Why is LCW inferior to LD?

Discussion in 'Professional Players' started by green_day, Jan 30, 2011.

1. visor

visor Regular Member

lcw actually did quite well this time around with ld

despite losing, he only lost by a little

instead of playing reactively, he was actually controlling the game more than ld in all 3 games, to the point where ld was visibly tired in his footwork and breathing hard

however, ld when he wants to, he can drastically "inject pace" into his game (as gillian clark would say) to elevate it to a level beyond lcw, if only temporarily for a couple of shots.... and that's all that counts

2. Login

Login Regular Member

not sure if this can be debated,

but how about the theory that LD is left handed, he plays against more right handed players (majority of them)

i believe LD somehow have the advantage of dealing with right handed players
    LCW however plays mostly against right handed players, and vs LD, the familiarity isn't there

not sure about LCW training with left handed players though

3. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
    This may be true. At one time BAM arranged some left handed sparring partners for LCW but don't what happen after that. Maybe their skills are not up to the mark.

"WISHING ALL CELEBRATING A HAPPY AND PROSPEROUS CHINESE NEW YEAR"

4. green_day

green_day Regular Member

This is the title from The Star: "Chong Wei to work on overcoming disadvantage against Lin Dan"

The same article says:

"Will he continue to play second fiddle to Lin Dan?"

http://thestar.com.my/sports/story.asp?file=/2011/2/1/sports/7910563&sec=sports

The Malaysian press is even saying it ...

5. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    Wrong conclusion: LCW defeated LD only 4 months ago

Wrong conclusion. :p:p:p

LCW defeated LD only 4 months ago, at the 2010 Japan Open SS.

6. pjswift

pjswift Regular Member

That s because Malaysian press has inferior writers. And BAM has inferior execs.

Are you aware, from CHN coaches behavior, they consider LCW as superior to LD?

7. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

..LD lost to a player not even Chen Long has probably heard of (2009 EAG)...but that's very2 rare, just like him losing to PSH..
    Also, it's not really a foregone conclusion that LD will win if he faces LCW. LD has lost a few times before to LCW.
    As for the original question, imo, it comes down to mental and poise. I saw the match and paid attention to the last few pts of the 3rd game (starting at 16 all). I thought LCW for some reason just lost the mental focus and composure, maybe wasn't patient, esp. when he made that 2 crucial errors (smashing into the net & giving an easy lollipop to LD for the easy net kill).
    off topic:
    ..this is common in BC, and really not a surprise!
    For now, best thing to hope for (if anyone wants to see a "peaceful" BC) is for the 2012 OG to come and end quickly. Once it's over, LD and LCW will call it a day. Then hopefully good riddance to all the noisemakers and all these insults as both of them won't play any longer..so, start counting down..:cool:

8. pBmMalaysia

pBmMalaysia Regular Member

badminton coach

'will he continue to play second fiddle to ld' &

'why is lcw inferior to ld' same meaning to you? :D

Even when lcw beat chen long and du penyu 21-9, 21-9 & 21-10, 21-10 recently,

I still don't call them 'inferior' to lcw :D

Because I know the nature of the game well :) ;)

9. terencechan

terencechan Regular Member

There is no doubt LCW is inferior to LD at the moment. You only need to look at the head to head record. If you've been following LD's career, you'll know he didn't play to his max in Korea. He was cruising, then pushed up a gear or two when LCW was getting close. However, the game in Korea showed the LCW has closed the gap significantly. Controversial as it may sound, but I believe LD 's losses to unknowns is probably due Yong Boo's orders to give China's up and coming players like Chen Long and Pengyu to improve their world ranking and get a crack at LCW.

sia;1619248]'will he continue to play second fiddle to ld' &

'why is lcw inferior to ld' same meaning to you? :D

Even when lcw beat chen long and du penyu 21-9, 21-9 & 21-10, 21-10 recently,

I still don't call them 'inferior' to lcw :D

Because I know the nature of the game well :) ;)[/QUOTE]

10. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    so much of inferiority.. I'm speechless.. lol. ;)

11. pBmMalaysia

badminton coach

Just looking at the head to head record can tell lcw is inferior, boy oh boy :confused:

So if I look at h2h between ld and the Korean guy, I even forgot his name :D

who beat him in ag 2009, ld must be inferior to him? :confused:

That guy can't even pass preliminary rounds these days :D

Regarding his cruising with lcw in Korea,

I suppose you were following them there? :D

Tell us if cruising in the first set why so close and again in the last set at 16 all?

Seriously, I am interested to learn something from you :)

12. terencechan

terencechan Regular Member

You can't dispute the facts. Here are the facts.

The Korean guy who's beaten LD a few times is Park Sung Hwan. He does not have a winning record against LD. In fact, no one has a winning record against LD. This info was research by "freelast" in the threat below. This info speaks of it's self.
    http://www.badmintoncentral.com/for...s-the-best-head-to-head-record-of-top-players

Nope, I couldn't make the trip to Korea because I was busy making some Maggi mee minutes before the match. I watched the match anyway from home. It was a close match because of the following obvious reasons :
    1. LCW has improved and played a hell of a match.
    2. LD only started to smash during the closing stages of each set. Although I don't have the stats to back this up, those who watched the match would agree that LD wins 90% of the time he attacks. That's why LD always takes racks up multiple points quickly during the closing stages of the match. He didn't choose a more defensive strategy to conserve energy, but to practice his strokes. If you doubt LD's stamina, you've got to watch LD's older matches when he first came out to the scene.
    3. You see LD using the backhand so many times.. and almost every time to LCW's forehand. Why? .. So that he can practice his defense!

My theory is LD is trying to build another dimension to his game. What better way to do it than to test it out against the next best player in the world - LCW. If LCW gets close, just smash a few to get some easy points.

Ok.. it's a controversial theory. Eh, it's only my take on the subject. If Wikileaks hacked into Yong Boo's computer, we'll see the truth.. For now the truth will remain hidden in the x-files..

LCW also test strokes against lesser opponents.... but that's another story... (*credits*)

Hope you picked up a tip or two "WINK".. Now back to my maggi mee.

13. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    in statistics, there is something called the law of large numbers. basically what it says is that if there are more sample points, the results given by the sampling is more accurate. having a small sample of just one match is not telling enough of who is stronger.

however, in the case of LCW vs. LD, there are many more sample points so that give more weight to the conclusion drawn.

14. pBmMalaysia

badminton coach
    You got the wrong korean guy, he's not psh but choi hoi jin ;)

so low profile i even forgot his name earlier but he has the best h2h record with ld-1:0 :D

So is ld inferior to him the day he lost?

Nah..play 10 times ld would whack him 10 times ;)

H2h is just a record of matches played between 2 players and as kwun mentioned,

there many sample points to give more weight to our conclusion drawn :)

Here, lcw/ld case is quite different, we should only use their last 5 meetings

and their overall last 5 performances in tournaments (2nd sample)

In this case, lcw is still world no.1, nobody can dispute this pure hard fact :D

But you may ask why lost to ld this time, hell for me I also ask that same question :eek:

As for ld, where were him in the last 5 tournaments? :D

and for this I will consider 'facts' so can't agree with you using h2h can determine lcw is inferior to ld :D

Anyway, maggi mee over tv with egg is good, it won't choke :D

15. pBmMalaysia

badminton coach
    Yes, true and as for the Korean guy I was just pulling his leg :D

No way we can use that to judge his performance with ld,

with due respect, he couldn't even qualify for most ss :eek:

16. pjswift

pjswift Regular Member

Unofficial H2H

Please, let s not be conned by the H2H.

There have been so many occasions when LD felt not good enough to match LCW he opted to withdraw or give away the match to his teammate. LD will ensure that the H2H remains in his favour by playing this cowardly game.

So why don t we put things in perspective by starting an unofficial H2H. Every time LD gifts a walkover or match to his teammate when he s on course to play LCW, count it as a win for LCW.
    So for 2011 to date, unofficial H2H for LD:LCW is 0:2

When you review the past few years, there must be at least 6 or 7 occasions this happened . I may be wrong so it will be great if someone can verify the total.
    Would be quite illuminating discovery.

17. volcom

volcom Regular Member

lol grandma pj... :eek:
    What an amazing innovation in the sport of badminton!! One of the most enlightening of the 21st century!
    Unbelievable! :)

18. administrator

administrator Regular Member

it is very amusing to read how far datuk's fans will write to justify that
    a) datuk only lose to super dan bcos of mental strength
    b) datuk is just a step away from beating lin dan after each crushing loss.

reality check,

in korean open final, it is very clear that super dan was in control of the match the whole time. whenever he steps up to attack, it is surely a point.
    more devastatingly, super dan can match datuk point for point even when he is trying out the new dimension to his game, the patient rally.

this certainly proves that super dan is truly a badminton genius. he just keeps on perfecting his game even though he is already invincible.

datuk is also a very good player, and some say malaysia's 3rd best singles player after rashid sidek and tan aik huang.
    with his skills and strengths, easily he can become world champion, all-england champion, asian games gold IF super dan doesn't exist or comes years earlier or later.
    such a tragedy.
    each time miss boon 'thought' that he's got super dan figured out, super dan easily outfox them and made them look like fools.
    :mad:

19. pBmMalaysia

badminton coach
    Heello there and bravo..nice post... :D :D :D

super dan...

datuk....

mental strength...

crushing loss....

rashid sidek....

tan aik huang....

many champions....

miss boon...

tragedy....

outfox.....

fools....

Btw nice name you have there, administrator but don't I know you from somewhere ? :D

20. AlanY

AlanY Regular Member

yes, why dont we go one step further.

LCW must be unofficially the best MS ever,
    olympics champion, twice at least,
    asian champion, twice again,
    world champion, lets say 3 times, unofficially, and of course
    all england, must be at least 5-6 times easily.
    thomas and sudirman cup, well just too many to mention, unofficially of course.