2012 Badminton Asia Championships: Semi-Finals and Finals matches

Discussion in 'Continental Championships 2012' started by chris-ccc, Apr 20, 2012.

1. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

They were already up and coming in 2011. First tournament together was Korean PSS and I happened to see their first round match and was immediately impressed (by their speed and defense). But Kim Sa Rang failed to make the national selection at the trials later/ was deemed not good enough/ kicked out (wouldn't be a surprise with that smug grin he has :p), and they were split until rejoined in December of 2011 ... :cool:
    In any case, glad to see they added some hardware :)

[​IMG]

Kim Sa Rang (L) and Kim Ki Jung (R) of South Korea pose on the podium during the awards ceremony after their men's doubles final match against Hayakawa Kenichi and Endo Hiroyuki of Japan of the Badminton Asia Championships in China's northeastern coastal city of Qingdao on April 22, 2012. The South Korean pair won 21-12, 21-16. AFP PHOTO / LIU JIN

#421 demolidor, Apr 22, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2012
  2. KB@TB Em

KB@TB Em Regular Member

student
    It was a delight to watch Kim/Kim throughout this tournament!! The way they play looks so easy, esp. defence, they are quick, hunting the net...
    ANd they beat quite a few pairs which are rankend higher.
    Ofc the big guns didn´t play, but i´m looking forward to see how they handle pairs like boe/mogensen, cai/fu.
    Korean´s MD are so spectacular imo, nice to have a third MD pair who could make their way to the top 10.

3. pBmMalaysia

pBmMalaysia Regular Member

badminton coach
    That was just your opinion

and couldn't be something that can be measured

like a thermometer in Celsius or Fahrenheit.

If it can be measured that way,

I would say its a freezing cold statement :D

#423 pBmMalaysia, Apr 22, 2012
  4. KB@TB Em

KB@TB Em Regular Member

student
    I agree!! Pretty strange even there haven´t been any CHN vs other nation matches.

5. Miqilin7

Miqilin7 Regular Member

Student
    Of course I am just expressing my opinion and i have sticked it way before he moved to Japan to become the head coach.

When he took up the job to coach the Malaysian doubles pairs, Choong Tan Foo/Lee Wan Wah and Chew/Chan's h2h record against the elite South Korean pairs have never improved. Especially Choong/Tan vs Lee Dong Soo/Yoo Yong Sung, they have been able to only beat them once in out of i dont know 5/6 meetings in their careers. So I was beginning to wonder if Park Joo Bong came to Malaysia with the intention to bring the best out of the pairs.

My suspect grew even stronger when he was in Japan. His Japanese charges have never succeed in overcoming their Korean counterparts in any discipline since 2007. 5 years it has been, and none of the Japanese players are able to do well especially against Korea. Maybe Kenichi Tago but I checked his head to head record against Koreans have not been that pleasant.

It's not wrong for me to suspect and question Park Joo Bong's commitment as coach. Sure he has introduced some elements to improve their game but at some point it feels like he is limiting their progress based on the knowledge he is sharing. I am surprised that Japanese coaching side who have too respectful and overwhelmed of his presence and touch; failed to see this through him and measured his actual commitment to actually transform Japan as a powerhouse that could hold their own against Korea especially. A Japanese with a right winger mindset would definitely shed some light onto this and bring up a case against Park Joo Bong. Is he putting his ethnic loyalty above his commitment to coaching? Look at the Japanese past results, there have been little or zero success in their performance against the powerhouse Korea since he took office, is there a hidden agenda as suspected by the right winger or simply the Japanese players are still inferior in terms of skills to the Koreans. I do not buy it...

Just my 2 cents...i dont trust him since he coached Malaysia from the beginning.

Again It's just my opinion.....but that were true, I say he should be branded as the biggest disgrace to badminton....far worse than the hot-headed dictator Li Yongbo...at least Li Yongbo will not pretend and he is only thinking China as the best team there is, he won't do anything to make sure other nations caught up with China.

I have to salute Rexy Mainaky, one of the best coaches i have ever seen who have used his touch and commitment to bring the best out of his charges and that is evident; no matter where they are from...that's called true dedication and passion

#425 Miqilin7, Apr 22, 2012
  6. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Well I see only that the Japanese actually have world class MD pairs now when they didn't before. The only pair that was any good was that guy that's coaching in Japan now (forgot his name), and since PJB went to Japan, their MD and WD have steadily improved. Remember that a coach can only do so much, the players get their foundation elsewhere when they're young and if that's lacking he's very limited in what he can do.
    I think it was mentioned elsewhere most players in the Japanese team also work half-time (or even more), and can't fully commit to their badminton career as they're not supported as well as others.

It's also a bit unfair to measure a country's success against the most successful MD nation in recent years with such a strong tradition in that discipline.

7. jamesd20

jamesd20 Moderator

Construction
    PJB has improved the play of the JP players enormously. Like people have said, they didnt have any world class WD or MD players before. He helped their WS as well in the time he was with them.

The relatively poor performance against the KOR players can be explained by the fact that he is teaching them the KOR way of playing, and of course you cant beat someone at their own game. Just like LI Mao with LCW, he didnt improve his record against LD, because LM was trying to make him play like a chinese player.

Both Li Mao and PJB have bad history with their associations as coaches and would want to prove against them more than any other country their player can beat them.

8. Miqilin7

Miqilin7 Regular Member

Student
    Well it would have been a 20-0 clean sheet head to head record for Lin Dan if Li Mao didn't cross over to train LCW lol!!

9. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

You are 100% correct with this post :)

10. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Stop spouting BS please. There's no way in hell to know whether he was a positive influence or not.
    Most would argue that LCW seems to have improved significantly against LD in the last 2 years, which would not be Li Mao's achievement...anyhow, there's no doubt PJB as well as LM are really making an effort to improve their players, and not control them to keep their respective home country strong.

11. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

Almost [​IMG]. PJB is not the only coach working with the doubles. Another one is Reony Mainaky [​IMG].

29148_10150180209400462_716365461_12357056_63688_n.jpg

#431 demolidor, Apr 22, 2012
  12. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

^Not to mention the success that Li Mao had with the Korea team in which he managed to improve the current Men's Singles players into being able to compete with the top 20 players...

Anyway there is no doubt both Park Joo Bong and Li Mao are great coaches who have helpe improve the standards. Kim/Kim with Lee/Ko and Shin/Kang will go on to dominate the doubles category after August, there is nothing that PJB can do about that. His Japan pairs are mostly still young and in a good position to do some damage after this years Olympics. With INA and MAS only having 1 maybe 2 quality pairs after the Olympics, JPN will have 3 and still have the strength in depth to challenge everyone except Korea.

13. Gigabit

Gigabit Regular Member

Banker
    IMHO, at least the Japanese MDs are more consistent than MAS MDs. MAS MDs are great when attacking but has the bad habit to relax on the 2nd and lose out on the third. PJB has done a very good job in Japan raising their badminton profile and standard. In actual matches, the player themselves need to be in the right mind to win. For eg, the match yesterday, the Jap MDs was a bit nervous and maybe lack of variety?

Korean MD is great because their sparring partner is LYD-JJS and YYS-KSH and SBC-CGW and this raise their standard higher?

14. Gigabit

Gigabit Regular Member

Banker
    IMHO, at least the Japanese MDs are more consistent than MAS MDs. MAS MDs are great when attacking but has the bad habit to relax on the 2nd and lose out on the third. PJB has done a very good job in Japan raising their badminton profile and standard. In actual matches, the player themselves need to be in the right mind to win. For eg, the match yesterday, the Jap MDs was a bit nervous and maybe lack of variety?

Korean MD is great because their sparring partner is LYD-JJS and YYS-KSH and SBC-CGW and this raise their standard higher?

15. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    what is the name of the guy on the left?

16. Gigabit

Gigabit Regular Member

Banker
    Should be Richard Mainaky

17. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    one with japan, one with malaysia, one with indonesia. they will conquer the world!

18. badMania

badMania Regular Member

I don't think on the right is Richard Mainaky. He looks more like Marleve.

19. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    u cant count?what a joke....

20. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
    That was in the past. Now it is :
    one with japan, one with philippines, one with indonesia. they will conquer the world!