My strings break all the time

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by Monsteri, Nov 10, 2012.

1. Monsteri

Monsteri New Member

Hello,

Im using ashaway microlegend xl and powergut 65 strings. I string them to 9-12 kgs and they last 1-10 games max. Usually strings break from the middle main strings, grommets are okay.

What can I do to prevent breakings? I once had some Nanogy 9x string and that lasted a bit longer, but playability was quite bad. I had same breaking problems with bg 65 & 80.

2. dffhkhksg

dffhkhksg Regular Member

Decrease tension, don't mishit. That should make your strings last longer than just changing the type of string

3. Alex82

Alex82 Regular Member

Linux-Sysadmin
    Bad stringer maybe? Or his stringing machine damages the string...

4. dffhkhksg

dffhkhksg Regular Member

Sorry, just did the conversion from 9kg to lbs. Yeah you shouldn't be able to snap a string at that low tension unless you are crazy strong.

5. Monsteri

Monsteri New Member

I think the stringing machine is pretty good, pro's pro 600 or so. And other people who´s rackets I also string do not have these problems. I´ve had my rackets stringet by 2 other stringers with the same result. I think I have quite hard smash, but could it be just that? Can u recommend some string that might last longer?

6. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

Check the grommets, they could be sharp or broken.

7. Cillu

Cillu Regular Member

Racquet Tech
    I've also noticed that older batches of strings (3+ years) tends to snap easier as well. Maybe its that?

8. R20190

R20190 Regular Member

Chartered Civil Engineer
    If you're breaking frequently and tend to break mains it usually means you mishit a lot. And quite probably because you are also slicing the shuttle rather than hitting it square.

When you slice the shuttle, the main string(s) that contacts the shuttle has less support from the crosses in that area because the string moves sideways over the crosses rather than purely bending the crosses back and in doing so stretches the main string(s) sideways momentarily. When this is done repeatedly it puts a lot of strain on that main string and eventually it snaps.

9. gundamzaku

gundamzaku Regular Member

working professional
    i can understand breaking power gut 65 for i just strung a racket with it at 24lbs and it's quite stiff, but microlegend xl is a 0.73mm string, on the thicker side of strings and at that tension it will be very difficult to break unless you mishit a lot like what most people have said.

10. urameatball

urameatball Regular Member

Photographer
    First off, 9-12KG? why the HUGE variance?

Secondly, I've had pretty bad experience with every ashaway string I've ever tried. Lasts between 15min to 5hrs play. But to say the same using BG65, now that's unheard of. Do you leave your racquets in extremely cold conditions? In the winter, I walk 20minutes to get to badminton, and if I don't let my strings warm up before playing, I find it breaks much faster. But even then, I use BG65 and 'faster' still means 20+ games.

11. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    no details on the position of breakage on the strings. Try changing racquet and seeing if the strings last longer. If it still breaks quickly, then it strongly points to the stroke technique.