LIN DAN got wild card

Discussion in 'World Championship 2013' started by sportstar, May 8, 2013.

1. shooting stroke

shooting stroke Regular Member

Professional / Badminton Coach
    Indeed BWF will be critic for giving LD a wild card that seems the be unfair since the other players need to work very hard to earn their place in the WC. Judging from BWF decision in this matter, we don't need Gandalf the white or Master Yoda or Captain America advice why did they do that.....it's simply because the aura of a LD vs DLCW battle is so huge that it is just undeniably the greatest attraction in the world of badminton currently regardless of their respective performance and ranking. This so true for for me that:
    - It's the only match that i'm willing to bet 1000 satay to support DLCW twice.....and end up losing twice in the previous WC and Olympic:crying:
    - Most of my applied holiday or m.c for the past many many years happened because of this 2 guys.
    - Most of the sleeping disorder i had is because of the consequences from the battle from this 2 guys

Regardless of the satay losses I've had, it is still a desire for me to watch again them both battle together and while they're still playing, why not we just enjoy it because i can guarantee you that once both of them has gone, you will miss them.

SS

2. ChongHL

ChongHL Regular Member

1) yes, we all want to see these two guys play the game.
    2) LD can has the wild card provided due to injury and not due to honey moon.
    3) Even with wild card, it should limited to 3 players per country.

2 & 3 already make BWF, China and LD in ugly position.

3. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

An absolute yes to Lin Dan's wild card by BWF to whom I salute wholeheartedly. In fact, I completely agree with Redshuttle that Lin Dan's acceptance is a gift to the badminton world more than the other way round. I'd be utterly disappointed if he had rejected it for whatever reason. No necessity to reiterate all the reasons for it which have been thoroughly discussed and debated here already.

Actually Lin Dan's inclusion should benefit Lee CW as he will have a golden opportunity to beat a weakened and most vulnerable Lin Dan. As matter of fact, Lee CW should be familiar with a scenario where he had to play (at most) 3 CHN elite MS that included Lin Dan as often happened in previous WCs and Olympics, not to mention other top-notch tournaments, so this coming WC is no different, really.

Should Lee CW finally take this big title after two near misses in the 2011 WC and 2012 LOG, for which this WC'13, I believe, he is still the frontrunner, it would vindicate him; however,should he fail again, no problem,nothing much to lose as before. I'd like to think Lee CW would want to win the WC with Lin Dan's participation than without as otherwise it won't be the legacy he wish for years down the road; something he cannot be oblivious to if he is to be a true champion. Unfortunately, his self-deprecatory rant against it is self-defeating, counterproductive and unflattering, to say the least. To think that BAM actually awarded themselves 5 wild cards as the host of the 2007 WC, a case of the pot calling the kettle black.

Personally, I'd love to see Lin Dan mounts the winner's rostrum for the fifth time as World Champion. If not, I'd wish to see the final contested between Chen Long and Lee CW or Chen Long and Lin Dan or even one which figures Wang Zhengming and anyone of the aforementioned three main contenders if only to signal the changing of the guards.

Just a thought on the draw - if I had my way, I would place WZM in the QF followed by LD in the SF against Lee CW before his finale with CL, whatever the outcome along the way; if Lee CW gets sensationally knocked out by WZM in the QF, just too bad, so be it. Having both LD and CL in the same half would eradicate a considerable part of the drama, minimizing the thrills and spills of what promises to be the most memorable event of the year.

Finally, can't wait for August to come sooner, all thanks to Lin Dan's wild card. Once again, two thumbs up to BWF for making such a beautiful decision.

4. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    Having heard what everyone have said (including Chong-wei himself and BWF), i have come to the following view:

Was it fair to grant LD the wild card? I think it was not fair. I have two reasons:

(1) A person's past conducts (or misconducts) are highly relevant in how BWF ought to exercise its discretion in determining whether to grant him the wild card. LD skipped quite a few Super Series tournaments in the past four-year cycle. When he did show up, he gave quite a few walk overs to his own teammates. He was absent for 8 months after LOG2012. He was fined. If BWF refuses LD his wild card, they would not be not punishing him twice; BWF would simply be taking into account LD's past misconducts when considering whether to grant him the wild card.

(2) China already got three players qualified in MS. Granting a wild card to the fourth player from China, especially a player with LD's conduct, require extraordinary justification.

Based on what Thomas Lund had said ("We won't bend the rules for one person"), I was surprise at the final decision. But BWF is not a court of law. It has to consider commercial reality. LD's achievements are indeed extraordinary. Sponsors and fans (including LCW fans) want to see LD play against LCW. I admit I do want to see LD play against LCW. I guess commercial reality prevails at the end. It was the right decision.

If Hoyer was elected just a month earlier, however, i think things would had been different. Let's see how he will change BWF.

#204 pcll99, May 20, 2013
    Last edited: May 20, 2013
  5. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

The granting of wild cards is not all about fairness. The reasons given in those sports/events that do so are already well known and I've cited the case of tennis before as an example.

So much has been discussed here and instead of moving on,I'm surprised we're still covering the same ground.

Suffice for me to add, if not for Lin Dan's wild card, not only this thread won't exist (maybe) but the WC'13 will be a more subdued and diminished affair. Enough said for me.

6. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
    Time to close this thread since it is still the same few person congratulating BWF that their idol can now compete, through the back door.

7. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    The '3 players from each country per event' rule

IMHO, BWF should welcome back current champion, Lin Dan, to defend his title.

Regarding the '3 players from each country per event' rule, BWF should stick to this rule.

I agree that China should remove their extra 4th player from this MS event.

I wish to watch the best MS players from China and from other countries at this year's tournament. Therefore, the extra 4th player from China should be removed.

8. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

What a joke, ridiculous. I don't believe the moderators can tolerate such a presumptuous, brazen, nonsensical request. What's a forum for if members are not allowed to exercise their right to freedom of speech/expression without crossing the bounds of slander,obscenity,incitement to crime just because one or two forumers don't like what they read.

9. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    I finally realise what the "BWF's Committee of Management for the World Championship" is.

"5.4 Each Competition shall be managed by the BWF in partnership with the host Member Association. The Committee of Management shall be of at least three persons, one member of the BWF Events Committee, one from the host Member Association and the Referee. The Committee of Management shall have power to co-opt other persons and also to delegate any of the duties to a Sub-committee."

http://www.bwfbadminton.org/file.aspx?id=422678&dl=1

I thought it was the entire BWF Executive Board. I guess I was wrong.

#209 pcll99, May 20, 2013
  10. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Hi chris-ccc, the BWF rule is max 4 per event for any given member association, not 3. This point has been clarified before somewhere in this thread.

11. pBmMalaysia

pBmMalaysia Regular Member

badminton coach
    So the referee worship LD? :D

12. morpheus

morpheus Regular Member

If Chong Wei wins the WC title, it will be 'valueable' only if LD also participates.

So, whether it is fair about LD's wild card is not a point here.

I would say Chong Wei needs LD's participation. Maybe even Chong Wei himself didn't realise this!

13. madbad

madbad Regular Member

Wait a sec, I haven't jumped on the back-slapping bandwagon yet ;)

14. V1lau

V1lau Regular Member

Net Play and Counter Attack
    The main reason we are talking about it, is because LCW chose to make this an issue. I believe most badminton fans will agree that LD receiving a wildcard is the obvious decision economically and for overall entertainment value. The fact that BAM is complaining when they did the same thing is laughable and makes LCW look silly.

The same when you complain and want to silence people, makes me want to talk about this more and more. :cool:

15. pBmMalaysia

badminton coach
    Don't think LCW knew it was going to be an issue then.

Most probably that wild card call caught him by surprise

which follows by more surprises

from fans, players, worshippers, supporters, followers etc

all over the world :D

16. pBmMalaysia

badminton coach
    Yes, bottom line is we should be happy :) :)

once again able to see the clash of the baddy titans!

As for LD, its not going to be his best performance

because of the 8 months break

and we should understand

should he fail to reach the semi or final,

we should still appreciate his participation :)

IMO should they meet, my bet is,

its still going to be a close one :)

17. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    Lin Dan should be given the opportunity to defend his reigning title

I thought that if and only if a member association has 4 players in the top 8 rankings, then they can send the maximum of 4 players to participate.

China has 2 players in the top 8 rankings, so they can only send the maximum of 3 players.

What I am saying is :- Lin Dan should be given the opportunity to defend his reigning title. And because Lin Dan is allowed to participate as an wild card entry, then one of China's top 3 ranking players should be removed.

Let's look at a further/future situation;
    If any country has 4 players in the top 8 rankings, then they can send the maximum of 4 players to participate. Now, if a wild card is given to another one its players (a reigning title-holder, who is ranked outside the top 8), then we could end up with having 5 players coming in from one country.

4 players coming from one country is really too many. After all, there are only 3 medals (Gold, Silver and Bronze) to be won.

18. pBmMalaysia

badminton coach
    yes, 4 is a bit too much for the rest of the world

who are trying hard to get in.

With china players dominating the ms,

high time BWF do something.

Post #209 - any idea who were in the committee ? :D

19. bad's fan

bad's fan Regular Member

I think this topic of removing qualified players for a wild card one when 4 players already qualified still far to discussed about. The situation we have now still up to the rules which allow max. 4 players from one country.

About the reason why need to send 4 players, maybe you can ask BAM or Malaysian coach for some insights as they already had experience about it in 2007 WC.

#219 bad's fan, May 20, 2013
  20. V1lau

V1lau Regular Member

Net Play and Counter Attack
    LCW comments actually caught me by surprise when I read it and I thought LD receiving the wildcard was like the most obvious decision, it didn't occur to me that it would be controversial. I thought LCW was above all this nonsense, but I guess the passion and desire to win can put anyone on edge.