Ankle Injury :(

Discussion in 'Injuries' started by bradmyster, Jun 24, 2009.

1. bradmyster

bradmyster Regular Member

Customer server network Support
    Hey everyone
    Been training so hard the last 6 months and gained a few achievement and goals. Firstly as i wanted i had reached A/Open grade level...actually 6 months earlier than expected. Was also accepted back into the Queensland (My state) training squad.

Began competing in the Gold Coast Open tournament here in australia and was on track to take out the A grade title. Won my first match in straight sets against a strong indonesian player. Was not expecting to beat him and he was a favorite to make the final.

During my second match which was an Open grade match i went for a big jump smash and landed a bit off balance.. MY ankle folded under my body weight and unfortunately that was the end of my tournament.

Due to the amount of swelling nothing showed up on the xray and just to be safe the doctors have put my leg in a full cast. I go back to the hospital on this friday to get the cast off and get it scanned for ligament damage and another xray to see if there is any bone breaks.

At this stage after a few days i have full movement back with minimal pain. So its looking good. Hopefully its just a heavy sprain and nothing worse. I still have mysights set on nationals next year.

Iv attached some pictures of my cast lol
    Wish me luck :) im not giving up.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

#1 bradmyster, Jun 24, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 24, 2009
  2. bradmyster

sorry i dont know how to resize the image.

3. Jing09

Jing09 Regular Member

Student
    Ahh! Demon! Red eyes! Haha just kidding. Aw man, that's horrible to injure yourself when you are just getting into a great badminton career. Take it easy for now :] hope you have a fast healing!

4. venkatesh

venkatesh Regular Member

editor
    OUCH! That must have hurt.

But not to worry. It's often said that quarter pounders and French fries can make a person heal fast. :D :D :D

5. findecano1

findecano1 Regular Member

Customer Service Exec
    Ouch been there with that injury. Wish you get well soon.

6. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    What I am concerned about is the loss of muscle mass in your legs. But nothing much you can do.

Also, there will be loss of proprioception from the joint. That will take time to retrain. I've suffered a lot from ankle injuries and roll over on it quite a bit. The ligaments are loosened from repeated rolling because of poor footwork in my younger days.

Get better quick but don't push yourself too much too soon ;) [I think I said that before].

7. venkatesh

venkatesh Regular Member

editor
    Aaaahhhh :(. The pic was resized already. Now nobody can see the quarter pounder and the French fires I'm talking about. :D

What kind of doctor did you have a consultation with?
    Because when it comes to rehabilitation, you should have gone to a physiatrist.

If you go to a surgeon, he'd advise a surgery.
    If you go to an orthopedist, he'd advise for a cast.

A physiatrist knows more in rehabilitating injuries.
    At least, based on my experience.

8. bradmyster

all good guys the cast was just a precaution.
    Had my cast off yesterday and saw the orthopedic surgeon. He said he was happy with how it looks and it seems to just be a heavy sprain.
    Im starting physio next week and it seems with physio for round 6-8 weeks and ill be back in action.
    In the mean time im starting some light swimming training at my gym next week in order to mantain fitness and muscle strength.

I do have to miss nationals this year but...now the focus is turned to recovering and getting back on top for next years tournaments and nationals.

My dream of competing internationally is still alive.

9. venkatesh

venkatesh Regular Member

editor
    That's cool.

Don't deny me of an autograph once you've fulfilled your dreams already, ayt? :)

10. Oldhand

Oldhand Moderator

Broadcast Systems Integration
    That's better news.
    Get well soon... and re-read Cheung's post :0

11. Dreamzz

Dreamzz Regular Member

yeah, do take it slow when coming back, nothing worse than reinjuring yourself just on the brink of recovery due to over-eagerness.

12. Gemcat

Gemcat Regular Member

Airport Employee
    I've had it before too, just not as serious as yours. My court somehow was slippery as there were drips of sweat and I just slipped. Just an advise is that when you play again, get a ankle guard so it'll be better for your performance on the court.

13. bradmyster

rather than using an ankle gaurd im going to get the physio to teach me to full strap my ankle properly. Its much more effective than just a simple gaurd.

And yeh im wont be getting back into serious training and wont be playing badminton for either 2 months or until i feel my ankle is back to full strength. Ill also run that decision on how my physio feels about how the recovery process is going.

But some light swimming training and some light upper body weight training will do me until i can get back on court.

And cheung - yeh the muscle loss isnt too bad at this stage because i was given special excersises to try and minimize the loss. Unfortunately when the cast came off there was a bit of difference in my left legs muscle size but again iv got some more excersises to get that back.

Hopefully by taking the right steps ill be good to go in 2 months.
    PS - Going from playing badminton 5-6 days a week to not playing it at all for 2 months is soooooooooooooo gay lol

14. badminter

badminter Regular Member

Hey I've done exactly the same thing as you it seems, just over a week ago. Only problem is I still dont have full movement of my ankle, its still pretty swollen though and the bruising is gross lol. Just wondering if you're still in much pain? and if you're walking? I'm having to use crutches atm but they're so annoying, physio thinks it'll be a couple more weeks before I can walk properly without them though...ahhhhh.
    Any info on how yours is healing up would be interesting as it seems you did it a week or so before me.
    Thanks

15. bradmyster

yeh mate my bruising didnt disapear for 2 weeks, and it took 2 weeks before i could walk normally without crutches.

Its been 3 weeks for me now and nearly all pain is gone. Its just strength and balance i need to work on with the physio. Unfortunately it continues to swell due to the soft tissue damage but the physio said icing it regularly will help that. And it will continue to swell for the next 6-8 weeks.

Im looking at another 4 weeks of physio and rest and then i should be all good. :D

16. badminter

badminter Regular Member

Yea my physio has asked me to ice mine 4 times a day for now, good job I have nothing to do but sit on my arse all day at the moment!

Cool I should be walking in a week or 2 then fingers crossed, its only been a week though and I'm bored out of my mind, got some exercises to do but they only take up about 5 mins of the day lol.

Keep us informed on your preogress anyway and good luck with the recovery.

17. chichee

chichee Regular Member

Teacher
    I am in the same situation!

Went over my left ankle coming down from a jump smash too and boy did it hurt! Ankle swelled up and x-rays the next day showed no break or fracture.

It's been 3 weeks to the day now and the area is still slightly larger than the same area on my right ankle, so the swelling is still present. However, I have full movement with no pain unless someone grabs it (and believe me someone has tried!!) and jolts it violently! I can walk for a prolonged period of time with no discomfort but will not be playing badminton until I am confident it is 100% ok.

I am going to try some light jogging either tomorrow or Thursday to see how the ankle copes with that.

I've been some reading from this site and it seems very useful.

Sprained ankle rehabilitation
    Proprioception Exercises
    Plyometric Drills for ankle strengthening

18. bradmyster

the swelling in your ankle will be there for quite a while...even when it has fully healed. Soft tissue damage takes 6-10 to repair so it will swell for a good 2 months after your injury. It will slowly subside as your ankle heals fully.

And just some advice from me id wait 1 more week before you start running on it. My physio forced me to wait it out till 4 weeks before i returned to gym for some light cycling and jogging. And im please she did. I seem to be recovering even quicker now.

Its been 6 weeks for me now and i had my first game last night. Went quite well. I cant push off as fast or as strong as i would like. But hopefully another couple of weeks of light movements and the strength should return.

Id say right now im sitting at about 85% recovered. Main thing i have to concentrate on for now is balance excersises. Most people dont know it but when you sprain your ankle there are actually nerves damaged which control your balance.

The recovery process continues!!!!

19. chichee

chichee Regular Member

Teacher
    Good advice there bradmyster! Waiting another week is a good idea.

20. badminter

badminter Regular Member

Not fair! its been 4 weeks for me now and it still hurts and i dont have full movement back:( I can walk about 10 steps before I have to stop because of the pain and cramp in my calf. My physio thinks it'll be another 4 weeks before I can think about running and 6 before badminton :\