah LD rules, you calculated the cost of flight tickets & hotel is it?:D China to Korea isnt far, so not very expensive and dont need long flight.

11. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

Exactly it isn't that far, so $500 vs $5000 which one makes more sense? :D

12. eaglehelang

Since you mention, I did a quick google, flight cost around USD250 to USD350(one way I think), depending which airline. Flight takes 1 hr 45 min. Hotel, lets say USD100 per day,assuming they stay 2 to 3 days. Total : USD1,050 not including food & other expenses. Registration for tournament entry forgot is how much

#32 eaglehelang, Jan 9, 2013
  13. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

I wouldn't be surprised if the China team get a discount on flights, seeing as the badminton & table tennis association is bankrolled by the government. :)

Think it's $250 for registration (although not 100%)

14. sen

sen Regular Member

I meant it is easy to give thousands of reasons of withdrawals. Of course guilty verdict need not absolute proofs. As for me giving example of bandages, I am just giving examples that it is easy to get away from the accusation.

As for sports politics, that is true there is politics and it is hard to change but I will not say it will never happen because willpower can overcome everything.

But many fan are not aware that it is not the players fault. They blamed the players when actually the players are rather powerless at the moment.

15. boon_keng

boon_keng Regular Member

players need a union or association amongst themselves...........much like tennis, nba, nfl.........doing this potentially might raise the level of badminton (both monetary and respect)

16. Jonc108

Jonc108 Regular Member

Unfortunately players like LCW and SN also did once not long time ago.... :D

#36 Jonc108, Jan 9, 2013
  17. AlanY

AlanY Regular Member

what i think happening is Team China try to force the issue and put the ball back to BWF's court about that ridiculous and silly rule with the SSP.

how many other sports you know that if you're good you're forced to enter certain tournaments?
    even with injuries you are still needs to make appearance and for some to travel half way round the globe?

similar to the Olympics, between KOR, CHN and INA they forced bwf to change the other silly rule re group matches.

18. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

Your memory is a bit short my friend, Saina did the exact same thing at the last tournament!

19. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

There already is but you don't really think players from CHina or Korea or other big nations would join it do you ... ?

This "rule" is almost a carbon copy of the one in tennis, you think BWF could come up with that themselves :D? It is there to sell the tv rights (and attract sponsors): if you can "guarantee" the presence of the top 10 players it makes the product more valuable ... The execution though is amateuristic in comparison. Who could come up with starting the season with a Premier Super Series??? In the Korean winter as well :rolleyes: ...

#39 demolidor, Jan 9, 2013
  20. sen

sen Regular Member

We will never know the reasons of why CBA prefers to send players and lose the 1st round.

It could be to avoid the fines and someone said it is cheaper than paying the fines.

But there is also ranking points to be considered, not to the players who retire(the ranking points they get probably won't be calculated) but by doing that, they would not make it easy to earn ranking points for those whose rank is not high.(the players who have to go through qualifier round). This reason of course is rather weak.

#40 sen, Jan 9, 2013