Girl died during badminton practice...

Discussion in 'Injuries' started by Nephrus, Nov 18, 2005.

1. Kamen

Kamen Regular Member

Self-Employed
    i am really sorry to hear about your bro death. My deepest condolence! RIP Ang:(

2. crashandburn

crashandburn Regular Member

badminton player
    Condolence.......!

3. Peggy

Peggy Regular Member

Sorry to hear that... my deepest condolence to you & family!

Totally agree with you: dont push yourself to the limit. Warm up and down properly. I think this is the main reason why i don't like to play after work cos we usually get rush to court, then play as much as we can in that limited 2 hours without warming up and get back to home with an extremely tired body & go for sleep without warming down... it's quite HURT (body)!

We will get benefit from proper exercise and vice versa if it's too much!

4. RSLdude

RSLdude Regular Member

Manager
    im sorry to hear about the sudden death of your brother. my condolences.

i just want to share to you guys that badminton is a very intense game and most probably the fastest racket sport. when you mix intensity and speed, you absolutely will require enormous physical and mental training and conditioning just to sustain the game. when we are stressed out, like after we finished our daily work for example, our body experiences massive fatigue (irregardless of our age). we need to have sufficient rest and take the right intake of food i.e. protein-rich foods and lots of fluids. Warm-ups are essentials and don't forget to include "cardio warm-ups" as well like breeze walking for about 10 to 15 mins to circulate the blood around our body. smoking will just slow down your endurance so kick the habit.

let's all enjoy playing badminton but we should be aware the risks involve in this sport.

5. azabaz_ipoh

azabaz_ipoh Regular Member

is second to badminton
    my deepest condolences to the family and friends of those who have passed away..... :(

6. m_hael99

m_hael99 Regular Member

student
    my deepest condolences to you my friend. cheer up. I guess the badminton court at the other world is far better and it's much more fun to play there than in this world. I think your brother is enjoying himself tremendously so don't worry :)

7. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

There is another condition called hypertrophic cardiomyopathy that can cause near-instant death at any age. The heart muscles suddenly thicken, reducing blood flow to the point where the patient just loses consciousness and dies soon after. Unlike heart attacks, arrhythmia etc it is not brought about by high-intensity exercise - it can strike at ANY time.

A famous case was Miklos Feher, a Hungarian footballer who collapsed in the middle of a game due to this condition and died. He was in his mid-late twenties and was obviously super-fit. Just goes to show how little control we really have:(.

8. gerry

gerry Regular Member

I had a bad experience of this 15 years ago when I was coaching mixed doubles to a club. I was talking on court to a female player when suddenly she just fell backwards to the floor, a trained person tried to keep her going with cpr while I rang 999..... believe it or not I was held in a queue with an automated voice.... very frustrating, it took 45 minutes before the paramedics arrived, she was pronounced dead on arrival at the hospital.

Her husband was there and could only look on, a very traumatic experience for all that evening.

She was in her 40's and had a heart attack, she had no previous warning of any problems with her heart.

It could happen to any of us at any moment so enjoy every moment that you have.

9. Felicia_txh

Felicia_txh Regular Member

Student
    My deepest condolence..:(

10. Smichz

Smichz Regular Member

Student,Tour guide,Marketer
    My deepest condolences..:crying::crying::crying:

11. DivingBirdie

DivingBirdie Regular Member

student
    Just a few days ago in singapore, a triathalon athelete died after completing his course. He's only 17 and from a reputable college. He is an achieved triathlon athelete. Very tragic loss---he's the cream of the crop too. Another case of a super-fit athelete dying all of a sudden.

Remember......never neglect the warning signals your body may send out during the course of exercising!

12. sportsdoc

sportsdoc Regular Member

Sports Physician
    It's always good to have a medical check-up prior to participation in exercise. I have on several occasions referred patients to cardiologists as they had irregular heart rhythms. Also, note that the risk of developing dangerous rhythms are higher when the person is having a viral infection. Certain heart valve anomalies may also worsen with intense exercise. An athlete should always have a regular physical fitness program before engaging in competition. I dont know of anyone who doesnt push himself harder when he is competing even for fun.

Look out for the next years National Sports Institute Conference 2008... there will be something on Sudden Cardiac Death.

http://sportsnmedicine.blogspot.com

#72 sportsdoc, Jun 28, 2007
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2007
  13. mistahpho

mistahpho Regular Member

Dang, so sad. May she rest in peace.

14. bigb824

bigb824 Regular Member

school
    yes it is very sad :/

15. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    Another casualty

Man dies while playing badminton at Sutlej Club
    By IE
    Monday August 20, 03:01 AM

An office bearer of the Ludhiana Badminton Academy (LBA) and Ludhiana District Badminton Association (LDBA) Kamal Kwatra (52) died due to cardiac arrest, while he was playing badminton at Satluj Club, here this morning.

According to his friend Mohinder Chopra, "It was during the last game he asked for little rest and sat on the chair and soon after fell unconscious as he was accompanied by Dr Ajit Singh Chawla. He was given the first aid immediately and was rushed to the hospital but the hospital authorities declared him brought dead."

The whole badminton fraternity was shocked and greaved over the untimely demise of the officer bearer.

His cremation was attended by chief parliamentary secretary Harish Rai Dhanda, who is also the vice-president of the academy. Kwatra is survived by his wife and two sons.

16. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    Deputy Education Minister dies while playing badminton

2008/11/29

KUALA LUMPUR: Deputy Education Minister Datuk Razali Ismail died at the Institut Aminuddin Baki in Genting Highlands yesterday. A staff there said Razali, 59, who is the MP for Kuala Terengganu, collapsed while playing badminton.

Education Minister Datuk Seri Hishammuddin Hussein said Razali’s death was a great loss to the ministry.

“I’m deeply saddened. It’s a great loss,” he said, adding he was at the institute to help with funeral arrangements.

In Kuala Terengganu, Razali’s youngest son, Khairul Ariff, 15, said he was playing computer games with his cousin when hewas informed of his father death.

“He was a good dad. He was strict, but never scolded us and always gave us advice.” Khairul said he last spoke to his father on Monday.

Razali, who was affectionately called “Cikgu Razali”, had handed a motivational book to Khairul before he left for Kuala Lumpur that day.

Khairul said his father had gone for a check-up at the National Heart Institute in July or August and the doctor had told him hewas exhausted and needed a rest. He then took a two-week vacation.

Apart from Khairul, Razali leaves his wife Datin Noraini Lob Yusof, 51; sons, Muhammad Nurazli, 30, a senior vice-president at Sime Darby; Asrul Shah, 27, an assistant secretary at the Prime Minister's Department; Khairul Amar, 21, who is studying in Los Angeles; and Khairul Anuar, 19, a student at Universiti Selangor.

Razali was born in Kuala Berang in June 1949.

He was state education director from 2001 to 2002.

He was also PTPTN chairman.

Razali was elected MP for Kuala Terengganu in 2004.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    © Copyright 2008 The New Straits Times Press (M) Berhad. All rights reserved.

17. venkatesh

venkatesh Regular Member

editor
    My condolences. :(

I hope this wouldn't give badminton a bad reputation because I still believe that this sport is healthy for people. Maybe he just pushed his limits against the doctor's advice. At that age, people should be more careful.

18. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    I don't think the late deputy education minister was new to badminton. I suspect that it was the first and last time he played badminton in the highlands. He probably didn't know that highlands are very demanding on oxygen. As a matter of fact, at one time the Malaysian national squad camped over at the highlands for a training stint to improve their fitness and their ability to handle very high shuttle speed.
    Many Chinese sportsmen , including badminton players, go to the Chinese province of Yunnan to improve their fitness.
    I was up in one of the highlands in Yunnan at about 3,900 meters last year and I tried running up some steep stairs and boy was I quite tired! But surprisingly, I fared better than many young men and women half or one third my age who were new to the highlands.

19. Oldhand

Oldhand Moderator

Broadcast Systems Integration
    On several occasions, I've played near-competitive level badminton in Nepal.

It's incredibly energy-sapping... and when coupled with the fact that these sessions would begin at 5am (when it's 4 to 6 degrees Celsius outside) inside a closed but non-heated gymnasium, it makes for very demanding badminton!

After some long rallies, you can feel yourself go a bit woozy :(
    That's when everyone pauses and reaches for a cup of hot tea.

20. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    The capital of Nepal, Katmandu, is really not very high at 4,300 ft although you can take in a grand sweep of the Himalaya range, from the Katmandu airport, where many peaks reach more than 25,000 ft. Genting Highlands in Malaysia is in fact higher than Katmandu by a thousand ft.
    Just try the highlands in Yunnan, China with altitudes of more than 13,000 ft. Tibet in China is another highlands or rather more of a highland plateau. At 13,000 ft I can assure you your legs feel really as heavy as lead when you run up a flight of stairs.