What strings and tension do current professionals use?

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by R20190, Feb 28, 2012.

1. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

Could be he found the venue too slow for 30/32. Or it could be because I did his first one top down;).

2. greblu

greblu Regular Member

Student
    What stringing method (50/50, top down, down top, etc...) did you use for the most pro string-jobs ? What does "venue too slow" mean for no Englishman?

3. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

We decided to use two-piece bottom-up for safety as we were using two machines with different mounting systems.

A slow venue is one where players have trouble killing the shuttle, and the NIA is regarded on the tour as one of the slowest. Thus, the players may reduce their tension slightly for extra power (and to avoid breakages).

4. greblu

greblu Regular Member

Student
    Thanx
    Ah now I understand. I have the same problem with slow shuttles :). When someone insists to play with a slow 76 shuttle I use my racket with the lower string tension.

5. MrPostage

MrPostage New Member

Lin dan is using BG80, no korean player using victor strings, no chinese player using li-ning strings.

6. dbswansea

dbswansea Regular Member

IT
    We have a pair of Victor stringers here that'll disagree with that Korean bit.

7. craigandy

craigandy Regular Member

Interesting were they all using yonex strings then?

Maybe there has only been Yonex stringers at the events they have attended recently or something?

8. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Pretty certain it's because other strings are hard to come by at the event.....the Korean players got their own stringers at the AE, maybe that was too expensive for the Aussie Open. Also, the official stringers are always the tournament sponsor's afaik so they won't see any players using different string brands as those tend to go elsewhere (nearby shops, for example).
    Yonex is available everywhere and have a broad spectrum of strings so there's an equivalent Yonex string for almost anything out there, which makes it easy to switch when you have to.

9. MrPostage

MrPostage New Member

Could just have been the Korean players who went to Sydney for this year's event?

The stringer, whilst was stringing for yonex at the event, posted this on his store's fb page. his store sells yonex, li-ning, and victor strings, so not sure if he would have any vested interest in lying? He didn't say what strings they used.

or maybe the players who wanted yonex strings took their rackets to the yonex stringer, where as the players who wanted victor strings took them to their stringers? (unless they took their own strings or used non yonex strings).

but this is off topic.

10. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Perhaps it depends on the availability of strings during the tournament. If no Victor strings available , they would have to go to an alternative.

11. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Interesting stuff. Even if the stringer does sell three different brands of string, he certainly wouldn't provide string for free or at a loss.

I should try to move the these posts to the correct thread.

12. dbswansea

dbswansea Regular Member

IT
    Yonex string was no doubt used by Victor athletes because that's all that was available, no hidden agendas, just circumstance.

13. craigandy

craigandy Regular Member

Posses the question though, just what percentage of the time are the using there own branded strings throughout the season? Also anyone know, will designated stringers at tournaments string any string if provided? you think the teams coaches would come with string for the players, or is the stringer bound to that brand.

14. dbswansea

dbswansea Regular Member

IT
    The stringers probably arent allowed to string other manufacturers strings inside the arenas. Sometimes things are as simple as they appear.

15. visor

visor Regular Member

But something as simple and discreet as a thin piece of string that you can't even distinguish one brand from another even from a foot away, I don't understand this restriction.

And if a player insists on a particular string, I'm sure no one will reject him if he provides the string.

16. craigandy

craigandy Regular Member

I thought things were simple but then find out it's totally complicated. So at most yonex tournaments more often than not at the closing stages all players will have converted from there usual strings to Yonex ones or if they are away doing a few yonex tournaments in a row?
    At Lining sponsored tournaments is there yonex stringing or does everybody start using Lining string eventually. Do pro's even consider consistency with strings? even though they demand it with the shuttle changing every rally or two?

I just thought Pro's used one type of string and stuck with it, either taking many rackets to cover their tournament or ensuring they had their string and facility for it to be strung but obviously not??

17. Steve the noob

Steve the noob Regular Member

They use ones they are used to. At the Yonex All England, Mark and Paul were stringing Victor sponsored players with Victor strings.

18. craigandy

craigandy Regular Member

Apparently not

19. Hullabaloo

Hullabaloo Regular Member

I imagine teams or manufacturers may choose to send stringers and equipment to tournaments. Hence why at Yonex All England mark and Paul where there stringing for Victor, but maybe no Victor stringer at the Australian Open so they may be limited to using the tournament sponsor stringer (stringing may be free for the players?). I'd be interested to know if the tournament sponsor stringer (eg Yonex at the Australian Open) would string non yonex strings if the player brought their own?

20. R20190

R20190 Regular Member

Chartered Civil Engineer
    Don't forget that some players actually string their own racquets or have their coach or someone on their national team string the racquet for them. I suspect that they would be provided with strings from their sponsor which they can give to their nominated stringer.

I find it difficult to believe that players would alternate between brands depending on where they play.