Will Lee Chong Wei remain World No.1 until the 2012 OG?

Discussion in 'Malaysia Professional Players' started by chris-ccc, Apr 6, 2009.

1. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    Lee Chong Wei achieves an annual income that exceeded RM1 million

It's been mentioned that Lee Chong Wei achieves an annual income that exceeded RM1 million.

2. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

World number one Lee Chong Wei pumped up for the 2010 Asian Games

World number one Lee Chong Wei pumped up for the 2010 Asian Games

====== * ====== * ====== part of article ====== * ====== * =======

Malaysian star shuttler Lee Chong Wei finds himself in the curious position of being badminton's world number one and yet not favourite to win gold at the Asian Games that start this week.

That tag goes to the charismatic Lin Dan, touted by many as the best player ever but whose limited appearances in this year's Super Series means he is down in the world rankings.

The Chinese, who at 27 is a year younger than Lee, is thought to be desperate to win in front of an adoring home crowd.

And yet as Lee proved in September at the Japan Open, where he beat his arch-rival and Olympic champion to win the title, the Malaysian is more than capable of playing the party pooper in Guangzhou.

====== * ====== * ====== * ====== * ====== * ====== * =======

Read more: World number one Lee pumped up for Asian Games - The Times of India http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...n-Games/articleshow/6886559.cms#ixzz14p9ehPe5

3. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

It's always the false logic that the best has to be No.1

I don't believe it - Why do many not accept Lee Chong Wei as the World No.1, as ranked by the BWF?

People need to realise that if Lin Dan, the best in the world, does not participate in more tournaments, he won't be able to be ranked as World No.1.

It's always the false logic that the best has to be No.1. :(:(:(

Here is an article by Chris Aaron on Monday 22-Nov-2010

====== * ====== * ====== article ====== * ====== * =======

HAVE YOUR SAY: Is Lee Chong Wei really the world’s number one?

Losing yet again to Lin Dan, does Datuk Lee Chong Wei really deserve the right to be called the world’s number one in badminton?

Malaysians watched in agony, as Datuk Lee Chong Wei, who so dominantly made his way into the Asian Games Men's singles finals, lost to the awesome Lin Dan.

Chong Wei is the World Badminton number one, you can't deny it. To hold such a position requires a whole lot of hard work, and we understand that too. But does he really deserve the title? I mean, it seems that every match-up between the two always ends in a Malaysian disappointed. And you can't deny Lin Dan's quality.

====== * ====== * ====== * ====== * ====== * ====== * =======

Source: http://sport.malaysia.msn.com/commented/article.aspx?cp-documentid=4475352

4. eRa@에라

eRa@에라 Regular Member

Accountant
    And an honest reply by Neiro2:

"Definitely yes, he deserves it. Being number one is not about defeating who, but rather is about how well you play your game. He might have this weak spot when facing Lin Dan, but he definitely deserves the title considering he has been the champion in most tournaments that Lin Dan is absent. His ability to maintain such high level of performance throughout his career proves how skillful he is. Being number one doesn't mean you have to win it all, but playing it constantly at a high level. Losing to one person but won over hundreds of others, how does that mean he doesn't deserve it? World ranking is based on total tournament points. Lin Dan plays much fewer tournaments and doesn't show his ability to maintain such level. Considering he is able to maintain his title is already a feat worth noting. As a Malaysian, I think this is the furthest we can get in this sport."

Yes, I also believe LCW deserves his No.1 ranking for he worked really hard consistently to be on the top form winning tournaments... but as a Malaysian, I don't believe this is the furthest we can go in badminton... we waited long for LCW to be a MAS hero and just because he always lost to LD does not mean he deserves to be a joke... LCW as a show face No.1???? :mad::mad::mad: only to losers perhaps... but never to me!:cool:

5. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    Definitely boleh till 2012. ;) Nicol David is a world squash number 1 in case foreigners don't know who she is. Anyone not familiar with her yet? Now you know. ;)

6. pBmMalaysia

pBmMalaysia Regular Member

badminton coach
    what a crap, chris

the guy who start asking is lcw really the world number 1

doesn't even know how lcw landed there with that title in the first place.lol

actually if we really follow the title, there is nothing to discuss, debate or even question.

just tell them to go and ask bwf.lol

#606 pBmMalaysia, Nov 25, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2010
  7. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Let's update regularly the BWF World Mens Singles Ranking before the 2012 OG

As we are getting closer to the 2012 Olympic Games, let's update regularly the BWF World Mens Singles Ranking;

Processed on 24-Nov-2010, we have this Ranking List;

1. Lee Chong Wei (MAS)........80487 points
    2. Peter Gade (DEN)..............68795 points
    3. Taufik Hidayat (INA)...........67592 points
    4, Lin Dan (CHN)....................58634 points
    5. Boonsak Ponsana (THA).......56720 points

Source: http://www.bwfbadminton.org/page.aspx?id=14955

Great to find 5 players from 5 different countries.

8. jimbo

jimbo Regular Member

Does it matter? So far, he only won 1 out of 4 Grand Slams (AE, AG, OG and WC)... but credits should give to him for being runner-ups in AG and OG.

9. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

ATP Rankings

I follow the BWF Rankings like I follow the ATP (Tennis) Rankings, so that's the info provided here.

BTW, the top 5 players at the current ATP Rankings (as of 22-Nov-2010) are;

1. Rafael Nadal (ESP)...........11450 points
    2. Roger Federer (SUI)...........7645 points
    3. Novak Djokovic (SRB).........5635 points
    4. Robin Soderling (SWE)........5380 points
    5. Andy Murray (GBR)............5360 points

Source: http://www.atpworldtour.com/Rankings/Singles.aspx

Also great to find 5 players from 5 different countries.

10. jimbo

jimbo Regular Member

Sorry, OFF TOPIC. But If I'm not mistaken, both Federer and Nadal won all the Grand Slams, no? I think Nadal completed his last piece of puzzle this year at U.S Open 2010... If my above statement is correct, where is the correlation for LCW? I hope he will nail the WC 2011... :)

11. skchen

skchen Regular Member

Consultant
    I don't think AG & OG are grand slam tournaments but are the biggies held once every 4 years. The WC, another biggie, is held annually except in the OG year. It is not as pretigious. Roger Federer has won all the grand slam tournaments but not the OG singles title. Nadal has won all the grand slam tournaments and the OG singles title. In terms of greatness as at now, Roger is better rated by all and sundry.

12. jimbo

jimbo Regular Member

Read from newspaper, the grand slams are OG, AG, WC, AE, Thomas Cup and Sudirman Cup. And I think it's fair to call these titles the Grand Slams (anyway, it's only my personal opinion....). OK, I didn't know that in Tennis, OG is also as prestige as grand slams... :)

13. Bugsy

Bugsy Regular Member

Grand Slams in Badminton are OG, AG, WC, AE, Thomas Cup and Sudirman Cup???
    Which newspaper reported that??

1) Why AG?? It is not fair cos non-Asians players will have no chance in winning it.
    2) Grand Slams in tennis are won individually, not as a team, otherwise Davis Cup will be a Grand Slam too..
    3) Team event like TC and Sudirman Cup, to win it you need to have all round strength, you will need a whole team to perform..

14. Bugsy

Bugsy Regular Member

Grand Slams in Badminton are OG, AG, WC, AE, Thomas Cup and Sudirman Cup???
    Which newspaper reported that??

1) Why AG?? It is not fair cos non-Asians players will have no chance in winning it.
    2) Grand Slams in tennis are won individually, not as a team, otherwise Davis Cup will be a Grand Slam too..
    3) Team event like TC and Sudirman Cup, to win it you need to have all round strength, you will need a whole team to perform..

15. jimbo

jimbo Regular Member

OK OK OK... why so argumentative? Relax... LAH....

1. For Non-Asian players, may be the AG title can be replaced by something like European title? (I think PG won it many times)
    2. Agree with U... it's kind of different when it comes to badm and Tennis... though I find it weird that the Davis Cup winner (team) does not necessary has strong individual player (at least not Federer for Swiss and Nadal for Spain)
    3. In badm, most of the strong individual players are from the badm power houses... so eventually these few countries will win (so are these players)

16. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

How Badminton players are fighting for their countries

Hahaha...... That's the difference between Badminton and Tennis fans.

While Tennis fans are thinking of how Tennis players are at tournaments entertaining them; Badminton fans are thinking of how Badminton players are fighting for their countries. :):):)

17. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    My definition of granslam is AE, MO, IO and CM. I'll follow tennis standards. Better standard as this is proven and acknowledged. I chose 4 countries and exclude JO. ;) Things like WC and OG, I call it super grandslam. ;). Just like you call super series. ;)

18. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

In Tennis, we have what we called a 'World Tour' for professional Tennis players

BTW in Tennis, we have what we called a 'World Tour' for professional Tennis players to entertain us.

In Badminton, many players are not just thinking of entertaining us, but to bring glory to their National Badminton Associations.

19. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

off topic:
    So i guess you're basing those 4 tourneys on the regions of the world where badminton is popular?:confused:
    If one wants to follow the tennis standards of the 4 grand slams, then unfortunately those 4 baddy tourneys don't have the requirements.
    Further, the 4 tennis grand slams all have these in common: world ranking points, tradition, prize-money awarded, and public attention.
    * WR points category: those 4 tourneys have the same WR points as the other SS..so nothing special.
    * Tradition category: If one wants to include the oldest baddy tourneys, then the Scottish Open is older than the MO, IO and CM (as in China Masters)..the only 2 tourneys which apply in that list of yours will only be the AE and M'sia Open..Btw, you should throw in the Denmark Open in the mix as i believe baddy is as popular if not more popular in Denmark than in UK plus the Denmark Open has a lot of history (started abt the same time as the M'sia Open)..:eek:
    * Prize-money awarded : unfortunately, those 4 baddy tourneys all have the same amt of prize-money money awarded..until end of this yr.
    * Public attention: this is arguably the only category which applies as those tourneys occur in the most popular baddy regions..

#619 ctjcad, Nov 29, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2010
  20. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Our world number1 Badminton player is Lee Chong Wei

So we shall summarise (currently for our Badminton Mens Singles) that;

Our world champion is Chen Jin (CHN).
    Our world best player is Lin Dan (CHN).
    Our world number 1 player is Lee Chong Wei (MAS).

Hope that in the near future, we can find all 3 titles won by just ONE player. :cool::cool::cool:

#620 chris-ccc, Nov 29, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2010