Trick Shots/Deceptive Shots Difference and ethics

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by rmnature, Oct 26, 2011.

1. rmnature

rmnature New Member

Hi,

I am a recreational player just playing social badminton.I like to play trick shots/deceptive shots,but i always have this doubt if i would seem a bit cocky or arrogant of some sort. First, I would like to know what's the difference between a trick shot and a deceptive shot, where do you draw the line and how do you play one of these shots ,so that it's elegant and enjoyable even to your opponents.For some odd reason, i am so obsessed with these type of shots but don't want to disrespect my opponents as well.

2. Capnx

Capnx Regular Member

personally i don't mind opponents do trick shots b/c they're cool to do and also cool to be fooled from the opponent angle. my only problem is if the player always tries trick shots but never succeeds. when i play a game, i want it to be competitive and not just clown around.

as for diff between trick shots vs deceptive shots, might be a matter of execution/difficulty success rate and return rate. trick shots might be something very cool to look at, but the effectiveness may be limited, example would be "between legs shot". it's cool when u pull it off, but most likely your opponent would have no problem returning that. deceptive shots (in my mind) is about holding and delaying your shot so you put your opponent on the maximum alert and off balance. when u are at the base line and in position, you can make your shot look like a clear, but if you hold it and at the last second you drop it or a drop-smash, that's a deceptive shot. there're no tricks involved but the result can be very effective in winning or setting up the winning point.

3. Andy05

Andy05 Regular Member

Badminton Geek
    A trick shot it where you deliberately use a more complicated shot with restricted playability instead of a more consistent normal stroke.
    A deceptive shot is a good shot that makes your opponents move in another direction or makes them think you're doing something you're not using normal strokes.

It's alright to use both, but don't use them to show up opponents or when you are failing the shot again and again. It's good to use them against juniors because they like to see new shots, but don't use too many or they will try and copy that instead of developing consistency with standard shots.

4. alexh

alexh Regular Member

It depends whether you're more interested in winning games or in entertaining people. You'll probably get better results by playing more simply, concentrating on the basics. But there's no harm in trying different things if you enjoy it and don't mind losing some points.

5. shooting stroke

shooting stroke Regular Member

Professional / Badminton Coach
    This two different terminology in badminotn skills, deception and trick shot has been discussed frequently here in BC. Others may think both of them are the same set of skills , but then eventhough their level of difficulties in execution may be the same depends on what type of deception or trick shot executed, their application is totally different.

Trick shot refers to an exhibition type of shot and its application is mainly meant to entertain audience in a show.The player that is executing this shot will show his brilliance by producing mostly creative circus like shots.

Deceptive shot in another hand is an important skills that a player (most importantly competitive players) should have in their bank shots that can act as an additional advantage to outmanoevered their opponent. Besides it can be use to out monevered your opponent to open an opportunity to gain a point or a winning point, it's application also has a signifficant physchological effect to your deceived opponent, especially if he is always being deceived, that can most probably change the course of the game.

Applying any trick shot while playing in any competitve level of play will just like commiting suicide and makes that player like a clown from the eyes of his oppnent as to compare to a deceptive player that is very unpredictable in his shots and makes his opponent shacky and clueless of what shots that will come next.

It depends on what type of deceptive shot that you want to execute. Regardless of what type of deceptive shots that you want to perform, it should comply to the below criteria:

- Do it and it can confuse the way of your opponent thinks
    - Do it and it slows your opponent footwork
    - Do it and it confuse the way your opponent body moves

#5 shooting stroke, Oct 26, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2011
  6. neogenesus

neogenesus Regular Member

student
    I hate it when my partner try to do a trick shot and it fail 90% of the time :(:mad::p

7. ariffza

ariffza Regular Member

Engineer
    I know the feeling. It cancels out all the points gained through hard work and demoralizes me at times. Trick shots should only be attempted when your team has a marginally huge point advantage.